Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rod Wreck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ajmopar, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Saw this in the Hamilton Spectator this morning, gave me a chill. I realize it is a fibreglass Street Rod, but still a lot too close to home. Seatbelts would have saved this guy from being thrown - food for thought.

[​IMG]

BURLINGTON – A 65-year-old Stoney Creek man was seriously injured Monday after being thrown from his custom, replica 1934 Ford when it rolled over on Highway 403 after clipping a guardrail.

Police said the car also struck two other vehicles in the eastbound lanes.

OPP said the 5:18 p.m. crash in the eastbound lanes near Waterdown Road backed up traffic for five hours. Eastbound 403 traffic was diverted off onto Waterdown Road to Plains Road and east to Brant Street.

OPP Const. Graham Williamson said the crash occurred as the black, fibreglass replica 1934 Ford 3-window was eastbound on Highway 403 approaching Waterdown road.

The car hit the right side guardrail at the Waterdown Road exit and flipped at least once.

It also collided with two other vehicles, one a small car driven by a 24-year-old Burlington woman and the other a small pickup truck operated by a 22-year-old Hamilton woman.

Both women escaped injury

Police said the man driving the custom car was thrown from the vehicle when it rolled over and appeared at first to have suffered life-threatening injuries. His injures were later determined to be serious but not life-threatening.

Any witnesses to this collision or to the vehicles involved prior to the collision are urged to contact the OPP Burlington detachment at 905-681-2511 or at 1-888-310-1122.

2. 100% Matt

100% Matt

One word "Seatbelts" Lets hope for a fast recovery for the owner.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  3. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

4. This is why I'm seriously thinking about running radials and changing all the wood out for steel on my model A truck. A roll bar and 3 point seat belts are in the works too. It kills the traditional theme but I have a 7 month old little boy I plan on coming home to every day. Besides, if you get killed you can't build any more cars....

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

any follow up on how the guy came out of this?
    and why this happened?

6. Just saw it this morning - I will try to find out some more info.

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes,how did it happen? Hoping the guy makes a full recovery. I think about this stuff,a highly modified old car,or in this case a replica old car.How does it handle in an emergency?It might feel great whipping around curves,but what happens during a sudden unplanned manuover? Does it get out of control real fast and the driver has no chance to correct it?

8. 8flat

8flat

If it was setup right, it would handle really well.

9. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

my wife and I ALWAYS wear seatbelts in all our vehicles. The 33 Chevy is not much more than a single layer of tin .

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

looks like..maybe he missed his exit and over corrected?

look at the dirt kicked up right at the "point" of the left edge of the exit ramp, behind the cop car.
    like he cliped the pointed end of the guard rail at the top apex of the exit ramp

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

For sure,but how do you know it's set up right unless you test the handling at the limit on a track or deserted road.I don't know if many guys actually do this and want to put themselves or the car at risk.
    I mean you're ripping down the road,someone gets in your way,you whip the wheel to avoid the problem,the ass end snaps around and you roll over.
    And being over 60 years old myself I wonder if my reactions are still sharp enough.You never know until it happens I suppose.

12. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

13. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Damn, that sucks. Heres to a full recovery. . .

14. chopdtop

chopdtop

Can't tell from the picture if the off-ramp has 1 or 2 lanes, but he was probably trying to make it onto the off-ramp when some clown talking or texting on a cell phone wouldn't let him in or cut in front of him.

15. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Its probably one of those Street Beast shit things. I hope hees alright!

16. that ramp is one lane, and yes it was probably somebody cutting him off or maybe he spilled his Coffee or something (seen it done).

17. If it is the car I think it is I have seen it around Stoney Creek and it is a "Street Beast"

18. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I drove by this last night while I was westbound on the 403. It looks like he clipped the guardrail and then flipped. I have a friend who knows the driver. He is a long time hot rodder who knows how to build and handle a hot rod. Except in this instance.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

can you get an up-date on how he's doing?

20. It only takes a split second . . .

21. A little bigger pic.
    [​IMG]

22. mj40's

mj40's

The real question is, was the driver set up right"! Capable of driving this car, alcohol involved, sleep at the wheel, cell phone or any number other issues. You know you have to be alert at all times when driving any car 360 degrees around you. Yes I do have a shoulder belt systems in all my cars and use them. Rods are not exempt to accidents.

23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Man, seeing that turns my stomach. Seriously people, being safe should be one of the top priorities in building a car. Seat belts being at the top of the list. There is no excuse to not have them. They're not an eyesore, and even nice ones are inexpensive. Instances such as this, and that poor girl that fell out of that 55 Buick from Massachusetts and died in what was a very unspectacular and minor accident should provide all the motivation needed to cough up $50 bucks and 30 minutes of time to possibly save your life or the life of another. That said, there are some instances where no amount of precautions will do you any good, and that's tragic. But there is no harm in trying to improve your chances. Thoughts and prayers this fellow rodder makes a full recovery

24. oldfardyfode

oldfardyfode

I just looked "belts" up...The source I had was $90 a seat...Even with a CEEDAN that is $360.00 which is less that the insurance "Upcharge" er I mean "UPGRADE" should U have a minor fender bender causing damage to another parties property....I'm 63 and think about safety a lot these days.....Prayers to a full recovery for the Gent in the 34.....Prayer is a powerful source and if we all say ONE for him The Lord is merciful and hears the prayers of his folk........................Cj.

25. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

looks like it held up pretty well minus no driver's door

26. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Man I really hate to see that, I pray for a full recovery for this fellow Hot Rodder.

27. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Thoroughly test drive your car, working up toward its limits for the street.
    Find some water to drive in.
    Learn to back off the brakes in a hurry when they lock.
    Don't over-react. Don't over-correct. It takes practice, so go do it.
    There are defensive high-performance street driving courses, about $600.

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That body held its shape pretty well, Street Beast or not, for having rolled and perhaps twice! It would be interesting to see some really detailed pictures of the car from every angle to see what shape it is really in after this crash.
    SEAT BELTS, SEAT BELTS, SEAT BELTS!
    It's also possible he didn't have door retainer pins in his suicide doors.

Always a tragedy when something like this happens but hopefully it teaches the rest of us a little something about being a little MORE watchful about traffic, installing and using seat belts, suicide door retainers, and other safety related items like front and rear turn signals, 3rd stop lights (Mopars from about 40-50 have the trunk mounted stoplights already, but it wouldn't hurt to have the taillamps on each side be stoplight too as well as turn signals), outside left AND right rearview mirrors.

29. Sad, both for the driver and for the car.
    Hoping recovery for both goes well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder if some locals could get the outtake photo's from the paper?

30. SteadyT

SteadyT

Aw man, that's awful. I would like to know the real status of the driver considering he was THROWN from the car. 'Serious Condition' can mean anything...