Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have pictures of abandoned Drag Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Jun 10, 2009.

1. brandon

brandon

he isn't over here in ky is he..?

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would kill for that Dorset body!

3. 067chevy

067chevy

What a sad post.

4. Conder

Conder

Hey Kev, is this the old C-T Strokers Willys?......!!!!???

Attached Files:

5. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Currently in my back yard, paitently waiting for attention. :)

[​IMG]

Al in CT

Spooky likes this.
  6. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

You lucky lucky fella.. update us on the progress please.

7. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

The Pontiac below is an orginal factory Super Duty sold by an old guy who thought it was just another Tempest. Later sold by new owner as is for $226.000.

Attached Files:

8. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

This one may be a stretch, depends on your definition of abandoned but it does have a happy ending...This is a photo of the dragster that my late Gradfather raced. It sat from 1965 when he retired from racing until 1997 (the day this photo was taken) when I pulled it from the back building behind my Grandparents property. Building was literally falling down around it. I restored it and it is now a regular participant in NHRR cacklefest. More info on the link in my signature.
    [​IMG]
    In 1997

[​IMG]
    In 2006 NHRR Cacklefest

Spooky likes this.
  9. Nice, 3rd gen! How cool is that?!

10. Is that a gremlin funny in the background? I need that.....

11. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Bill,
    You should be commended for saving a piece of Indiana history. Well done.

Will you be reinstalling the Potvin blower setup?

12. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Thank you for your nice words. Grandpa sold the Potvin shortly before his retirement and I don't know where it ended up (All I have is the mounting bracket and the homemade intake manifold tubes). If I could find one at the right price, then sure, I would install it.

13. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

is that the one n only?

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i just wanted to say i have seen this car at the reunion, and with out a doubt it is a piece of history. thank god its still around. hope to see it there next week end at bg.

15. The Zieminick bros. are the ones that found it.

[​IMG]

16. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

There is 56' Chevy 210 2dr sedan near my parents old house that is an old gasser. It has been sitting in this guys driveway covered since the early 70's and he has a lot of my dad's parts from his ol' 56 Chevy racecar that was wrecked. No pictures of it(yet);) Dad also showed me a 48ish Austin gasser, complete with the blue plexi windows and lace paint on it sitting in a field. I'lle have to dig up some pics from dad and scan them sometime but he rescued a 40' Chevy coupe gasser back in the 70's and turned it into a rod then eventually traded it for 2 Model A's. Last time he saw it was at Daytona Bike week in 78' with NY tags on it. He also had bought a 40' Studebaker gasser with a 413/torqueflight. Someone hopped the fence and stole a bunch of parts including the sheetmetal from it. Ended up getting scrapped.:(

Here is an old abandoned Anglia that was found(not by me) and brought to a Philadelphia Modifiers nostalgia drags swapmeet. I took these pictures back in 2001. He was asking $600 and he dropped to $400 by the end of the day. I couldn't swing the cash at that time to get it.:( I haven't seen it since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Love to see some pics of the '56!

18. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Thank you for your nice words. Yes, I plan on being at Bowling Green next weekend, look me up.:)

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Here is a '53ish Studebaker coupe drag car, found it north and west of Fort Worth. Radiused wheelwells, some kind of scoop made from (I think) the hood of a '39 Ford Standard and a straight axle. Don't know anything about it, except it's cool.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      49 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      59.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      51.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      73.7 KB
      Views:
  20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hot Rod Magazine, May, 1962
    ??????????????

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  21. This is the Willies Pie Wagon I remember from the magazines and National Dragster back in the early 60's. It's obviously not the same truck, but it's easy to see how someones 45 year old memory could get them confused.

22. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Isn't the blue abandoned one a Fiat? Sure looks like it to me.

23. thisbugger

thisbugger

How about a 32 tudor sedan jalopy?

[​IMG]

24. Yes, at least the front 1/2 is. It's the rear section that was supposed to have been added after the Topolino coupe was wrecked in the rear. Hopefully we can eventually get some photos of the back end.

You can see from these photos, it does look like the very rare sedan delivery like the one I imported from France to pull molds for the fiberglass ones I made at Rod 'n Race Fiberglass.

Attached Files:

25. nope hes in columbus ohio (actually grove city)

26. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

pull it the f*#k out of there

27. firingorder1

firingorder1

I was thinking it could be Willie's Pie Wagon on a stretched frame but I think it is something entirely different. The round cut outs behind the door look a lot closer to the door than Willie's. Nice car though.

Willie's Pie Wagon at Riverside HRM meet June 1964.

[​IMG][/IMG]

28. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

The Pie Wagon in this picture is definately a Thames(Anglia) panel. The other photo looks to be the Fiat sedan delivery like Rich stated. Can someone please bring more info and pictures. Since I bought my panel from Rich I have wondered and always felt that someone must have used one as drag car. The picture proves my suspisions, so now I need to know the rest of the story.

29. firingorder1

firingorder1

Other than the Pie Wagon was Wilson and Henderson D/A I don't have any info. Something in the back of my mind remembers an Anglia panel photo in HRM at the nationals in the late 50s. Slightly OT. Hers a shot of fellow Road Runner Jack Masson's panel at El Mirage. Not certain of the year but its all steel except for a ne piece fiberglass front end.

[​IMG][/IMG]

30. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Also very rare. Austin sedan delivery or panel van, not sure how they classified them. really cool. Fender skirts are factory also.