Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Shipping cost form USA to Australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Croney, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Croney

Croney

Hey

Just wondering if anyone here has shipped a V8 engine from the States to Aust? Just trying to get a idea of the cost involved. Cool engines seem ALOT thicker on the ground in the US.... I'm interested in a Caddy Flathead V8:D for my '35 Pontiac. Would it be worth it? If anyone has sent or recieve an engine internationally just please reply to this post.

Thankyou.

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im not sure how much it would cost, contact Junk Yard Classics or the Leahy's they import. Or better still talk to Rat Bastard (Frank) I think he recently imported some gear......... I think it was Frank? He could point you in the right direction anyway.
    Best bet is to find for or five good motors and sell the others here to cover costs, I know its a bigger outlay buy less in the long run.
    Cheers,
    Doc.

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or you could PM Stovebolt............. Im too slow these days.

5. Weasel

Weasel

I just shipped a Maserati 4 cam V8 (about the size of an early Chrysler hemi but lighter at 600 lbs) to Christchurch, NZ from California - US $1047 shipping + $296 to custom crate it.

6. Most guys find a container that they can buy into for the ride from here to you.
    you can put alot of stuff in one of those 40's.

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I have a few shipping companies in my neighborhood that put rodders parts together in one container. Has to be a much better deal than $1,300. I would be glad to help coordinate some shipping arrangements for NZ and Aussie rodders. Let me know if you need help. Thanks Jim

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is good to know Jim, I've used that system in the past, but lost the name of the outfit. You guys in Australia and New Zealand must really love this hobby, I always feel bad shipping stuff to you, but have no control on the shipping cost.

9. I've asked Ray at Junkyard (when he was still there) and he told me $300. I know a guy had a hemi shipped for $200. No tax on old parts.

These prices are in containers with other stuff. There are lots of people shipping container loads of misc. parts etc, you just get loaded in with all the rest. Basically all you need to do is get get whatever it is to the shipper's yard. John Cain will do this, Junkyard, Leahy's and so on. Maybe crated, maybe not, depending... ask the shipper.

p.s.. Have you done an intro yet? And a question like yours underlines the reason why it is wise to put your location a bit more specifically than just Australia.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  10. Hi Mate,

I've done it a couple times and if you know who to use in the states to ship internally it makes alot of difference. PM if you need some help.

JT American Imports

Factory 2/9 Brand drive Thomastown
    Melbourne Victoria 3074
    Ph.03 9466 4817
    Fax.03 94664088

11. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

If you go the way of a container and need help filling it, let me know. Me and Im sure others will want to bring stuff over, might help with shipping costs.

12. Psychobilly boy, you have used these guys? Are they really good to deal with? I am currently looking for a shipper.

13. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

I think Peter Leahy charges around $400-500/cubic metre.

14. Where abouts in Australia are you?

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

The guy I use charges 440/cm from the left coast and 550/cm from the right. he's in Melbourne.

16. Hey Mate,

I've used them a bunch of times - had a complete motor in a crate broought over plus oddball crap like cranks etc etc. They are good and very cheap.

Danny

17. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I shipped a 700 lb crate full of 428 CJ from Vancouver to Sydney for under $200 through a local freight broker. Really pays to shop around.

18. Croney

Croney

Shit!

I didn't expect so many replies... Thanks for the info, I expected it to be more expensive but apparently seems more affordable than I thought. Might actually be do-able. Looks like it's less of a pipe dream to get that caddy flathead then I first hoped.:D.

19. lakesmod

lakesmod

2 years ago I shipped a 454/T-400 to Adelaide Australia.Cost was $750 U.S.

20. Chargerdan

Chargerdan

hey guys some great info,im attempting atm to bring a chrysler small block v8 to australia from indiana....does anyone know of a company in that area that would be good to contact,any info would be great,cheers!...
    CHARGERDAN
    [O][][][][]I[][][][][O]

21. Chargerdan

Chargerdan

hey guys some great info,im attempting atm to bring a chrysler small block v8 to australia from indiana....does anyone know of a company in that area that would be good to contact,any info would be great,cheers!...
    CHARGERDAN
    [O][][][][]I[][][][][O] :)

22. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Call Engine Shippers in AZ at 1-800-998-2100 ext 106.They do it all the time and are trustworthy.

23. Willy301

Willy301

Chargerdan, Indiana is too far from any body of water to have a shipper close by, unless they also truck to the coast first. This will likely impact the cost a great deal. Good luck on getting it to you though.

24. Chargerdan

Chargerdan

thanks for the info desert deuce,ill look them up cheers!

25. Chargerdan

Chargerdan

i believe thats why im having so much trouble with it all...im hoping to get it here for as cheap as possible,its a bit of a worry trust me guys,thanks for the luck,im gunna need it!;}

26. D Staig

D Staig

To get an engine to Melbourne from Longbeach area you shouldn't have to pay more than about $250 plus your gst. Thats on a pallet.

There's a company in the states called Engine Shipping Direct that will move an engine from ANYWHERE to Longbeach for about $250 again. I paid that to get a Hemi on a pallet from Alabama. Or you can list your item on uship.com and people will bid to transport it for you.

I've used a few shippers in Melbourne, the best ones are the ones that can let you know when your item has arrived at their yard over there...some won't check that...and then it can get frustrating. If you want some names let me know.

27. D Staig

D Staig

Yeah these guys are good and well priced. I've used them a number of times.

28. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I,m in L.A. and build motors for Hot Rods and classics. I export about 200 crated motors a year. About 30 go to Australia each year. If you need a motor built PM me.

29. morac41

morac41

Hi Croney..Have you tried to contact the Australian Cadillac car club...there is bound to be someone here with a motors and gearboxs...there are a few pre 49 Caddys coming in to the country and are bound to be re powered with later engine...do an add in the classifies on The HAMB......Doug