Register now to get rid of these ads!

barn find "little monster" (new york guy's help) Pic's update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JustplainJ, Jun 13, 2009.

1. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

OK, you have to look at all pages of post's on this thread because I have posted many new pic's and info as I get it.... so Just don't look at the first page of pic's and think that's it.
    it's a 50 drag car out of new york. found in the Arizona. desert after being parked for 48 years. orig. owner just died. he was a member of the rod snappers car club n.y. rust looks bad but it's only surface.

OK, so I will relay to you guys what I can put together after speaking to his x wife and daughter.....
    John Breen from freeport long island and built this car at the age of 16- 18 and was a member of the rod snappers club in freeport . the club would hold there meetings at the local police station in an effort to keep kids from drag racing on the street. the car was featured on the Steve Allen show in may of 1959 for it's design, size and that it's appearance is representative of the hot rod cars of the day and because of it's photographic qualities. john raced the car from 58-60 at westhampton and one other raceway in New York where the car turned in it's best time on 93.2 miles an hour.
    car was also shown in Many car shows from New York, new Jersey and Connecticut
    in 1961 john bought a trailer park in Ehrenberg Arizona after doing 2 years in the service, then packed up his belongings and trailered the car to Arizona. the x wife said that he ran the car at lions 3-4 times then the car was parked where it has been ever since.
    I have the recipes for every nut, bolt and washer that he bought for the car.
    Linda said she had thrown away all the notes that people had left for the last 48 years of people wanting to buy the car.
    john had moved big boulders in front of his place with signs the read " stay off my property or I will f#@king kill you'' towards the end if you would even be by the highway he would come out with a gun!
    she said her dad woke up one day did not feel well so she took him to the va hospital where they found out he was full of cancer even in his bones, he lasted about 4 weeks after that.
    back to the car, his x wife said he had painted it with the same paint they used on cigarette machines, black with white specs in it zolatone?
    she also said that john would mention some guy named don garlits that had something to do with the car. she thought he was a nascar guy... I told her no he was a retired drag racer. she said that his name is in the paper work that came with the car but I have not found anything. I'm hoping some of the guy's that where members of the freeport rod snappers can help me fill in more of the gaps.
    as I learn more I will update you guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    anyone have a guess on what year and make for the hub caps?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
    kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  2. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome.... What a history !!!!!

3. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Awesome find man, congrats

4. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

When, where, how,more details please.

5. HotGarbage

HotGarbage
    from Texas

Very cool, nice Nikon shots ;)

6. That's friggin neat! With those big ass tires and fat fender front suspention it looks like a toy. Cool car congrats!!!

7. What are your plans? Gonna restore it,or just get it running?

8. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

9. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

hell, bob I don't know? this was a buy it now or loose it deal that I really cant afford right now! you wont believe the paper work that came with this thing!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  10. madpole

madpole

cool find. its great to still have all of those articles and history with it. those have to be the tallest headlight stands i've seen. did it have a nerf bar at those holes in the back?

11. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

yes, they came with the car just not on it.

12. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Wow, that's a hard one to top as far as "finds" go.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice find! Having all that paperwork is really special, hope a restoration is planned.

15. James427

James427
    BANNED

Great story about a car with an even better story!

16. 6X2

6X2

Sweet find...and history to boot!

17. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

thats unreal...awesome find..

18. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

WOAH! is about all I have to say.. great find.

19. Chopperman

Chopperman

20. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

That is a GREAT find! However, I am concerned about something. What is the material covering the floor in the passenger compartment? I hope it is old carpet, but it looks a lot like the old spray on ASBESTOS construction insulation. Please be very careful if it is! :eek:

Big Bad Dad (aka building inspector)

21. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Great find, I was wondering about that stuff on the floor also.

22. R.Allan

R.Allan
    BANNED
    from Ca

!!!!!! wow!!! pretty sure thats what ive been dreaming about for the last 20 years. .. that is a once in a life time. i am glad a hamb-er got ahold of it. wow. freakin awesome!

23. skunx1964

skunx1964

24. BenW455

BenW455

WOW! That is a great find!

25. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Holy shit!!!!!...Originally from my area...Thank god it went to Arizona years ago or it would've likely morphed into a 2000 lb. unrecognizable hunk of rust

26. Scorch67

Scorch67
    from Omaha, Ne

They really were built all that way back then...

27. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thanks for sharing, Nice shots and a great story. What a strange trip for this car. Nice find. Slim

28. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

man what an awsome car.the history is great!!!money is tight for everybody but i would of gave up my first born for a find like that lol.hopefully in time you can restore it to its orig.glory!!!i know if it was mine i would try to get it running and drive it the way that it is till i could come up with the money.congrats.

29. 31whitey

31whitey

You couldn't make up something better than that.