Register now to get rid of these ads!

fuel gauge Ohms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimv, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Jimv

Jimv

I have a fuel gauge that reads from 0-90 ohms(to replacement my old one) The sender that is in my car is a 33-240 ohm one.Is there anyway to run this gauge? Can i got to radio shack & get a resistor or something?
    Thanks
    JimV

2. can i assume when you say 0-90 ohms you are talking about 1965 and up GM? if so , the 0 is ohms empty and 90 is ohms full

the 240-33 is Stewart Wanner and 240 is ohms empty and 33 is ohms full. as you can see they work completely opposite of each other...i see no way any resister can fix that . if there is way , please someone tell us . i think the only way to make you fuel gauge work properly is with the correct sender

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Dunno but I think if you run it as-is, it'd work like a fuel warning light. Bout 1/8th tank the needle would start plummeting off full :D

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Its not gonna work, sorry.

5. RAY With

RAY With

Fuel Gauges have always been a pain in the ass for most of us. Just did an auto meter full set of 5 inch gauges and had total hell with the gas sender.Took another 50 + bucks and an additional 10 days to get the Ring "adapter" so the screws would line up. They never tell you about all the additional crap you need to use some of there gauges.

6. they can be , but i feel it is worth the effort to get an accurate fuel gauge. i'm proud of the fact that the cars i build have accurate fuel gauges and speedometers..i don't want a call from the side of the road from the owner. all you need is the correct ohms range sender properly setup for the depth of the tank, wired correctly and a good ground

when you say "ring adapter" i assume you mean you have a stock early ford tank with 6 sender mounting holes....yes , you need an adapter to go to the normal 5 bolt. is $50 what they cost now? i think the last one i bought was $15

new aftermarket replacement tanks from places like Tanks and Vintque usually have provisions for a 5 bolt sender. i've used a couple steel tanks from Bob Drake and they had about 3 bolt patterns

7. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, the fuel gauge is always the second question a customer asks, after how to calibrate the speedo. We are working on some programmable fuel gauges so you can run virtually any sender, but its a while out. Faria used to have a programmable sonic fuel level sender that was pretty slick, but they never caught on.

In short, you will need a new gauge (easier) or a new sender (might be cheaper)

Mark

8. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

I have a fuel gauge under my seat.
    It's a stick. . . 1 inch on the stick is about 2-3 gallons of gas.

9. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Interesting all this stuff but what a pain in the A!*#@!!!

I have 51 chevy stock fuel gauge and a new mustang tank which already has a sending unit. Now, where do i get a different sending unit or do i use a resistor? I've been doing research for the last hour and NOTHING!! Im kinda of in a rush to figure that stuff out because my car is getting rewired right now by a friend and we both dont know what to do.:confused:

Thanx

Ian

10. vertible59

vertible59

Been there, done that. The real beauty is, that it works every time and never gives any problems.:D

11. pinupwithgun

pinupwithgun

Where can i get the sender adapter for the ford early tank?

12. duffman

duffman

Ian stewart warner makes fuel guages in all 3 common ohm ratings. Just got one for the mustang tank in my 55. Napa had it in their warehouse for $33.

13. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Im all over it!! The hamb rules!!

Ian

14. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

For the less expensive approach, I gutted the old GM Stewart Warner sender and placed it on my new mustang cougar sender. It takes a little tweaking and testing but float works like it was meant for it. I have better pics somewhere. If I find I will post again.

Peace,
    Chevnut

[​IMG]

15. duffman

duffman

my truck is a GMC, so I have the advantage of being able to put a 2 1/16 guage in the factory spot.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

These guys sell them. You have to call them as it's not shown in thir parts list. But they do sell them. Cheaper to make your own.
    http://www.yogisinc.com/

17. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I find the half-empty/half-full analogy really fits well this time!

If $50 and 10 days is all a problem hangs me up for, I am a lucky man. :D It don't get no cheaper or quicker when it comes to cool cars.