Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some SBF help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Heres the down low. 1967 289cid ford
    Performer intake, holly 4160, points distributor.

Car ran fine until he put a napa rebuilt distributor in it. Ran fine for 2 weeks after, then developed a hiccup at idle. Parked it, and went away for college.

Brought it over to my place. I rebuilt the carb, and the distribuitor - (points cap rotor ect) Distribuitor is tight. Has a dead miss at idle, and hates to rev. Dwell is spot on, nothing burned. Idles like it has burnt points, and starts missing when the rpms climb. Stumbles when you blip the throttle at idle, but responds well at half throttle to punch it.

Im comfused!

I cant get rid of the stumble! New plugs, wires, cap, rotor...ect

My neighbor suggested possibly a bent pushrod.

any ideas?

2. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Did he tighten the dist. after putting it in?.....Those early 289's also had shitty timing chains originally too...Notorious for jumping teeth

3. zorch

zorch

Two classic tests might reveal the culprit--have you tried a timing light? That'll tell you if Eddie's right, and he might very well be.

And run a compression test. If you have a sick hole, then you can find out if the neighbor was right about the bent pushrod or if it's worse.

I'd try the timing light first just because it's easier. Y'know what though, I think I'd want a compression test before I returned it to the owner anyway. From what you described I'd be betting there is a sick hole in there somewhere. :cool:

4. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Compression test. Sounds like a flat lobe on cam.

5. RAY With

RAY With

6. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Have you tried new points? The points those reman dist. come with are junk. Also check the pints resistance and the ground to the points.
    The compression test is always a good idea. When I went to auto tech school ( a loooong time ago) they taught us to do a compression test before you ever attempted a tune up, just to make sure you had a tunable engine.

7. mow too much

mow too much

8. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I put new points in, checked the advace, and tightened the distributor.

Ill do a compression test

9. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

Check all your valve springs you might have some broken springs and just wondering what kind of coil are you running?