Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A modifications

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26trackt, Jun 8, 2009.

1. 26trackt

26trackt

I'm cosidering buying a restored/surviving Model A. My Dad is looking into a Coupe he knows. I'm thinking a (relitively) stock drivable A might be a good option for a rookie like myself. I could use the car as is & modify it on an ongoing basis.

I'm guessing a fairly solid Model A is OK for running around town & some carefull modifications will get it on the highway & look cool.

I'm thinking of stuff like updating it to '40 hydro brakes, '36 wheels & then moving on to a dropped axle & other weekendish mods. I could probably do any weekend's worth of work in a month or so.

Boxing the rails & swapping engines are probaly going to be more than I will ever want to do on this project. I am interested is possibly hopping up the original engine.

I'm not looking to break any new ground. I do need the practical experience & exploring some age old rot-rod tech should be a lot of fun.

Any comments, pitfalls, advice.....?

2. Elrod

Elrod

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. JimA did a couple articles in Rod & Customs a while back where he installed a dropped axle and hydraulic brakes on a stock `29 Ford Tudor. a bolt in master cylinder/mount/pedal was used from MT Products. if you could find the issues i'm sure it would be a big help to you.....covers it well with lot's of pictures

here is MT's website: http://www.mtcarproducts.com/

as for hopping up the original motor , that is something i can't help you with...but others on here can

4. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Cool project....

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

You can do better than this...MT products are not self adjusting.
    After brakes, get a high compression head.
    Its the BEST way to spend your money.
    Then put in a 84-87 F-150 fully synchronised overdrive transmission.

6. 26trackt

26trackt

Thanks guys! I hate to kill my own thread but my inspiration obviously lies in the threads you have provided. Elrod & Chris...I don't have the words. Wow!

7. You mentioned hopping up the stock engine. This is mine (It's a B engine) and Elrods car also has a hopped up A in it.

[​IMG]