Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any other Austin A40 owners on here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PA Gas, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Great starting material, PA Gas. My all-time favoritate is the famous C&O Hydro A/GS Austin built by Ted Brown Chassis in the 60s.
    [​IMG]

2. Years ago I went to check on them (after pretty much having forgotten I even had em) I opened the door on the "good" one and it just fell right off the hinges.

I suppose you can restore pretty much anything...Ive seen some crazy things done up here on the HAMB, but with the amount of work they would need you could probably buy a restored one all ready to drive.

3. guffey

guffey

un
    [​IMG]der restoration

4. Is that the "football"?????^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. guffey

guffey

I bought it from Tom Wilford about 3 years ago the other side

[​IMG]

6. willys426

willys426
    from earth

Well Dave, look no further! You can buy this bad boy right here! It is all apart right now, but it is this car. Original 60's AA/GS, chopped top, Chuck Finders chassis, all the hard parts are there. It's been in a few hardbound books. Ran 160 MPH on the first pass with Chuck driving. Best part for you is Reading is close. PM me if you were serious about buying one.

Ken

Attached Files:

7. agasaustin

agasaustin
    from Ohio

Here's mine, hope to have it out next year.[​IMG]

8. gotra66

gotra66

I have a 1951 A40 Devon. Putting a 3.8 BOP V6 with aod in it. Want to make a family cruiser out of it. My wife hates the car, but once it is done, she'll come around. Need to get the frame fixed up on it.

9. Verminator

Verminator

A buddy of mine has one --a wagon.We were going to cut it down to a pickup, but it's on the back burner. Good builder / gasser material. $900 PM for more info.

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So that IS the Football? You are now my hero! I love that car, its pretty much the reason I'm building mine.
    1948 A40 Devon, 401 Nailhead.

Doc.

PS, Please post as many pictures of this as possible I want to build a good accurate model of this car.

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aww, didnt realise how old this thread was......

12. simon g-s

simon g-s

Heres some crappy pics of my pickup. Tore up the rear wing axle and exahst when it lost a wheel when being flat towed. Havent done much to it for over a year I was so pi55ed.
    Any how, got a jag irs, a willys front axle, pontiac 400" and a 40 ft of 3X2" tube. It just has to be done.

13. Austincarnut

Austincarnut

I currently have 4 A40s

48 2dr alcohol race car
    48 2 dr original car ( for Sale)
    48 Pro street project
    48 4 dr gasser ( this is my avatar)

14. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Dont got one but LOVE EM

15. I have a 49 devon 4dr ex gasser from west tx that I'll get to someday,maybe. Found it in Hobbs New Mexico. Its just the body and 2x3 frame and steel frontend.

16. stevie.t

stevie.t
    from uk

here's mine had it about 27 years, it has a 400ci sbc, 9'' ford rear and a home built chassis, hope the pics come out :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  17. My brother Dave has a 1950 A 40. many years ago I did him a MG based rebuild for it. I believe he even found a pair of twin carbs. Saw it cruising a couple of years ago. He has had it since the 70s.
    Don

18. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Here is mine, not exacly HAMB friendly but I like it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  19. mrgrim

mrgrim
    BANNED
    from Auburn, WA

20. That,s a real beauty Ed, Even kept the sliding sunroof.

21. fearless_fred

fearless_fred
    from ocala,Fl.

I have a 48,That i am working on,and have been looking for a fiberglass front end for it. can`t seem to find a metal one that isn`t all rotted out. If anyone has a glass front end for sale please let me know. Thanks Fred.

22. Mine ended up in Ohio!!! Orig. brought to NC from Detroit area, built, driven alot, traded to a guy in Tenn. He rebuilt it , sold it to a guy in Bristol, then he sold it to fellow hamber falconwagon62 in Ohio!!!

Attached Files:

23. the shrekster

the shrekster
    from england

hi im from england, yes have a austin pickup, look on my profile.

24. the shrekster

the shrekster
    from england

hopfully this is it

25. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

I have a 1951 A-40 sport that I did some swap/trading on a 57 handyman about 3 years ago.Turned out that the old owner that was playing with it died and his widow sold it to someone that my friend got it from.From the looks of the work done on the chassis the car would have killed him.He swapped in a Cleveland C-6 combo that was also sinfull.Any way I followed up on info from the previous owner and contacted the widow and found out she had all the bright work for the car and I ended up buying that from her.It would be a fun car to do as it is an Aluminum body car and I have a 93 Mustang parts car that could be used for the drivetrain.Bad thing is that it has to wait for the other 20 projects ahead of it.Anyone have a callender stretcher I could borrow?

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

This is my neighbor's '48 Austin A40, with 350/TH350. He's not quite done, as it needs the interior copleted, but getting very close!
    I really like the A40's, but found my '46 A8 Saloon while looking and decided it was way too solid to pass on.

A40 '48
    [​IMG]

My A8 '46 Saloon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

[​IMG]

how about a A35 work in progress?

28. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

just saw A35/A40's racing on speed channel (GOODWOOD meet) they look great as a drag car or a sport racer. RD

29. Austincarnut

Austincarnut

I have 4 Austins right now ....ranging from an original 48 Dorset to a Alcohol injected BBC Austin race car that was on Pinks......and I want more

30. Austincarnut

Austincarnut