Register now to get rid of these ads!

June Banger Meet - All new in '09

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildfire, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

If it`s not the Bee`s Knees, Greg, it`s certainly the Ducks Nuts....

2. ok so not as low as Chris's and Elrods cars but it is all stock components as in 32-34 front suspension with a model a wishbone and reversed eye model a spring. the only non oem ford parts were the spacers that i had to machine up to fit the later axle in the earlier wishbone (.250 thick)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    let me know what you think
    tk

3. Hi guys, thanks for your comments - will post updates asap

4. I got the bar at the portland swap meet. It's stainless and who ever built it did a nice job. Off an old rod, and the headlights were super high. I cut the legs down 6"

5. Elrod

Elrod

Chris. Yup. My first thought was condenser. You may also just check to see if it's grounding out in the distrib. If it's a reproduction new one or recent reproduction, its very possible it went bad.

6. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Hey fellas, im about to pick up a '28 A tomorrow. I want to run the banger but im thinking about putting an aluminum head on it. Is this a bolt on item? What is required for the install? New water pump? Also, are the starters interchangeable with the V-8's? Its missing the starter...

7. I tried an old condensor I had and it did help, although it still misses a little it seems. I have had 2 carbs on it and that made no difference, so I'm going to try a whole new distributor. Seems the more I advance it, the worse the miss gets, so I'm guessing it has somthing internally wrong or grounding. My had has piles of Distributors, so it's no biggie to just swap one out.

8. Not overly banger related but here is the progress I made of the frame to start to steel the body out opposed to running a wood kit

Attached Files:

9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

hey guys can any one help me hook up my tachometer? I got a old sun tach off Ebay on the back of the tach here is 3 hook ups BAT. dist. and ground it is a 6 volt. I hooked up the wire straght to the bat. and got the light to work but how do I hook it to the distributor I hooked it to the points and got nothing so I hooked it the condenser hold down screw I didnt think it would work but it was a place I could hook the wire to. Do I need any parts that didnt come with the tach.?
    thanks Bill

10. Elrod

Elrod

Usually there is a battery inside that has long since gone dead if it is the kind with the "brain" that you hook up to the tach

11. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Chris, just went through this on my touring. It would run great, then start missing and back firing. New carb., pulled the tank and cleaned it, nothing helped. Then I tried a $5.00 new condenser and it has ran great ever since.

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I only got the tach. it self in the old fac. box
    Model #RF-2 6 volt 4 cyl.
    I will take the cover off the back of the tach.
    Bill

13. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I took the back cover off the tach. I was not the 1st one to do so there are 2 wire not hooked up to anything. I think I will send it out for repairs. Anyone know a of a good place? I might email sun them self they might help
    Bill

14. Figured it out. I was on my way to my Dads and it started cuting out really bad and finally died. I was thinking- I never had any problem with this engine in my coupe, so why now in a new car. Everything is the same, and it only cuts out when it gets warm. Then it hit me. Bad coil. Put another one on and the thing runs great!

Take a ride with me and Lucy
    [​IMG]

15. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Chris, glad you figured it out. Love your passenger!

16. A-Wall

A-Wall

just about to get my stock banger back together and was wondering what weight oil you recommend? it's mostly going to be a summer vehicle but im sure ill drive it in the spring and fall when its a bit cooler out.

thanks

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I took the car out and put it through the paces at the Antique Nationals today.

I would really like to thank Jim Brierly for his great show of sportsman ship today. I got to the track today and the bendix on my started took a dump. After asking several people if they had one to sell, Jim stepped up and lent me his spare. Now I know I could have suffered the day and push started it when needed, but having a functioning starter shurley helped me focus on racing.

Thanks Jim.

Here are a couple of videos I took.

18. Crazy, What times did you run?

19. My day at the Antique Nationals turned out to be a bummer. My friend, Narod, drove the car to the tech inspection and it died. Then , in the Panic Thrash to get it started, it backfired and broke the bendix gear on the starter. There seemed to be a fuel problem but couldn't check it out with out a starter. Jim B didn't have a spare. I took exactly 2 photos.

One is the pit crew, Narod, his wife Betty,and my wife, the Ramp Lady, is facing away. Betty is clipping Super market coupons while my wife and Narod watch. This is what old people do in the pits.

The roadster in the photo belongs to Tom Conley, one of 5 that he owns, this one has a blown flathead in it. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  20. Elrod

Elrod

Two bendix failures? Time to order these guys. At $30, how can you go wrong?

[​IMG][​IMG]

I actually had one of these come apart in the parking lot of the Lonestar Round up last year, but I pulled the starter and saw that the snap ring had come loose. I just snapped it back together and back on the road in 30 minutes.

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

My best time was 17.963 @ 71.51 mph.

That is the same type of bendix that I had problems with.

22. Don't believe that that type will work with a V8 flywheel.

23. aldixie

aldixie

Ok Guy's, I've got the banger bug, after seeing Elrod's and Chris's cars. Spent last weekend taking the motor apart that came with my Coupe project. The motor turned over freely and has a few scratches in one of the cylinders but held compression. Got the oil pan cleaned out today as there was a lot of mud and crap from where the engine had been standing with no oil filler cap. Have a hole in the oil pan that appeared after cleaning. I was surprised as the engine had oil in it and didn't leak. Here's my progress so far, engine is just mocked up as I have to get some new valves, gasket kit etc. The carb is completely shot so thinking about a down draft conversion.

Attached Files:

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

ForEverFour,

I am really liking the look of your T roadster...nice work. I don't recall seeing much about the suspension. What are you planning for suspension and how you gonna lower/ set it up?

25. Crazy, those vids bring some memories! I have only ever had eail contact with Jim Brierly but all I can say is what a neat guy and very helpful.

Yes, Crazy what times?

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I am digging that Deuce! What width are the rear wheels?

Thanks mate. I am using all 1928 Model A running gear and suspension. However I am unsure how the A front end may look so may need a T one.

26. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Looks like the one on my '40...no issues with it on 12V.

27. I guess I shoulda said V8 flywheel on a model "A B" engine!

28. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

On the head bolts! Re-torq to spec, and run strait water instead of antifreeze, the water will rust the head stud treads shut. My flathead V8 just quit leaking.

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

My best time was 17.963 @ 71.51 mph.

This is what I brought home:

[​IMG]

30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here are some pictures I took at the Nats.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lots of cool Bangers there. Big thanks for the Four Ever Four club for putting this on each year. It is one of three events that are a must for me each year.

Thanks again Jim !!!!