Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Speaking of builders there were quite a few represented in this group of sprinters. Grant King, Don Edmunds, Jerry Day, Hank Henry, Jerry Malloy, Tognotti, Frank Kurtis. ...This is Jerry Day in the Kurtis 2000. He is the current caretaker of this car and it couldn't be in better hands. He sold the #76 RAM car to another club member and is restoring the original RAM sprinter which was developed by him and Jan Opperman. He was recently able to purchase what was left of it .Because of his long friendship with Jan and that one being the 1st of a series of very successful cars makes it all the more special. That car should be his ride for next season.

Attached Files:

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Todays sprint cars are waaay fast, lightweight and very ridged. When they crash they don't dissipate energy well and it's transfered into the weakest link; the driver. (Just being realistic here) but look at what they have done with IRL cars,Nascar's COT and the new pavement S/C cars for example. I don't think it really matters what age you are or if you have a $2000 helmet on your head, if you bounce your brain off the inside of your skull, or pull it loose from your spine, you're probably gonna be toast.

3. Since I am involved in todays sprint car racing, I'll share my observations.
    Other than USAC, which I am familiar with their rules, they require a HANS type of device which must be approved. Some local tracks do not. I saw a violent flip last year at Gas City where the helmet came off the driver completely and flew out of the car. Fortunately the driver was not hurt. A good seat by a name manufacturer is a must. A Butler seat is the best for protection that I see on the market today. It still must be installed correctly which I have seen some that I question. Arm restraints at the proper length and the HANS straps at the proper length. 3 inch wide seat belts installed properly, which I have seen some in question. I have seen seats to close to the top of the rollbar halo where the body can stretch under centrifical force to take the helmet out of the roll cage. A quality helmet is a must and the chin strap must be installed at the correct angle and no quick release buckle.
    As stated earlier, these cars as sooooo much faster than even 5 years ago, and the roll cage is stiff and does not give like the design of Indy cars. 850 hp and 1200 lb cars and the skill of the young fearless drivers is a sight to see. Yes, one can still get hurt in these types of cars, but with the best safety equipment installed correctly, the odds are very good one will climb out and walk if not stagger away to race another day.
    Some young kids were hurt in the last year and the sport lost a good person in Chad Mcdaniel who was 34 yrs old. For those of us who have been around since the days of no roll bar, no fire suits, and other safety equipment the serious injuries and deaths have been very small in numbers. Yes, this is still a dangerous sport and one can get hurt, but it's a LOT safer than it was. That's why it takes a special person to strap into one of these cars. That's also why it is the most exciting racing on the planet. After going to Midget Week in Indiana, then watching a NASCAR race on TV, I fell asleep during the cup race.

HG :cool:

4. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Just found a few old pics of Champ cars at Langhorne, mostly 1955

This is Wally Campbell in the Ray Brady Spl. I dont know who built this car.

[​IMG]

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I couldn't agree more Mr Gene.

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Champcarstats sez it's a Schroeder chassis, 1954.

7. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Thanks Rootie;

Next one is the best of the best; Jimmy Bryan, Dean Van Lines Spl at the Horne.

[​IMG]

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The pic of Wally Campbell in the 33 Brady car got me curious as to how prolific a car builder G. Schroeder was. I checked the Schroeder website and they claim he built 2 cars for the 1951 500. However there are 3 cars identified as Schroeder's in the 51 stats, the #52 Ball car, the #6 Dinsmore car and the #63 car driven by Geo. Fonder (owned by Brady). The 6 and 52 car are identical, however the 63 car looks to be quite different. This makes me think there this was built by a different Schroeder.(?)

From 1954 I found three more 'Schroeder' cars, the #74 Linden car (looks the same as the #6-52 cars from 1951), the #41 Blakely Oil car driven by Tony B. and the #33 Duncan car which is the same as Spikes pic but very different from the 74-41 cars.
    Does anyone know if there was another car builder by the name of Schroeder at that time?

Attached Files:

9. racer5c

racer5c

Why don't you you just call Gary Schroeder and ask him?

818-565-1133

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Actually, after looking deeper, the Brady car is indeed G. Schroeder built, but a earlier, more traditional version. The 2 1951 Indy cars, are the next gen. tricked out aluminum/magnesium framed, IFS'd versions.

Attached Files:

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

12. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Speaking of race car builders how about Walter (MAX) Reichenbach of The Reichenbach Brothers in Chicago Ill.

13. KK500

KK500

Johnny Thomson/George Salih Offy laydown Indy 500 1958?

Pic from Monterey 2007.

More pics below

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  14. KK500

KK500

1958 McNamara Chiropractic Watson/Offy

Pics at Monterey 2007

Attached Files:

15. KK500

KK500

Smokey Yunick's City of Daytona Offy.

Pics at Monterey 2007.

Attached Files:

16. KK500

KK500

Top row.............1961 San Diego Steel Products Chevy.
    Bottom row......... Turbo Offy.......continues next thread.

Pics at Monterey 2007

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  17. KK500

KK500

Eye candy...........suggestions welcome.
    Cactus Jack Turner

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  18. KK500

KK500

1935 Pirrung Special
    Monterey 2007

Attached Files:

19. KK500

KK500

1964 Watson Leader Card
    Monterey 2007

Sorry................a bit modern!:eek:

Attached Files:

20. oldebob, nice pix. This is the Gordon Reid car, right?? Who were the other 3 cars ??
    mlight9.

21. KK500

KK500

More of the above sorry they're mixed, found another folder but got "mouse cramp".

Jim

Attached Files:

22. " Johnny Thomson/George Salih Offy laydown Indy 500 1958? "

In 1958 Jimmy Bryan drove the Salih car to victory in the Indy 500. It was the same car that Sam Hanks drove to victory in 1957. Can't see much of the car in the photo but the last time I saw the car in May 2009 it was in the museum in Indy. I know they get them out for loan every so often, but this does not look like the same car to me. What say, Roy, Big John?

23. KK500

KK500

Monterey 2007

Attached Files:

24. KK500

KK500

Burd

Attached Files:

25. KK500

KK500

Monterey 2007
    Leader Card, Agajanian Willard Battery Special, Sheraton Thomson Special.

Attached Files:

26. A follow up on the yellow laydown roadster....

I think it is the car Eddie Kuzma built for Art Lathrop and Coleman Glover for Johnny Thomson to drive in 1958. It is the D-A lubricant special.

27. KK500

KK500

Display of Race of Two Worlds roadsters

Attached Files:

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The #39 turboed roadster is the Racing Associates Watson driven by Bobby Grim in 66. One of the "last gasp" roadsters, got caught up in the big wreck on the front straight.

Attached Files:

• bg.jpg
      bg.jpg
      File size:
      93.5 KB
      Views:
  29. KK500

KK500

John Zink Special, Bardahl Ferrari Maserati Special, Belond Exhaust Special, Pennzoil, 1946 Ross Page Special, Troy Ruttman Agagajanian Special

Attached Files:

30. KK500, how about a full shot of the Acme Machine midget??? Very good pix.
    mlight9.