Register now to get rid of these ads!

Was white big in the 60's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66Newport, Jun 4, 2009.

1. I am trying to decide on a color and I was thinking about white covered in abalone flake. But, was white very popular back then? You really don't see many old photos of white customs. :confused:
    I was thinking of the white/flake and candy gold.

2. krooser

krooser

My buddy had a white '55 Ford mild custom... that's the only white car I remember. But white, as a factory color, was always popular in the south and southwest for obvious reasons.

White WAS popular as an engine and chassis color on customs in the 60's.

3. flathead4d

flathead4d

I had a new white 60 Chevy. Seems like white was kind of popular back then. Also white covers up a lot of body work flaws.

4. SYCO620

SYCO620
    from Merced, Ca

If I remember correct, wasnt everyone 'down on whitey' in the 60s?

5. Most of the white cars I remember in pictures in the old magazines all suffered from the usual problem of a white car - it looks like a great big blank canvas - so they got panel painted, lace painted, fogged candy accents, and a lot of them were pearl white to start with.

6. mikes51

mikes51

Here is what I remember.

It would have to be the early '60's we are talking about. I don't recall alot of white cars either. I recall rich, medium to dark colors, very deep candy apple paint. The 50 coats of hand rubbed lacquer, that sort of thing.

Then late '60's well, the customs died and competition gassers and choppers ruled the streets.

7. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

my 54 F100 was a pearl white mild mild custom Missouri farmboy special from the 60s when I got it

8. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

I'm thinking they were more for factory Ford products and were a popular trim color.

9. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

Yeah- early 60's

10. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

" Was White Big in the 60's " Not in Watts

11. Pearl White yes

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This car came to mind when I first read through this... :cool:

[​IMG]

...and I believe this is Buzzard's car

[​IMG]

Malcolm

13. Went to work at GM in 64. All the cars on the line were white. I asked why all the white cars? They were building out for model change. White cars can be sold to someone wanting a red one. But red could not be sold to someone wanting another color. $0.02

14. Thanks everyone! Obviously mine being a '66 and a four door wouldn't really have been the choice for the customer treatment anyway. I am just trying to get a good idea and some options. I was originally thinking of shooting the vehicle all candy brandy wine with a silver flaked and laced roof. Now I am thinking something a little more "tame" like white covered in abalone flake and candy pagan/spanish gold accents. I love this place, thanks again everyone.

15. That is FREAKING hillarious!!:D

16. damn! Double damn!

17. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Mid 60's GM white, (Buick Riv) was popular with the Ice Box White guys. Hot Rods.