Register now to get rid of these ads!

What sound better, vacuum or electric wolf whistle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alex1954chevy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

i want a wolf whistle. should i spend the extra cash for a vacumn one or go with an electric one?

2. Vacumn --- You can make it droll with a little practice

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Wolf whistles ain't wolf whistles if not powered by vacuum.

4. zorch

zorch

YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT? The electric wimp things make a kind of canned squeak, A well-oiled vacuum whistle not only makes a right shriek when yanked, but if you get good with it you can get all kinds of cool sounds out of it. The difference is like the difference between a popcorn fart and a four-burrito, twelve-beer next-morning jockey-juicing maggot-gagger.

For my money, and I've spent a lot on wolf whistles, get a vintage Yoder or FLASH unit. They're on ebay all the time. The Jubilee whistles aren't bad, but they don't really feel like the quality of a Yoder or Flash. Cheaper construction. Some Jubilees have a plastic bell and some have a metal bell. If you got to go Jubilee at least get a metal bell. There were some other brands as well but you never see them and when you do it's long money.

I have taken Yoders apart and used fine grade lapping compound on the valve and seat to ensure a seal. I think that's overkill unless you have a real leaking problem, and now I'd just replace it, I think. I also find you have to take the little siren unit out and oil it at least once a season. A nylon stocking as a filter might help that, I dunno. I's not exactly a big deal to pluck the siren out and dribble some 3-in-1 into it. Somebody makes filters, I believe.

Anyway, forget the cheezy electrics like they were never there. Go vintage. Operate the good vintage whistle with a well-greased choke cable. Drive happy. :cool:

5. ^ well put.

dont be fooled by the re-pop vac ones that a few places sell. they are cheaply made, some even made out of plastic. and the actual siren chopper thing itself is pretty cheezy.

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

screw the whistle, a set of open headers will get everyone's attention!

7. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

VACUUM...is the only way to go..... kinna dorky, but the vacuum was the way they where.

8. I'm witcha on that 1.