Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Parts Store War Stories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled, Jun 9, 2009.

1. All,

A few months ago I started a part time job at an auto parts store and I thought you all may get a kick out of some of the stories. Here goes the first.

"BUT HE BUILDS RACE CARS"

This particular customer with a half-ton Chevy, 305 is working with another clerk that has little too no experiance as a mechanic. Somehow I end up involved and wind up in the parking lot. Right away I see a typical small block Chevy with a 14" Mr. Gasket air filter. The customer wants two PCVs to eliminate/reducve blow by.

I ask the standards; how many miles, stock, last thing done. I then start in on ring condition' combustion gas blow by' engine sludge and so on. This is when it gets good. He tells me not to worry about sludge he took care of that.

His buddy told him just pull the valve covers and pressure wash the engine and get real good down in the holes, but make sure you drain the water out.

In an effort to declutch from the situation I inform him if he's got a buddy helping him already let him continue to help. He will not go away so I let him know I think the pressure washing was a bad idea. He replied, "BUT HE BUILDS RACE CARS".

Tim

2. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I go into a parts chain store to buy a common radiator petcock. The computer puncher asks what the application is. I say it doesn't matter, I need one with 1/4" pipe thread. He says he has to have an application or the one he has might not fit. I asked if it has 1/4" pipe threads. He says it doesn't matter, it still might not fit. Then an older, wiser, obviously a car guy goes into the back and brings out a petcock with 1/4" pipe threads. I said that is what I need and the youngster still said it probably wouldn't fit without knowing the application. Why do parts stores hire these people when there are car people that need jobs too and would be more than happy to work in an auto related business.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hey what could go wrong...right?
    after all, he said he builds race cars..:rolleyes:

whats the dudes name?..i wanna be sure i dont buy anything "built" by this guy:eek:

4. rustrustler

rustrustler

Having worked at a salvage yard that used the hollander system in its computer I understand the clerks, problem. When you type in what you are looking for, the computer asks these type of questions and won't go any further until you answer them. When the I ask the customer what year and he replies it'll fit any 350 chev I can either press him for an exact year or take a guess myself. Do yourself and the clerk a favor and be as specific as possible it helps everyone. Thanks, Mike

5. Weasel

Weasel

An "Expert" is any guy who either knows just a little bit more than you do or think they can bullshit you into believing they do - on any given subject.:rolleyes:

6. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Try telling them you need some plain old heater hose. Whats it for? Engine? etc etc...

7. after about 40+ years as a customer of auto parts stores , i soon will be starting a part time job working at one...should be an interesting experience

8. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

X is a mathamatical substitution for an unknown.
    Spurt is a drip under pressure.
    Therefore....
    An X-spurt is an unknown drip under pressure.

Its better when you say it rather than read it...

I went into THREE different parts stores looking for plastigage.
    The looks of DUHHHHHH/confusion were laughable. You would have thought I had had asked for gaskets for an engine with three heads.

Finally at O'Reilies one of the older guys overheard and took the counter creep into the back and tutored/showed him where it was and talked him thru what it was.
    At least the kid WANTED to learn what it was for. That I can deal with.

9. FATT STRIPES

FATT STRIPES

b/c they won't pay enough for good help and when they do get good help they beat 'em to death w/ stupid rules and usually, the manager is one of the dumbest sob's in the store but he knows how to kiss ass and use a calculator

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

We could probably close this thread right here,you hit the nail on the head! After wasting a lot of years in aftermarket parts being a car guy with common sense and smarts never put any real money in my jeans.:(

11. A couple years ago I went into an one of the local parts stores looking for some chrome bumper bolts. I looked around for a while and couldnt find anything so I asked one the kids working there. I said, "Do you know where I can find some Chrome Bumper Bolts?" He looked at me like I had ten heads then took me over to an aisle with some licsence plate frames and and fancy plate bolts (dice etc...) I said, "No the actual bolts that hold the bumper on" He did not undertsand at all what I was asking for so I then asked him where the muffler oil was. He told me down aisle 15 with the other oils.

12. iMPAKS

iMPAKS
    from raleigh nc

Well when money was tight I decided that I would apply for a part time job at the local parts stores..

I walked in took there test and the manager behind the counter looks at me and asks if i have ever taken this before.. I say Nope.. He looks at me wierd and I am thinking do I have something on my face why are you staring at me..

