Register now to get rid of these ads!

History MAS racing mn out of business

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Jun 16, 2009.

1. butch27

butch27

I saw over on the T- Bucket site that someone in MN is selling the glass bodies at half price??

2. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

36-3window,what are you doing up at 7a

3. butch27

butch27

Oh and on E-Bay.

4. :eek: http://www.masracing.biz/index.html :D

5. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

If the discussion is directed at the current state of mail order business, Jeg's and Summit, that is a whole nother topic.

MAS did a good job for many years, the business was sold, changed location, recently backed off advertising and from what is being said went down the tubes.

Sorry, but when 36 3-window makes a blanket statement like: "They never went out of there way to be a part of hot rodding in MN !!!" I call it.

He then later says he went there 25 years ago and was all pissed off about something, never went back. Sounds like he had some chip on his shoulder over the years.

Bottom line is I have seen retail sales at speed shops first hand, well beyond MAS counter, and I have to tell you that customers have tried to pull off all kinds of crap, return parts that were installed, lied through their teeth about application, on and on, the store is not always at fault. I have no idea what happened at that particular instant in time 25 years ago, but get real, MAS had been in business for 40 years, they certainly did not ignore the market, or was not a part of local hot rodding.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

James- Let it go man... I know what your saying.

I just stepped back into the shop after a trip to Bruce Ross's shop. Bruce said Rich will not get the store back, he sold his home here and is moving to his lake home in Wisconsin and officially retiring.

Love or Hate MAS they supplied lots of locals with parts and was around for a million years.

Also sounds like Bruce may be going back into the axle business....

7. i never said that

8. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Post #11

9. but i did say that...was it you that waited on me?

10. what? better have your eyes checked , that was someone else

11. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

I had a loyal customer base, worked on Hennepin in 1975-6. There were few if any problem customers as I recall. But a long time ago to remember everyone.

12. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

OK you are right, that was a post with a quote, sorry for the confusion. Too late for me to go back and change the name of the post I quoted, again sorry for the mis-quote on that.

13. James , that is ok

i understand you wanting to defend a place of business that appears to have fond memories for you. i agree with you that at one time they were the big boys in hot rod parts here in Minnesota. i may be wrong on this , but from my viewpoint they did little to get my business in recent years, and others did...just my opinion,you have your's . let's leave it at that....ok?

14. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

10-4, agree.

15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I'm sorry to hear of Gary's passing. I remember when he started MAS in the 60's.

16. oldrodslive

oldrodslive

It's a good thing my buddy Steve and I raided their dumpster when they were moving from the St. Paul location. Not to mention the premier issue of AUTO BUFF!!! circa 1980 we dug out!

17. Diesel627

Diesel627

it sucks the closed up, it was pretty flippin nice to have a speed shop real close, they didn't allways have what I needed, and some times it was more, but it was still the shit to be able to go and have parts now, instead of ordering. I was real happy they moved over to oakdale as they were only a mile from my house, but I knew they wernt doing so well when I went in there to get a sbc intake gasket set, and a 4 barrel carb t intake gasket and they didn't have either in stock, shit even autozones got that stuff. It was interesting to read this post and catch all the history I them, I didn't realize how long they had been around or all ther involvement in the industry, it I guess I'm still a youngster

18. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

For what it's worth, I have been buying axels and hairpins through Rich at MAS fpr years. If I called and told him just what i wanted, it would be on my door step in 3-5 days. It was an old company that just didn't stay with the current marketing trends. I, for one, am saddened to see them go. Jmo

Ron

19. Billet

Billet

I live in the twin towns and MAS wasn't my first choice to go for parts. I was met with indifference the few times I went in for parts. There seems to be problem with people relating customer satisfaction with "their" continued employment. A who gives a shit attitude. You can either fold the tent, wiping the snot bubbles off your face OR spend your money were ever you like- I feel that we have lost a piece of Minnesota racing history- But it's business- nothing personal
    Good Luck

20. I see that they are auctioning off all there stuff at k-bid.com

21. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Do you have a direct link?

22. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

23. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

24. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

25. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

26. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

27. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

28. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

29. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  30. eracer , you are bring up an old thread...but i will restate what i have already said

i agree that at one time they were the big player , and were involved with all sorts of race cars and other neat stuff. but that was 25-30-35 years ago . what had they done in the last 10 years to get anyone's business?