Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A Tearfull Goodbuy to Runaround Sue's 55 Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercDeuceMan, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcoffey

rcoffey

part it out on egay

2. That sucks ass! I know how she feels too!, a so called friend screwed me out of $3200 for a 64 Catalina 2+2, bought and never got the title, car disappeared, so called friend wont answer the door.......atleast you got your $$$$ back.......I agree with whats been said, charge him for towing and storage at the state legal rate, make him come to you for it, some states, after a certain amount of time, will allow you to advertise that its been abandoned and then if unclaimed, will allow you to apply for a duplicate title so that you can "sell" it....

or,

you could just tell the guy to come and get it, and search for another one, never know what you'll find....things happen for a reason...........

3. AmandaSue

AmandaSue
    from Indy

I can't say anything nice right now...so I'm just gonna say that I'm thinkin about you, Mama Sue. :(

4. AmandaSue

AmandaSue
    from Indy

MercDeuceMan: after living with you for 2 decades, I have to say that this seems right up your alley... :D Sorry...couldn't resist...

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If he only has the title but its not in his name yet,the seller can still decide who it goes to,He may have to make another title by just saying he lost the old one,etc.etc...........just be careful about who your friends are and what there real intensions are,
    I lost a longtime good friend when he saw dollar sighns.

6. Weasel

Weasel

If you lose a 'good friend' because of dollar signs that's no friend - just an opportunist asshole.

Maybe a call to an attorney is in order to establish the legalities of the situation - could save you a lot of heartache?

7. I Drag

I Drag

MDM, you sound like a reasonable person. The attorney had the right to sell it to whomever.

Guys, I know it's fun to think about all these do-this, or do-that's, but a person cannot dismantle, wreck, sell, obtain a fraudulent title for, swap parts of, or otherwise do anything to harm or alter a car that is not theirs. In fact, you must take reasonable steps to protect it.

Sorry, it's the law, and it's how grownups act.

8. red3

red3

And its easy,

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yeah, I believe there are good people who sometimes unfortunatly graduate into the Latter as life goes on:(

10. Well he bought a car but it says nothing about everything else bolted to it! only thing he has is a title with the car vin on it, nothing about anything else. i would make his life hell i would not care how much money he has, make him prove the parts it had on it! then buy another 55, and to make it look better buy it from a friend, can't say you built it with the parts!!

11. This sounds like a plan to me!

12. Ebert

Ebert

Interesting...I wish you and your wife the best, MercDeuceMan. Having read the various posts, I find myself conflicted. Everyday, I would like to believe that my wife and I are teaching our sons to always "take the high road" and do the right thing. Been doing that for 20+ years.

However, in my old age, I find myself siding on the "screw the bastards" side of things after frankly, getting tired of trying to do others right and often getting the door slammed on my feet. I am a "believer," but I am really tired of shitheads and their ways. I think, at times, you just need to stand up and say "to hell with it, I am going to do the right thing and take care of things MY way!" This may be one of those times in my book.....#$%* this guy!

13. Abomb

Abomb

I don't know you or Sue, but from your posts I've read you seem like good sensible people, and I feel for you. While most of the suggestions may make a person feel good for a little bit, and maybe release a little tension and anger, there's no use to take it out on a perfectly good car that did nothing to anyone.

Just give the asshole his car, (make him do the transporting however, and try to get compensated for your time and trouble) and then let him and everyone near him know what a lowdown, backstabbing, schemeing piece of shit he is, and do it every time you cross paths.

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

To bad someone stole the car from your garage...

Looks like he dosen't get the car either... too bad... :D

15. S.F.

S.F.

buy a title and switch the vin numbers. He wont be able to prove a thing.:)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  16. charge him for storing his new car for him for the last week.

17. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

OK, there are certain legal elements of a purchase and sale:
    1. Money changes hands
    2. Possession changes hands.
    3. the intent of the parties is to make the exchange.
    4. In some states, title and registration card must also change hands.

Without ALL of these, no legal "sale" has taken place.
    YMMV in your state as the fine points are different from state to state.

You are at risk however, for "conversion", the unwarranted possession of someone else's property, such as applying a lien to which you are not entitled. This is a civil matter in some states, but can have triple damages attach.
    In some states this is actually a crime!
    The jerk may be setting you up for conversion.