He says.. well you need to take a 2nd test. so I sit down take the 2nd test( these are all tests on a computer - multiple choice) I finish and he says well we will have to get back to you..

So I ask him did I do somehting wrong? did I fail the test( I can not see results). He says Nope, you got a perfect 100 on both tests.. so I asked: well is that a problem? he says well you may be over qualified to work here.
    My jaw hit the floor and I asked him if he was serious.. he was..

So I left and never ended up getting a job there..

well a few years later a freind of mine got a job there and I told him my story. He told me that manager no longer works there and the reason I was not hired was because the manager was worried that if someone was hired with more knowledge then him he thought they may take his job..

I guess he was more worried about himself then helping the customers..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  13. Do you want low prices or knowledegable sales help ? Pick ONE.

14. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

Went in auto zone to get a front brake caliper. What size motor? I dont know I havent even opened the hood. Im working on the brakes. Well does it have left hand studs? Whats the gear ratio? I said thanks I will go ahead & drive 2 miles down the road where I can talk to a real person..

15. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

well, ive worked in the parts biz for most of the last 30 yrs. everywhere from dealerships to fleets to fastfood auto parts stores. the last one i worked at was one of the biggest chain stores. the "manager" was only 22..he really, really had a bad "tude toward me as i had been selling parts since before he was born. those stores really like to hire kids, that way they dont have to pay them much. they dont care anything about customer service. and after three yrs there as the commercial salesman, they forced me to quit and hired a 19 yr old girl to sell parts to repair shops. ah..nuttin like venting frustrations in da moring..

16. I have been laid off since July of 08, I also have gone to all the chain auto parts stores. I was told by all of them that because, I one, have a degree and two, lack of retail experience that I am over qualified and under-experienced....try and figure that one out............it is no wonder this world is in such a sad state, all the people who have a clue can't get anywhere, while all the stupid idiots run the world...........

17. On the other side of the coin, after dealing with the local idiots, I found store with the same corporate name in a small town 14 miles out of the way with an honest to goodness "old guy" running the store.

I walked in on a Saturday with my 52 pontiac wheel cylinders in hand, (I was told to ask for him by name) I explained the originals are 1/4" line, I'm running 3/16" line, I want to increase the bore on the rears 1/8" and the fronts 1/16" and they need to match the mounting bolt spacing.

He called me back the same afternoon, told me they are ready to be picked up, he found common late model GM parts and he gave me a small price break because I left him time to get it done in between other customers... out the door 4 cylinders $110

I guess I found my new parts source at least until he decides to retire.

s.

18. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Sounds like most businesses these days - A bean counter has the control.
    When the focus of the business becomes the income rather than service, this is what you get. The major chains are more concerned with being able to see at any moment what they have sold for the day then how many people they have helped or pissed off. Bottom line is customer service is going away and we as consumers have to put up with it or find another source.

19. dB Zac

dB Zac

Back when I 1st got out of high school, I worked for a Kragen. One day a 30 something woman came in and bought a case of oil. My buddy goes on his lunch break shortly after she leaves. When he got in his car he remembered he needed gas so he went to the gas station right down the street. When he pulls up to the pump he see that same woman, there are like 8 empty oil bottles on the ground next to her and she is still pouring oil in the motor. He couldn’t understand it so He approached the lady and asked her what she was doing.. "it must have been real low on oil" she says. He asks here if there was any oil on the dip stick when she checked it to which she replies "what’s a dip stick". He then asked her how she knew it was low, she than says "I couldn't see any oil when I pulled the cap off". hahahahaha. My buddy had her call a tow truck and the local quick lube drained it out. No harm no foul

20. dB Zac

dB Zac

I think it has more to do with the counter help then the brand of store. I had a Napa counter man tell me they don't sell cast iron water necks any more, needless to say, I have a cast iron water neck now

21. I understand what you're saying. but sometimes it's like - we (customers) often don't know what we want until we get there, if you know what I mean. Seems the owners and managers of parts stores would realize the limitations of that system and work to make changes so it would allow for "common sense" inquiries without specific "I have to know the model/make/engine before I can help you" BS. The parts store owners are there to make $$$, don't they realize the limits on that software system also affects their potential to make MORE $$$? Fortunately, a lot of stores have the grey-haired old sage that can assist customers from using their memory or experience. But how's a kid gonna learn the parts bizness when all they're taught to ask is "model, make and year"? I work with a system that actually allows a "characteristics" search mode in order to find stuff. Not perfect but it works pretty good. just 2cents

22. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Well- this thread is timely.

