Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pedal Car Stroller suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowchevypickup, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowchevypickup

lowchevypickup
    from central IL

well my son was born 2 weeks ago and is still in the hospital. but know worries hes getting much better, and should be home soon. now on to my project, ive just recently started my pedal car stroller project, and im lookin for some suggestions. im trying to decide what to do on the interior. im painting the car w/ a ton of red metalflake, and pearl white scallops. and it will probaly have some silver and black striping. its going to sit as low as i possibly can make it. i was thinking of red metal flake vinyl. but i want to be comfortable for him, and plus i dont want to have to peel him off of it in the summer time. any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. brandon

brandon

what ever you do ....remember to add a caster wheel setup on the front makes them steer a lot easier:D post up pics when ya get started......brandon:D

3. lowchevypickup

lowchevypickup
    from central IL

actually im goin to try to build a linkage set-up to have the front wheels steer, but be controlled from the handle in the rear. dont know how well this is going to work but its worth a shot.

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

There was a really cool one at GG Indy and I think the Pile Up too last year I'll see If I can find a picture of it

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That didnt take long

[​IMG]

6. Went sorta traditional look with the one for my son. I took the flat bench seat out of it and hand formed a more contoured one from sheet metal. I actually used his little 4 month old diapered butt to contour the metal. After trimming it to fit in the car, I covered it in 1 inch foam and them used a leather looking vinyl with three horizontal splits. Used short weave green carpet on plywood in the bottom to help insulate from the pavement. I also built the dropped front axle with a steering system that I control from the t-handle I push him with. It works great and the steering always wow's admirers. Used 1930 Pontiac cowl lights (they weren't cheap) for the headlights and a minature Pontiac radiator cap cause his dad's into early Pontiacs. Can't see in the pics but I also hand formed an early 30's sytle potter's trunk on the back with a lid that opens for storing things like his bottle, shoes, etc. Made that lid with rounded corners which was a bitch to form but worth it for the final look. Made trunk strap-trim using length's of stainless strips that wrap from the bottom all the way over the lid. Oh yea, tilt windshield and front bumper were also modeled after dad's 1930 Pontiac phaeton. Misted alittle rust colored primer across the top of the panels to give it some patina. He was 1 in the last pic. He's 3 now and about to out grow it and this will probably be our last car show season in it for that reason. But, we've had more fun and gotten more attention with this thing than any of my real cars. He's even been snapped in a couple mag random shots. He's always insisted on loadin' it up before every car show. Gonna miss not pushin him around in it after this year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  7. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Here are some of my sons wagon

8. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

My dad went a little crazy building one for me about 18 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy

9. chopz56

chopz56

Have been wanting to do this for a long time!!

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I hope everything is going good with your son. My son was born 6:30am christmas eve,and was home at 2pm christmas day. I thought that was stressful, I cant imagine what your going through.

Im glad to see that im the only one trying to do this! I was either gonna go with a hot rodded out radio flyer or hot rod an old pedal car, whichever i got my hands on first. I found this old AMF at a swap meet for $30, then on the way out i found some NOS wheel covers for $15 and a bell for $3. So now were building a low buck hot rod. I would like to set this up as a stroller but havent really figured out the steering yet. I really dont want to go to far from stock, that way he could use it later on.

My thoughts so far are to make a floor and a seat back inside the pedal car out of plywood and have it covered in a nice white and red tuck & roll(or roll & pleat), some sort of seatbelt/harness, make a windshield out of plexi similar to the old auburns , zoomies or fenderwell headers,some pinstriping, possibly lower the rear, custom shifter sticking way up, make the handle for the stroller out of stainless rod, then incorperate some kind of retractable soft top for it for sunny days.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. My boy's car.

[​IMG]

12. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Thread over- you win! That's seriously cool there.

13. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Here is my daughters stroller. 36 Ford, one off aluminum wheels, one off steering wheel, head lights, tail lights, stereo, fan, removeable push bar, custom interior. She is now 7 and it is bolted to the wall in the garage, I could never part with it. I had as much fun with that as I have ever had in one of my cars.

Attached Files:

14. btoovey76

btoovey76
    from NE

Great ideas, my daughter was born four weeks ago so i'll be building a little chick rod. Love the "Temper Tantrum", wish I was smaller!

15. lowchevypickup

lowchevypickup
    from central IL

thanks guys for your concern. and lots of nice cars on here as well. im currently stripping the paint and then ill get some pics. Hey rarerodder how did you hook up your steering? i think i might of figured out a way to do it, but im not sure i mocked it up in posterboard and it seemed to work okay. Dragnut i must say i love your gasser styled one, ive also seen the other one you built in an older thread. great work fellas and thanks for the help. and good luck hillybilly4008 lots of work left, but it will be worth it in the end

16. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Anybody modified the Speedway kits?
    I've been thinking about doing one for my nephew.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks Jeff

17. Chop1UP

Chop1UP

One that I done.
    The body was stretched 3 inches so I could get the go cart wheels under the back and still have room for my son to sit in the stroller. Used ½ tubing to build the frame.

Attached Files:

18. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

If you want to pay shipping I'll stripe the booger buggy as a gift? Just a thought?

19. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

You guys are some cool dads thats for sure. Nice post lets see more.

20. Phil1934

Phil1934

Think outside the box. From the 'net.

Attached Files:

21. When they get too old for a stroller you can find one of these...

[​IMG]

and make one of these...

[​IMG]

22. This one steers with the front wheels. No linkage to the handle required. Put caster in the front axle. Push the handle to the left and the wheels turn right. Like a walk behind lawn mower.

Attached Files:

23. daddio211

daddio211

Seriously cool stuff posted here! Hey hiboy, what did you use for a front leaf spring on this car? I've been looking for one and haven't yet been able to find anything I love.

Those of you who made your own dropped axle... how did you do it? I have mine planned in my head but would love to learn other options.

Here's what I bought years ago to build a pedal car for my kids but they grew up too fast! Now I'm making it into a barstool racer.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354318

24. It wasn't easy but I made that spring out of hack-saw blades. #50 master links for shackles. The axle is 1/2" bar stock. Just heat and bend.

Attached Files:

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Lots of bitchin stuff in this thread!

Hey Tracy, did you ad flex agent to the paint for the plastic? I've got 3 of those '36s, and I'm itchin' to build one for my 7month old.

26. daddio211

daddio211

Very, very cool! Thanks dude!

27. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Here's the one I built for my daughter. She just turned 6 but I agree, I had just as much, if not more fun with this than anything else. I won't sell her's either. I built a trailer for her to tow behind her powerwheels Mustang to haul the 37 around:rolleyes: She still likes playing with it:D

Started out as the same 36' Ford body that 29 sedanman has. I modified it into a 37. Has full tube chassis with air ride front & back, steerable wheels and removable handle. Not shown is the one off 1/2 wrap steering wheel and the aluminum V windshield. The grille & headlights are airbrushed now also... Paint is Viper Yellow with butterscotch pearl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

29. hammered

hammered
    from Texas

Here's the one I built for my daughter back in 2000. Tube chassis, pro-street and airride. She was the hit at the shows. I had about 200 hours in it.

Attached Files:

30. hammered

hammered
    from Texas

Oh and heres a shot of a model at a photo shoot.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.