Sooooo, get your lawyer to be very specfic on each of the above points, and get it in writing to protect yourselves.
    And don't ask for your money back yet. Have your lawyer look at the alleged power of attorney, it may be faulty or expired.

Good luck, and be careful.

18. George G

George G

Yes! An excellent post.

19. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

I think I would start here ^^^^^^. Pursue the legality of the "buyers" possession of title and ability to purchase the vehicle first, then if that fails find out what legal ways you can fuck the rich prick over with storage fees etc.

Marty McF.

20. bbtrux

bbtrux

i hate to say it,but he got there first.someone let you take HIS car home.from what i gather,he's not an asshole,he may actually be and may have issues,but thats immaterial.HE bought the car.you gave someone money,and thats not the same.i understand the heartache,but thats not a reason to hate someone who paid for something.you cant fault him for noy building it ,cause you didnt either.he may actually be a complete ass,but in this situation,i dont see what hes done wrong,other than being apprehensive about coming to your place to pick up a car he bought from someone else (who actually OWNED it,by the way).i would be maybe even more pissed than you in this situation,but this jaggoff hasnt done you wrong.the builder got you into his mess.pure and simple,no matter how good a friend he is.treat the new owner like anyone else who just spent a shit ton of money on a car.if you beat someone else to a deal,you wouldnt just hand it over because they thought they wanted it more.

21. buzzbomb

buzzbomb
    from ohio

Whats even better is a few live clams shoved deep under the carpet. When they finally pop open and rot you will NEVER get the smell out of the car. A few down the cowl works wonders also or a few thrown over the outside of the rear wheelwell from inside the trunk so it settles in the front of the quarter panel!

22. jimib

jimib

The legal owner of the car must have not communicated with the builder that it was already sold. Poor communication from the legal owner with the builder is the problem. If the buyer gets the title from the bank with legal means he's entitled to the car. The Karma here is not good. But legal is legal. Another simular build can be done if the builder is willing and the lady can get her dream car.

23. THAT SUCKS serious big time...:(
    We all love Susie to death, she's such a sweetheart to have some dogbreath do her wrong like that...
    I hope it works out....

24. I agree it is hard but it is the only really honorable thing to do. Besides Karma will bite you hard if you dont do the right thing.

25. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  26. Thanks for all the positives here.
    For those who question who had the right to sell the car on behalf of the seller. legally there were two. There are so many legalities to this even the lawyers can't agree right now.
    The seller gave POA to his banker on behalf of all the toys he had possession of titles in exchange for colatteral on a high end real estate developement loan.
    The seller also gave consignment rights for the builder to act as his agent to sell the car. (The builder owns an RV dealership here in town) The whole thing is a deal that has just gone very wrong.
    Doing anything to the car will only cost more money than it's worth in the long run. Kind of like short term gratification in exchange for some very long term and expensive consequences.

Building another car of that quality is out of the question. This one was bought for under .50 on the dollar. It's all new and I know the car, plus we have an El Camino project to keep on track and don't need to be trying to do two projects at once.

My son, Dustin (VonDust) did talk to him for about 40 minutes last night. He told Dustin that he doesn't like the way the car sits, he's not sure how the car will drive with bias plys, and he is not mechanically inclined. Sounds like the ideal person who needs to own a straight axle gasser. ( My mind keeps going WTF!!!)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Does Bubba know you're on the HAMB right now??? :D

28. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Very bizarre. Take it back to the builder and be done. No win sitution. If the new owner was to report it stolen all hell would break lose and it sounds like you may be on the losing end.

29. mow too much

mow too much

Lots of advice out there...............but I think you know what you have to do. But you and your wife will be able to look in the mirror and know who the BETTER people are and in the end thats all that matters, hope your wife finds another car that makes her even happier. Bruce

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I would not want this guy to come to my place to pick up anything..
    keep him out of your shop..or garage ..or home.

take it back to the builder , and be done with it..get your check back..and dont hold on to the car for one more day..better yet..have the builder come and get it..dont touch it no more

who knows what this douchebag will try to pull..the next thing you know the boys in blue will be showing up saying they are to confiscate a stolen car and arrest you..(not that its stolen..but like i said you cant trust the dip shit to play fair..hes proven that already)
    Or the guy will show up with the Law..and you dont need that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.