Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Last nights Drag strip video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Glen, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Glen

Glen

I keep trying to get this car in the 10's. I have been working on getting the 396 to run over 6000 RPM's and I dont think it is going to happen with my hydraulic camshaft. I swapped valve springs and mounted a normal set of headers this week and got it down to 11.33.
    It hits a wall at 6000 RPMs so I shift at 6....but it also hits 6000 RPM at the 1000 ft. mark with the 4.86 gear. So its either change cams, gear, or tire size. Its still fun beating trailered race cars with a street car.

Here are two clips from last night.....And I got to meet the world famous "shakey puddin" driver Jim.

These two clips are the same pass one outside and one inside.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RoYSU_cGCLY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RoYSU_cGCLY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yGSmbiMrGSw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yGSmbiMrGSw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

If you have a fast connection and a good computer graphix card this is in HD.

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5041218&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5041218&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p>same pass inside the car 11.33 from Hot Rod Glen on Vimeo.</p>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. hotrodihc

hotrodihc
    from London Ont

3. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Seems like it hooks hard from the inside view. What kinda 60ft. times do you get?

Hard to tell from a video, but if it's not about to bog then a little taller slick may solve your problem.

4. rodrobb

rodrobb
    from Sweden

Racing your hot rod is to get the most of the hobby, cant wait to get my T-coup
    on the track. Coooool clips, thanks for sharing

5. i get all warm and tingly watching that.

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh Baby, that thing is cool...

Do you mean it won't rev past, 6K or it won't make power above 6K? What is your cam profile? Also, what is your 60' and 1/4 mph?

Bitchn car. -Abone.

7. Glen

Glen

Yes it hooks hard (thats why I let go of the shifter when I let go of the brake) and pulls the wheels off the ground, I run a 31" tire and A 33" tire would put me thru just under 6000 RPM at 120 MPh.

Yes, its like it hits a wall at 6000 RPM, it will not rev past 6. If you watch the in car video I hit 6000 RPM just before the 1000 ft. mark and it never climbs past.
    Its the Comp Cam 292H, 244 @ .050, with .550 lift. and the cam has been degree'd. Its something I have been chasing for a month or so.

I know a roller cam would help, I am going to pull a rocker off today and see how much valve to piston clearance I have left.

That was my best time a 11.335 and a 11.337 back to back with 1.52 as a best 60 ft.

8. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

9. smarg

smarg

10. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Very cool you don't see hot rods at the strip enough. I can't wait to fire my truck down the track. Oh yeah and might be time for that solid roller.
    Mat

11. BAD ASS Glen. keep dialing in the car and you will get the 10's no problem. Let me know the next time you guys go out there, I will come out and help any way I can.

12. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Do you have a racing buddy with some 33's you could borrow for a pass or two? Sure looks like you have alot of et left in that thing... it is wound tight at the finish line. I wouldn't be surprised to see it e.t. better with 4.11's in it. Awesome vids!

13. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

That was fun!

14. Everytime I see something like that I remember what one friend of mind told another 30 something years ago. The first friend owned a 69 Camaro dragcar (which was pretty fast) and the other had a '33 Ford 5 window at the time that he was working on. The Camaro friend couldn't understand why the '33 Ford friend would spend money hot rodding an ol' jalopy. The Camaro friend said that no matter how much money one spent souping up an old antique car, it would never be able to outrun a late model. I never really saw the logic in that. I'm supposing that you wouldn't either.

Great going!

15. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

That's one of the best In-Car Camera videos that I've even seen. Everything's is clear, wasn't shakey and a good run! Really felt like a passenger with you. Good job!

16. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Why don't you build a bigger (sic) motor. For the same price as that 396, you could build a 454. Or take a 454 block and put that crank in it (427). I'd put a roller in it if you were to change cams. Taller tire will cut the gear ratio a little, but you'll still hit that 6,000 RPM wall with the HYd. cam....

17. Glen

Glen

You are exactly right, for the same price I could have built a 496......but in Phoenix there is no way I would keep it cool on the street.....remember its (supposed to be) a street car :)

Right now its basically a small block that runs cool and holds over 4 gallons of coolant.

Thanks for the compliments....

There is one other item in question.....my "coach" is pointing to fuel pressure because I still run a mechanical fuel pump with no pressure gauge, so I will mount one and check it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  18. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I ran a 396 in my nova street car, and killed the motor at 6,000 (4:10 gear). went to the bigger hole (454) and never had any problems....always ran cool. Standard bore or .030 over shouldn't run that hot....

19. ian

ian

a w s o m e !!

20. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

the car does not sound like it is running out of fuel... sounds like it is running out of cam timing - duration.

With a real set of headers on the engine... was the carb jetted up?

I enjoyed the demonstration of dash switch operation with the foot

:D

21. Glen

Glen

Yes, the jetting is good. In regards to the switch....I had already put my harness on and I couldnt reach the tail light switch :)

22. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I've never understood that either. I mean if you can maker a camaro runs 10s then you can definately make a '33 Ford run 10's. The power to weight ratio alone is a lot better anyway.

23. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

I meet a guy at the track a few years ago who had the same problem with the RPM's . He traced the problem to the lifters in the block lifter holes, just thought I'd throw it out there.

24. oh hell yeah! great vids.

25. DrHerb

DrHerb
    from Atlanta

best video i have seen on this board was the "in-car" one! bad ass! any chance for a ride?

26. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Great In-Car! I actually started both videos together to watch them. No advice from me--sounds like some of the guys got great advice though. I just would like to hear the guy in the Mustang or whatever that was explain to his buds WHAT just smoked him! Neat car!

27. Glen

Glen

The in car video is one of those Flip HD cameras like Ryan used last week in his Model A. I didnt put the wide angle lens on though. It mounts to my roll bar behind the seat.

28. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

very cool!!!!! i think you need a roller cam.it sounds like it quits pulling after about half way. i bet you have the coolest car at the track

29. 94hoghead

94hoghead

What a awesome car!! I look forward to taking something to the drags someday....anything....

30. Cool video's.

For the in-car shots how did you have the camera tied down/mounted etc.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swap the gears.
    Cheaper I believe than either bigger slicks or another cam.

Metallurgically speaking, the engine may not be up to running 1000-1500 rpms more.

Back in the day there used to be a black 57 Chevy two door post running 5.13's at Santa Maria.
    Was fun to race him with my Rocket powered Shoebox coupe.

It was usually dead even until he nosed over at 1000' or so.
    My 4.27 gears would pull him a half to full length every time.

You may want some gears that are a little higher than the 396 needs in case you're upping the HP levels with a bigger engine later on.

4.33's right now and 4.11's down the line....