I'm off to the parts store w/ 2 wires bent. One for the upper radiator hose & one for the lower. These were installed by PO in 2003. Not leaking, just time to change. No numbers but I have my wires.

I won't even bother w/ Pep Boys or AZ- I'll try CarQuest 1st.

Wish me luck, hope I don't go postal when he/she asks what year.:rolleyes:;)

23. .
    I worked part time at a chain parts store.This is so true.The inefficient computer systems these places have will make every parts man look like a dummy because the parts are in bins with nothing but part numbers on them.If you haven't sold enough of that part to remember the part numbers then you have to ask the unrelated questions just so you can get close the the right part.You can't even cross reference a lot of them.There is no way to look up just specifications for a part to see what can be used.That is why its better to see the old gray haired clerk,he can remember the part numbers without having to look up useless information.These parts stores are made for the uninformed to come in and buy cheap Chinese junk for their Hondas.I never realized how dumb the general public is until I worked in a parts store.The good old days of knowledgeable stores is gone and won't return.

24. barney rubble

barney rubble

Yes I am one of those old grey haired old farts that has been working there way to long. 30 years last month. I can handle old & senile or young & just uneducated yet. But its the damn liars and pure just stupid I have a problem with. And yes the pay sucks but I like my job and I have raised my family and made a living at a job I like 95% of the time.

25. ruquik

ruquik

I don't know, maybe its because 4cyl cars get different brake systems then 6-banger, and v-8 cars got different.....

Example: Pretty sure you couldn't get 4 wheel disc brakes on a 250 6cyl Camaro.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just my $0.02

26. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Have you seen what those jobs pay? Unless you wanna live like a college student your whole life you gotta be the store manager. And to be a store manager requires a +60 hour commitment and you still aren't even in the upper half of the payscale for a retail store manager outside the auto parts industry.

How many motivated, intelligent car guys do you know that wanna work under those conditions? You either have no money for projects or no time.

27. Rust Monkey

Rust Monkey

Yes, the computers are the down fall. I worked at rural NAPA while in highschool and the only reason the computers were there was to run the reciepts. All the parts knowledge came out of cataloges or the owner's head. I specifically remember a farmer coming in with a busted tie-rod end off some tractor and the owner took one look and rattled of a part number too me that was an exact fit. You can't program that into a computer.

My worst experience to date was arguing with the counter girl in the tire department of $am's about whether or not my car even existed. She freely informed me that "...I didn't know what I had..." her computer did not list a 1964 Pontiac Tempest, "...So that couldn't possibly what kind of car I had, Pontiac only made Ventures and Grand Prix's that year..." and so with one fell swoop my 1964 Tempest ceased to exist thanks to the computer gods. So I got tires put on a 1964 "Venture" that still looks alot like a Tempest to me!

Man, maybe that Y2k thing wouldn't have been so bad after all.

28. ruquik

ruquik

Crapa is just as bad as the rest sometimes, or at least the one in my town is. They just charge you more.

The O'riely's and Napa from where i grew up at in FWB, Florida always hired kids that actually knew there stuff. Sure they used their employee discounts on EVERYTHING (so did their freinds, I was one) but the customers were happy.

29. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

the new fangeled parts stores train the employees to be dumb. i would count back change, the manager told me not to. company policy was to give back only what the computer said to. i was told many, many times, dont think, just follow policy. the bean counters actually have the managers calculating store costs by the penny and by the minute. i had to quit, i woulda stangled somebody eventually...

30. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

i did my time in a large canadian parts chain, and I found knowledge had nothing to do with age. I was one of the younger guys and knew more than all the grey haired fellows that worked there (and I still had lots to learn). It really came down to whether the guy is a car guy or not (a passion for the subject) and whether they are willing to learn or teach themselves something new. I was the only guy in the place that would use the paper catalogues, which were the best source for info. Most of the time if the computer didnt list a part a customer was looking they had it in the books, but nobody other than me used them so alot of customers got turned away with "we have no listing so we cant get it". Plus most of the paper catalogues had dimensions and technical drawings which were great when someone was looking for something of unknown origin.

On the topic of plastiguage, Ive seen the "wtf?" face far too many times.