Register now to get rid of these ads!

How about a HAMB helper network?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, May 16, 2009.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Haven't seen anything like this on here yet, and seeing the help threads for broken down rodders it might just be a nice feature to help.
    A few of the other boards I'm on have them and are super helpful.

A members only (log in to see) page with persons willing to help out and their locations.
    My other board has it broken by state, and then towns alphabetically.
    Has the person's name, city and phone #. They then fill in what kind of help they have available (trailer, full shop, welder, couch, beer, moral support) and such.
    This way when someone is stranded they have a network of people they can try to contact for a hand.

Any ideas?

2. silent rick

silent rick

one already exists. contact denise to sign up.

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Where does one find it to sign up on or to read it?

4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It either never happened or its some kinda secret click thing. She never responded to my PM about it, years ago when it was first brought up.
    Kinda interesting, I see she’s down on the side of the road quite often.

Good luck with that.

Last edited: May 16, 2009

5. RoadkillCustoms

RoadkillCustoms
    from Mesa, AZ

This could be good stuff...Where is Denise? Who is Denise? The NSRA Fellow Page Members have bailed me out more than once on shakedown rides and long runs to the west coast. This kind of thing is what keeps hot rodders taking road trips, so if there is a list, I'll add myself to it. Who is Denise and why is the list so hard to find? I searched and could not find anything. This is the kinda stuff I get behind. Keep On Truckin' GearHead57...

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well when you put as many miles on a car as she does and you have to admit she isn't prissy about the way she drives it things will need attention once in a while.

From my own experience I can say that things like that coil that has worked great every day for the past six months on the fifteen mile run to work and back and the occasional local rod trot will crap out on the side of the road the first time you take the rig 150 miles away from the house.
    I think that in most areas we already have a pretty good system going. Break down away from home, make a call to a HAMBer who can access a computer to post about the breakdown and usually someone can help or come up with a solution. Even if all that is involved is getting parts to them or running out and picking them up and taking them to a parts house or tire store that can be a life saver.
    Most of us in different parts of the country know what towing outfits to call and who not to call for getting one of our style of cars hauled in. That alone can be a life saver if there isn't someone available within a decent distance who has a trailer.

7. Brandi

Brandi

:rolleyes:

There have been a few threads on this, but I don't think there is a updated list as of late.

8. Denise and Big Olds are at The Jalopy Showdown in Pa right now. Send her a PM next week sometime.:)

9. Muttley

Muttley

Really? You have been on the HAMB for nearly a year.

10. who's denise?? wow!!

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I got a copy of the first and second ones. I guess it's time again.

12. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I too I/M'd Denise with no reply.
    The old N$RA Fellow Pages worked really well.I still have an old copy...

13. There is one out there already, that's how Denise got ahold of me a couple days ago. I then scanned my cel phone to see which one of my friends lived closest....that's how Executioner came into play. She called me at 11:15 pm and he was talking to her at 11:45 and on his way with tools.

From what I remember only people that put out their info got a copy of it back. This way not every Tom/Dick or lurker could use it in a way other than the way it was intended to be used. It is probably outdated in some ways but when I had a phone # and address change I just sent her my updated info. That was about 3 years ago.

Bottom line....There is a list and it may need to be updated and maybe even put in it's own section so any member that logs on can get to it....but I think that is up to the mods. I know the last thing I need is someone hacking JJ and spamming my phone at 2am or worse yet some form of ID theft.

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

hacking and spamming,, exactly why it needs to be on a page you MUST be a member and sign in on to find it. I've had my info on a couple of other boards for some time and never had a spam call, but helped a couple of guys out. Sometimes with parts, sometimes just with a couch to crash on. Made some great friends with it too.

15. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I sent my info a long time ago, and never herd anything back. I think Denise is too busy for this, So if you guys want a hamb helper page your going to have to find someone to do it.
    I have been here for 4 years and haven't seen the new list yet.

16. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

alright then lets do it. it's a complete volunteer thing so thoose that don't want their info out there then don't. i have no fear of all the bad stuff of being "public" i have taken many steps to controll it. but here goes. i will make list by area and such. here is my email. make the head line hamb help. then send me your info. screen name, reall name, area where you live,work, your mailing address, and what you are willing to offer other hamb'rs. i will make a list and mail them out. either a hard copy or my email. the more info you but in the better the list will be. as with anything so will abuse this but that will soon be obvious and turn into the boy who cryed wolf. so that issue works itself out most times. so here we go lets see how it goes i will wait a month or so to give every one a chance to send their info. so spead the word! and vote for it BTTT
    [email protected]

Jared Phillips
    281-658-7364
    greater gulf coast area of Texas
    7302 wedgewood dr.
    magnolia,TX. 77354

tools,welding,beer,roadside help,and my help includes the help of most all the HFD. over 4,000 members strong. when any one of us has a problem or peolpe we vouch for have a problem, we all do. if it has a engine and wheels,tracks or a combination of i'm into it. boats too.

17. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

18. smokindave

smokindave

Get a bike and go on the Jockey Journal..you might get a better response there.;)

19. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

ok... not sure what that's about. i just read this post and it sounded like a good thing that used to be. and had fallen by the way side, for whatever reasons. so i was just tring to help by offering to take the job of compiling the info. maybe i missed something???

20. rougebeats

rougebeats

If people get serious about this, I dont mind lending a helping hand,emergency garage use,welder,and tools. I agree it should be on a "members only" basis though. I dont want charliemanson666 showin up at my house at 3 am.

21. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Totally agree it should be on a members only basis. like to throw my 2 cents in the pot. Helped a couple of folks thru NSRA Fellow Pages way back when, (not a current member). I'm available and willing, where do I send the vitals?

22. It is nice of you to offer, but you are indeed missing something. Like it or not (I am fine with it) there is a defacto hierarchy here, and you are stepping on the toes of someone who has earned a great deal of respect here. I would rather give that person a chance to sort this out than to see the torch passed to someone else without the current Hamb Helper database keeper's knowledge and consent.

23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

true dat adjustable johnsons

IIRC I tried to join a few years ago and never heard anything back from Denise, but I'd love to be part of it.

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope you don't mind but I ordered 11 tons of elephant manure, I don't have anywhere to keep it right now so I gave them your info. They
    will be there at 0430hrs sunday morning.
    I wouldn't park in the drive way............

Doc:p:D

Oh, yeah. Its only 1100 bucks, you can cover it for me untill I pick it up?

25. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

this is a great idea as i love to help out where i can, i will call ya in the am to give my info

26. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I think it would be best to wait until Denise gets a chance to respond to this. I have a copy of issue #2 that I keep above the sun visor in the Merc. Used it a couple of weeks ago to contact Denise when the Jay Leno cruise was held here in Ohio. Her original was done in a spreadsheet I believe and must be at least 6-7 pages long in landscape format and sorted by state. Included screen name, real name, state and contact info.

27. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

I know Im in to add my name and info to the list- Ill help anyone if I can if they are down- its just what you SHOULD do as a fellow hot rodder/car guy/ jackass whatever.

28. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I'd definatly be in on helping out a fellow rodder in teh new hampshire/VT area. tools, parts or just a place to crash and have a meal.

29. Why don't you guys wait til Denise checks in and find out what the atatus is before you get your panties in a wad. No use starting something that is already in place.
    Anyone who has called for help from this forum has got it as soon as it was known they needed help.
    In this age of cell phones, GPS, and the internet we have it covered.
    We really don't need the printed list, because it is constantly in need of updating.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

30. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

How long should we all wait? The internet is almost immediate.
    In fairness to all involved;I I/M'd over 5 months ago...12/15/09 @12:15PM.I introduced myself,asked pertinet questions and offered assistance in creating a listing.
    The Jalopy Showdown is over,said parties are home by now and 5 months later they should've read their I/M's... I'd think.

Yep,you betcha there's a defacto hierarchy here.Posting numbers,a few road trips and some pics add to that cred.
    Actions drive it home and park it.

Best wishes to all involved.