Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. striper

striper

Great stuff Dan. Hoping to fire mine up this week. Scares the shit out of me!

Yours sounds just as nice as I would expect from a guy who dots all the 'i's and crosses the 't's.

Pete

2. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks guys, I am definitely relieved to get it started finally! I am glad to see a couple others are going to fire theirs up soon too, we need some video though:D:D

I need to figure out today how to get some steering & a seat on the thing, I wanna drive it. Who needs brakes??

3. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well, for comparison sake, here is a video of it with the slip-in baffles. Sounds nice and quiet, much more like my grandma's car................:p

It is actually hard to tell from to video, but it actually is a little quieter with the baffles, honest!!

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

5. Skirv

Skirv

I feel your pain with the gas thing man. That engine sounds really good Dan.

6. striper

striper

Yep. That's just how I remember your grans car last time she took me for a ride!

7. Damn!! Sounds like a WW2 fighter plane.
    Music.

8. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well at least it's not my daily driver...thanks man, I really appreciate

Dammit man, grandma always was fast:D

Thanks seesko, I keep hearing it in my head!

9. Mmm, that's nice.

10. Mudville

Mudville

11. mosimpson

mosimpson

Congrats Dan, that thing sounds great! Everytime you make a post you exceed my expectations. What are the specs on that cam? That idle cries out Hot Rod.

12. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

13. tmacracin

tmacracin

If you could send me or post the measurements that would be great

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Huuuuuuge. Huge. Huuge... OH! Sorry...

HA!!! :D:D:D

It sounds GREAT!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!! :cool::cool: The sound of success for SURE!!! You must be crappin' golden bricks being this close to the end! Stoked for ya' Dan!!

15. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks Mo, I appreciate! Though I don't have the exact cam specs handy, it is in the neighborhood of 490'ish lift, & 280 duration. I am definitely happy with the idle-I was worried that my car would sound tame compared to my bro's cammed up sbf:p

btw, how's the sedan coming along?

tma, here's a crude sketck with measurements, hope this helps. If anything isn't realclear let me know, & I'll try harder to complicate a simple question, graphic design is obviously not my strong point haha:D:D:D
    [​IMG]

You know, I actually did crap a golden brick. It was HUUUUUGE. It was honestly a little painful too:eek:

Thanks man, I am thrilled to finally get it running for sure

16. tmacracin

tmacracin

dodgerodder,
    Your sketch works for me.Thank you. How long is the top bend that matches the curve of the bed? Also are they 16 gauge material?

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BWAHAHA!! Not sure if eating more "roughage" would really help for this condition/reaction situation either... :rolleyes:

18. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Hey man, I am sorry that I didn't see this & reply earlier! I will get that measurement in a couple days & post it up. They are 16 gauge, heavy little suckers!

Dan

19. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well, thinks have been a little slow as far as progress lately, but I did get some things done. In the past couple weeks me & my dad have been cleaning up the shop-it got to be a freaking disaster!! Couldn't find any tools, if you took 1 step in any direction you'd trip over something, etc. It made it no fun to work, so we spent some time reorganizing & cleaning & things are good again!

I got a few things done too. I made a bracket to mount my fuel pump & regulator, and also mounted the gas tank. I just have to get the bracket powder coated & it'll be done. Not overly exciting, but here's a pic of that:

[​IMG]

Then I finally got my lower windshield mounts fit & mounted to the body, so I could finally mount the windshield frame & fit the top bows.

Once I fit the top bows, I hated the shape of the side window opening. Hard to explain, cuz I didn't take pictures of it the way that it was, but the side opening tapered lots lower as it got towards the back of the door, & looked horrible. I redid it to make it parallel with the door top, & it looks way better I think. I also played lots with the bow positions til I got it where I like it, then I ran some tape to get an idea of the shape. I think it will work fine.

I then put the body & bed on the frame to get a look. I like it! Now I can finish up a few details that have to be done with the body on the frame, then I can get the body off for paint. That is after I decide on a color-I change my mind about every day:eek:

Heres a few pics as it sits-time for bed!

Thanks for looking
    Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. striper

striper

How's it perform in the wind tunnel, Dan?

It is definitely a thing of beauty

Pete

21. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

HAHAHA...Why would that not surprise me!

It's coming along great, Dan...looks awesome!!!!!!:cool:

22. Looks great! Keep the updates coming.

23. I am verrry much loving your roadster pick me up truck.
    Love the lines of the top. Fits the long and low feel.
    I may have missed it in the thread but is it going to be a fold down top?

24. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Are top bows from Brookville? Or originals?

I know you've modified them, just wondered about the starting point cause I want (or, my wife wants), a top on our RPU too.

25. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I never get tired of looking at that thing.
    coming along nicely, great job you guys have done!!

26. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks for all the nice words guys, I really appreciate that

Well, the car performed well, but it did mess up my perfect hair.........:D

Thanks man, I appreciate! The top on mine won't fold down. I had to alter it to make it look better (to me), so it will not fold now. In all honesty, I'd probably never fold it down anyways

FTF, the bows are Kwik-tops, I got them from Speedway. They worked out fine in the end, I am happy with them. The top will be nice I think, it's so freaking hot here it will keep me from getting totally baked. That, & it will again help keep my perfect hair from getting messed up:p

Thanks a ton! I am glad to see it start to resemble a car. I really appreciate your input on the powder coat issues I had, it really helped me out

27. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well, I don't know if this helps much, but here's what I did with my bows. This pic shows the area that didn't work for me. the bow with the red arrow gave the side window a funny shape, as it made the opening taper way down as it went towards the back:
    [​IMG]

This shows a crude idea of how I changed it to give keep the side window opening parallel with the top of the door, which I liked better:

[​IMG]
    In all honesty, if I had to do it again I'd probably make my own. But, I already owed it, so I had to make it work out. Lesson learned....:p
    Dan

28. hemifarris

hemifarris

29. llonning

llonning

Looking good!! I can just imagine what it is going to look like finished!!