Register now to get rid of these ads!

348 for my '60 Belair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RClark, Jun 8, 2009.

1. RClark

RClark

I just started a new project that i've had for quite a while. I bought the '60 here on the HAMB three years ago. I have to admit that it's been somewhat neglected. Driven all over, but neglected. I bought it with a decent running small block in it. Its a later model 305 with a 4 speed behind it. After buying it in TX and driving it home to FL, I made a few modifications to it. New carpet, new guages, and an Offy intake with three Rochesters on it.

It has been a blast to drive, but it wasn't really what I was looking for when I bought it. After buying it I found another car I wasn't exactly looking for but had to buy. A '55 Belair. So the new project began. I started buying parts for it and low and behold I found a model A that I had been wanting. Another round of buying parts and quite a bit of work and then nothing. I got busy with work and moving and general BS and have just recently gotten back to work in the shop.

I had decided to sell the '60 to fund the Model A, but now I 've decided to keep it. But it needs a REAL engine in it. I picked up a '58 348 with three dueces to put in the Model A. It needs suspension before it'll need a motor, so i'm stealing it for the '60. I've thought about how cool it would be in there a few times since I picked it up. Especially since anybody that knows anything about cars always ask if it has a 348 in it. I can finally tell them that it does. Well, soon i'll be able to.

I took it out of the '29 today. Pulled everything apart and got the block and crank ready to go to the machine shop. Hopefully i'll have time after work tomorow to drop it off. Then I'll get the heads apart.

I'm excited! Haven't built an engine in a lot of years. And never one this cool!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Exactlly what that car needs..............!
    Good move.

3. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Have the block and heads checked thoroughly, the '58 348's had some issues.

That will be a great combo, 348 and a 4 speed!

Marty McF.

4. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, the 58 was a one year only deal. Newer heads won't work on a 58 block and vice versa.
    Larry T

5. RClark

RClark

Yeah, they're going to the machine shop tomorrow to be tanked and crack checked.

6. RClark

RClark

I know. It's a damn shame too. I had my eyes on a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads. I'm gonna spend half what new aluminum heads cost just to go through my old heads.

7. Is that a truck block ? Don't see the front motor mount holes that most chevy motors have. ?????????????

8. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Have the machine shop install hardened exhaust valve seats and perhaps try to get a better grade of exhaust valves, perhaps stainless (check with Egge). Definately use rings with moly for the top groove.

9. RClark

RClark

Nope. It's an early '58 block out of a full size car. 315 horsepower. Not the most sought after, but not the low compresion truck engine either.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

No, what it really needs, is to be at my house; I like those 59-60 Biscaynes. Nice car just the same, and it rightfully deserves a W-motor. Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Large_911

Large_911

Nice man! I recently scanned a few old and new articles on the 348 / 409 for a fella on another forum, and they are still on my desktop. Shot me a PM if you are interested. Good luck w/ her!

12. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

348's are the Coooooooolst.............................Rich

13. Was reading your thread and noticed you visited my page. Great idea to mate these two!!!! Long live the W head.

14. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

The 315 hp engine had all the hi-performance goodies from the factory like solid lifter cam and 11:1 pistons (some of which were prone to skirt cracks below the wristpin). I am not sure if it had the larger valves or not. As Chevy made improvemrnts to heads and cams the hp rating went to 335 in 1960 and 350 in 1961 before coming out with the 409 around Jan. Also, make sure the linkage opens the two end carbs all the way wide open.

15. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

Ahhh, Chevy's small big block. I'm a fan too. I'm in the process of building a 58 Impala coupe. The engine is done and ready...348 tri-power from late 58. Spend the extra bucks and go with a hydraulic roller cam...the engine shop was adamant about this upgrade.
    The 348 may not be the best performance mill around, but DAMN they look cool!

16. RClark

RClark

Actually I'm going back with a solid lifter cam.

Here it is all torn down. Going to the machine shop soon. If I can ever get off work early enough.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The best thing about Chevys from 1958-80s is that they will take any Chevy V8 from the 265-454 without much problem at all since all engines are the same dimensions from side motor mount pads to rear face of the block. No firewall problems except use of full size GM electronic ignition distributors, most front room problems can be solved by moving the radistor to the other side of the mount into the 6cyl position.

18. RClark

RClark

Here is a little more of the story. A few months ago I found a 327 for sale that I had wanted to buy for the '60. At the time I couldn't really afford it, but I kept it in the back on my mind. Just before I started this thread, I tried to get ahold of the guy to buy it. Tried for two weeks and nothing, so that's when I decided to pull the 348 meant for the '29 and build it for the '60. The day after I tore the 348 down, my dad called me and let me know that the guy with the 327 was back in town and still had the 327 for sale. I picked it up yesterday.

Plans can change in a hurry!

The 348 is at the shop and it looks like it will be going back in the Model A. Looks like I just motivated the hell out of myself without meaning to. When it's built I'll be that much further along with the '29.
    In the mean time, the 327 is ready to go. All I plan to do with it is maybe change the cam clean and detail and put my Offy three deuce set-up on it. I ran it on the stand before buying.
    Here it is when I got it and after pressure washing it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is an old Four speed that I had laying around.
    [​IMG]

19. RClark

RClark

It's amazing how much time passes in between my updates. I don't realize how long it takes me to do things until I look at the dates when I start threads. The 327 is finally back in the car. New cam and six months of procrastination later. Finally fired it up last night for the first time. Nothing like the sound of a quick revving small block through straight pipes! Gotta get the clutch adjusted and a few other little things then it's back on the road again.
    [​IMG]

20. biscaynes

biscaynes

nice belair, how'd you make out with the 348?

21. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

OK..This would look great sitting on top of that 348..
    Duane.

Attached Files:

22. You can make later heads work on an early block and vice-versa if you plug the coolant holes that are present on the later parts. This would require some minor machine work to drill the hole to size and tap for a plug.