Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 chevy chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rexrogers, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Issue #43 , article " The art of the hot rod" , built by Donn Lowe.

Beautiful right?

Ian

2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Yep Ian, it is beautiful. Man how can I not agree about that one. You can easily see the look of the original Hard Top even though the rear glass has been changed. Ya got to love the Pontiac trim too. I obviously jumped the gun here. It was disturbing to think a Bel Air was being changed so drastically. Guess I'm partial. Time for me to stand down and let rexrogers do his thing.
    Dom

3. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Good man! LOL!! Hey Dom, this 51 is honestly my second favorite 49 52 custom chevy ever, right behind Jesus Valencia's 49 hardtop . Both very elegant and timeless!!

4. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I agree again! Jesus Valencias' 49 was another beautiful car. It's lines were perfect. The top flowed into the rear quarters like it was born that way. It's a shame he sold it. You know, you guys on the other coast have a touch when it comes to the customs. I am doing a 51 convertible right now. Believe it or not I have been looking to the winter, I must be nuts!, for some custom body mods to be done. It's been on my mind for a while. The trouble I have is finding a direction and going that way. There are so many outstanding kustoms out there. You want so much to use what they have used, yet you also want to be original. Drives a guy crazy!
    Dom

5. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

LOL! I cant wait to see you come up with! Your 52 is beautiful!! I LOVE CUSTOMS!! Later Dom!!

Ian

6. ALLEYKAT1951

ALLEYKAT1951
    from Arizona

7. JOEHOODS

JOEHOODS

Came out really good.....

8. BadLuck

BadLuck

Wow...I had decided I wasn't going to chop my hardtop.....then i see this! Great job...

9. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

As a big fan of chopped chevys!And the owner of a 50 hardtop! I must say SEDANS should be cut and the HARDTOPS should be left alone. The style of the hardtop cant be beat!!

10. rexrogers

rexrogers

The 51 that Don lowe built is a removable hardtop and it really is a well built car. the ART OF THE HOT ROD book has some good photos of the car. If mermory serves mee i belive that it is a 3" chop? I am still working on my roof section choosing a rear window is the next move before finishing the top.

Rex

11. BadLuck

BadLuck

uh oh... got so excited seeing the first pics, i posted before seeing the pics of the 3 piece rear window gone...NOOOOOO!:eek:...dont get me wrong, the chop is still done very well, but losing the rear window just made it lose its "Hardtop-ness":(

12. gasser eric

gasser eric
    from Lewisville

That sure is slick!

13. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

kind of reminds me of what they did on the vasquez convertible...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  14. rexrogers

rexrogers

It has been a while since i have worked on this car and thopught i should post an update the rear window take it or leave it the whole reason for the smaller back window is to allow the roof to be removable but not so small that you can't see out of you have to drive them.
    The rear glass is from a 41-48 ford and same with the tail lights the minus the roof work the car will be a fairly mild custom leaving alone alot of what Gm had intended just refine the points that are thier and not take away the cars origional heritage.

Rex Rogers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. skyrodder

skyrodder

It's comin out real nice. I like it!

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

[​IMG]

Is the whole glass opening home made??Sure looks like it in this pic!

17. rexrogers

rexrogers

The rear panel was beaded with the pulmax machine. a lot less time than it would have been to use a orgional Ford panel.

Rex

18. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

looks familiar? haha

19. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

20. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

what/how are you using to latch the top down bothe front and rear??? any detail shots ?? everything looks great!!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very cool. I like the Ford window

what is that grey machine along the left hand side of the picture showing the shape of the rear window before you cut it out??

22. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

when I grow up I want a pulmax.

23. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

Really dig it. Been wanting to do a hard top conv. on a 50 something chevy truck. The lines are just right on this car.

24. rexrogers

rexrogers

The front uses the 51 chevy convetiable header and latch. at the c pillars thier are two over center latches, and the very rear has two more latches from a 32 deck lid latch. I will take and post a pictures of the today.

Yesterday I made the rest of the inner structer for the rear wind checked the glass fit. and finished bracing the quater panels and cleanning the top edge up.

The machine in the back ground is a Rotex punch the max capacity is 16 gauge steel and will punch 1/8" to 2" holes a real time saver in the shop.

25. rexrogers

rexrogers

Made some head way on the 51, the rain gutters are back on and the top latch is complete need to finish the side glass

Rex

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

i think the whole shootin match looks great. super cool. cant wait to see everything finished up
    regards

27. WOW!!! looks killer, I will be watching this one....

28. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

29. you executed that perfectly. So elegant.