Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone try to build using only American made parts and tools?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Jun 11, 2009.

1. no55mad

no55mad

This may be impossible in this day and age.

2. NoPaint

NoPaint

3. old1946truck

old1946truck

4. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

90% of my tools are snap-on.....parts when i can find them

5. Sando

Sando
    from Burbank CA

Yeah I try...its like going to the supermarket, you gotta read labels. I recently came to own alot of my grandfathers tools and evry sigle one says "made in U.S.A" I know that Im gonna have those forever.

6. I do my best.

I seek out as many used parts as I can. And I own many many US made tools.

You can find an old US made power tool at the swap meet or at a garage sale that will work forever for the same prices a Harbor Freight tool costs.

You just need to look around.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it's too late to start thinking American now. the damage is done.

oooh... did I just get political? sorry. back to HOT RODS

8. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I try to buy everything American made as much as possible. I do have two British cars but they will be American powered and rebuilt with tons of American parts.

I am actually having a hard time finding a nice set of 21" A wires. They make new ones but they are imported.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Come on.... gotta have some tools that say "Hecho en China" on them some where in the shop! :D

10. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i try!!!! most of my tools are snap on and i usually check to make sure its not china made but some times that stuff gets to the door and its got it wrote on there.

11. RClark

RClark

I try in everything that I do. Tools, parts, building material (I'm in the cabinet business), and everything that I can are all American Made. Sometimes it can be very difficult, though. I had a hell of a time finding an American Made lawnmower recently. And I'll never buy another starter or water pump from auto zone, pep boys etc. I don't need a lifetime warranty with an American made part!

12. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

the real question is....

are you using an american made spoon to stir up all this bullshit??

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

YES when possible but do you really think that all the repo parts that you buy are made in the USA ? try again ! All the chrome stuff is from over seas along with the no name nuts , bolts and electrical connectors you use the build your hotrod ! Way too much foreign shit to filter through to find the good stuff !
    Tools are easy but everything else is a shot in the dark ! :eek:

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Nice straight round 21" Model A wires have been hard to find for many years. The best seem to come off older restorations built when the pickings were alot better. Besides round and straight the rolled beads are very susceptible to rust.

15. Yep....always have...

16. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I try every chance i get. Its hard, and expensive. Hell, i havent gotten american made steel delivered to my shop in years. It all has CANADA stamped or inked on it. I guess thats the closest thing to american quality i can get.

New question. American petroleum products?

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Were are my Milwaukee power tools made?

18. DynoDave

DynoDave
    from Michigan

Yes, when I can. There are a few foreign tools that have snuck into my collection.

19. Good One ;)

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Chinese speak Spanish?:rolleyes:

21. I try to use only made in Canada stuff, you think you guys got it tough!

22. moter

moter

I have mostly Snap on, Mac and Matco tools. I have some chinese crap that i use to beat on or cut up. We have a new Snap on 3 ton jack that says "assembled in USA" but on the Snap on web site it is assembled with parts from "other countries" :eek: It has the "Snap on price"... As for parts.......try and buy USA made.

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its hard as hell any more

I try to re-build old stuff, junk yard hunt for old original parts to refurbish..and try to be an educated consumer when i buy "new" stuff..but lately it is ..or has become a daunting task to buy shit new that isnt made some place else..sign of the times probably..
    But I dont give up that easily...
    I like taking crusty shit and trying to fix it up..at least when stuff is 50 to 80 years old i have a dam good chance..it was made HERE

24. spot

spot
    from usa

I try to use all US made parts. It's hard to tell sometimes as a lot of the suppliers off shore the manufacturing and assemble it here.
    All of my air and hand tools are US made. My electric tools are from where ever.

25. Troyz

Troyz

Hard to tell anymore. I've gotten parts thinking they were manufactured in the states only to find that little gold sticker hiding somewhere. It sucks but when you need a part to get something on the road it's hard to send it back. Some of you snap-on, matco, mac guys have more money in your hand tools and box than I do in my car.

26. RODDOORS

RODDOORS
    from NC

WE still manufacturer ALL our parts in the USA (NC). Our seat belts are made in OK, Carpet in AL, Glue in MO, Seats in CA, Billet in TN & GA, even our ABS is made in GA. We still believe in the USA and American workers

Kevin
    RodDoors

27. bobjob55

bobjob55

jap junk is still better than chineezee junk... I try to "buy American"but almost everything is being outsourced these days... fender guitars are made in Mexico because of cheap labor,,RCA made in china,,craftsman india or some other 3rd world country..getting hard to find parts made in USA.. and with so many people out of work inthe USA ..i know we can still build them.. big business just want's a big profit.. and screw us...

28. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I am trying to locate some off an old restored car. I guess that is why am not having any luck. There are some on e bay but they are pretty ugly. I only need 2. When I stop looking I will find them.

29. I started this post 8 years ago and it was to late then. I tried to find Chevrolet small block motor mounts "made in U.S.A." not even from the dealer. made in Pakastan and reboxed GM.
    we are sending all our top technology to a communist country that has no compititon. get used to it our government is all ready borrowing cash from them. it's time to learn to "Press 1 for Chinese, Press 2 for Spanish, Press 3 for English

30. Larry T

Larry T

On the import deal, the last batch of K&N filters I bought said "Made in Taiwan" on the box.
    So yea, you need to check the labels. Kinda hard to do when you're ordering from a warehouse though.
    Larry T