Register now to get rid of these ads!

JJ Hydrogen land speed record

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Musico, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

2. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Did it have Hurst white-wall cheaters?

3. dbradley

dbradley

Duct tape, ball bat and hammer. A true hot rod.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

All that and no 200 club stuff? I sure hope they keep trying and get into the 200's. Gary

5. Indocil Art

Indocil Art

Cool. If you can get past the TV fake shit its a cool show. Congratulations

6. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

All that engineering and JJ didn't even get into the Two Club. :confused:

Dunno. Maybe next year.

7. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

740 HP and a streamliner body, you would think that would get you to 200. Just goes to show you that crap happens sometimes. I bet they will get it over 200.

Heck they beat BMW's attempt by 15 MPH and BMW makes cars for a living and has who knows how many engineers. I think that is a pretty impressive feat there.

I wonder what the dyno sheet looks like on that motor.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

One has to wounder about Rick Byrnes 207.279 hydrogen-powered record. It was a fuel cell car not a piston engine. Just what are they claiming?

9. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Wondering it he will be on the Salt this year? Congrats for the run......but, will he have the "Boyd" camera's on the salt this year.

10. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Jesse James is too damn crazy and dangerous !
    All are true hot rodders doing what they had to make it work . BB bats and all but what ever happened to the "BFH" we all have ?

11. Take that Donald Trump!

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

A lot of people do not understand the Two club. They do what ever they want to do as it's their club and they can. And going 199 on the dirt, your first time out in a 'liner is a big achevment. No doubt about it. But had Jesse gon a mile an hour faster i seriously doubt that would have gotten him into the Two club. First off he is at El Mirage and most Two club numbers are measured over a mile in two directions. Not possable on the lake. It may very well get him into the Dirty Two Club for those who go two on the dirt. But the Two Hundred Mile an Hour Club has mininums. JJs car with a 572 engine would be an "AA" Streamliner. The record for an AA/Gas Streamliner is 364.761 and you would have to break that record to gain entry into the Two club. If it was deamed that Hydrogen made it a Fuel class car then the record is 377.716 mph. Just going 2 won't do it. It's nice going Two Hundred.
    I have and I liked it. But my 208 in a class where at the time the record was 216 wasn't all that much. So no red hat for me. That;s what Jesse is up against.

13. LongT

LongT

I work for the company that supplied the hydrogen for that car. They put a hydrogen refueling station on a flatbed and took it out to Bonneville.
    Bill

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  14. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

from a reliable source that was there JJ said he figured it would go 210 the first run no problem .... the guy that told me this could also be a liar but it would be belivable...

15. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

What's the 800 number to buy JJ's life? Sheesh.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

DUH. Well I guess I'm one of the folks that doesn't understand it. 200 is 200. If the record is 377 for a class, and someone in that class goes 225, they HAD to go 200 to get there, eh? So what ifn they didn't bread a record? The SCTA has some crazy BS rules, eh? Gary

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good for you Jesse. Was this run made in the old "Pimpkin Seed" liner? If so how old is that car?

18. Brickster

Brickster

Congrats JJ and team, it would be great to see it on the salt. Any LSR on tv is a good thing.

Brick

19. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

As a side note the El Mirage lakebed is not very good this season. Over the weekend (06-14-09) at the SCTA meet the fastest car "only" went 210 mph. The course ain't that good. J.J. did well.

20. dawg

dawg

dude, i hope u got my email?....

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You sure don't get it. The Two Hundred Mile an Hour Club is not a function of SCTA or BNI. It is it's own club with it's own rules. Like any other club. You don't get to join the VFW just because you want to and it's the same for the 2 club. Even if it was 200 that would not open it up to all the drag cars that have gone 200. It's over a measured mile twice, faster than the existing record. That's the way it is. If you want you can always start your own club and make your own rules.

22. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

Good man Rich. Some guys don't get it. If it was easy all them Indy car drivers would be members too....

23. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Very COOL

Way to go Homes..!!

24. Death Trap13

Death Trap13

Saw that clip today good going jj.

25. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

pretty cool. good looking car.

26. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

all i want to know is who had a ball abt on the lake? and why?

27. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Great job! Love this picture!
    [​IMG]

28. myphaeton 27

myphaeton 27

Looks like minuscule RC cars aren't the only alternatively powered vehicles trying to break 200 miles-per-hour, as Ford just became the "world's first automaker to set a land speed record for a production-based fuel cell powered car." The whip used to set the bar, of course, is none other than the Fusion Hydrogen 999, and it reportedly reached over 207 miles-per-hour at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Wendover, Utah without using a drop of gas. Apparently, Ford is hoping that this showcase of speed will somehow translate into advancements that will help us common folk get to work and back sans gasoline, and while we've no idea when a fuel cell propelled Cobra will roll off the line, it did note that a number of fuel cell propelled Focus vehicles were still burning down the roads as part of an ongoing study.

29. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

This is awesome. I really do believe that Hydrogen will be our replacement for gasoline. Congratulations Jesse.

30. dlamerton

dlamerton
    from plymouth