Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project "AREA 51" 51 Mercury update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, May 11, 2008.

1. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Nice to see you back on it! If only for a day or two.

2. mr.smith

mr.smith

GT40 5.0L powerplant?
    where did you come across that, is it original?

3. Um no, not original or are you joking.

'54 bezels look great.

4. mr.smith

mr.smith

lmao wtf do you think!!!

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

You're a FNG, and we've seen worse. Lol. :D

6. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

You guys looking to cover up your fuel injection, look into aftermarket marine performance suppliers. Us boaters are anal about our engine compartments and 5.0 and 5.8 FI fords were used for quite a few years by Volvo and they make some pretty cool covers that bolt on and come with quick releases.

Jon

7. I plan on doing something with a Cadillac aircleaner to cover the injection stuff. Thats a little down the road. Not too worried about it as I plan on leaving the hood buttoned up.

8. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Ether, can you get me a measurement of your front wheel opening width, at the bottom of the fender, and maybe at the mid point, from front of the opening to the back? I'm planning on something for my fenders and want to know how big your opening is compared to stock (for tires sizes), if you have the time...

Thanks-

9. Mercman, Ill get ya the measurement. I did take an inch out of the Ford flares, its not much but it did make a difference. Hold tight and ill go out and check.

10. The measurement at the bottom is 29.5", 25.5" at the midpoint. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can help in anyway. ETHER

11. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Thank you sir! I'll have to go out and have a look-see tonight at what I have. If you know of anyone that has another set of those Ford fenders, let me know. They have the look I want, but I am 'improvising' now.

12. Got some time to do a little work on the Merc. Ive been working on some loose ends on the front sheetmetal. Mostly trying to figure out the radiator support, radiator, and condenser. Kinda got a morf of such but it works. A little too good actually, escpecially if I didnt use a front steer clip. This little combo would work great in an original or rear steer setup. The radiator is a Summit Racing brand and the condenser is a custom unit from an auto air supply house. I had to weld the angles on the radiator for the support and for the condensor. The in (bottom) tube had to be cut in 3 pieces and rewelded to give me the right angle. I also had to 45 the drivers side bottom for a little clearence of the steering box. The fill cap was removed and welded up and a remote filler tube has to be incorpoated for hood clearence.
    The rest is just some finishing touches like the filler between the Desoto grill and the radiator and capping off the trimmed airbox tubes and making the bottom removable. Any questions??
    Stay Tooned for more.
    ETHER

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  13. Now for a little work on the hood and some fit and finish work. Hopefully driveable soon to work out the bugs before body and paint.

14. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Wow, it looks eerily similar to what I had to do, except you were able to keep more of your airtubes/stock core support mount location, and the work looks much better! I'm loving it~ :D

The radiator you found fits perfect!

15. The radiator core support actually moved forward about 5 inches. Tricky but it works.

16. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Ha, I see that now. Same thing I had to do. Did you have to notch your splash pan?

Attached Files:

17. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Looking good....!!!

18. CRAP, not more merc project pics!!!!! Yep, here are a few more. Sorry if you are bored with them, let me know.

I did a little hood and bumper work this past weekend. Getting really close. Just a few more loose ends and the frontend is ready for blast and prime. Trying to get the lower radiator hose worked out and need some stainless tubing to make a hard line, needs a couple 90 degree bends.

ETHER

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  19. vertible59

vertible59

"Purty is as purty does" my grandma used to say. Most of the time she was right...if I'd just listened!:D

20. Oh and a little spirits late in the shop Fri. night, trim here, cut there, drill, and weld. Heres a hubcap treatment Im toying with...??????

Attached Files:

21. Looking very good!

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Chad, You are the "M&M".....Merc and More. Thanks for always updating us and motivating. Excellent work. Beautiful.

23. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Looking great! I like the hubcaps.

24. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

I'm diggin it man. The caps look great. I can't wait to see it finished.

25. I had a set of those caps. Couldn't get them to fit on any of my wheels! Had to sell them...

26. BOB, That is the downfall of the hubcap. Only fits a special rim,,,,,,Unless!!!!!??????

I figured out a little trick. I can get a set of these for the price of one 57 caddi cap.

27. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

cool caps Ether!! i have 3 sets of those just waiting for me to do some rims for them. im kinda fond of the 62 hubcaps too and you have to dick with the rims to get them to fit.. i just put some 59's on mine about 10 minutes ago.... i was bored:rolleyes:

28. [​IMG]

AWESOME!!!

get this one....Gt40 tublular[​IMG]

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fender wells look good and love your cap idea. Very Kool!!

30. Looks awesome. Love the front fender lip treatment.