Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New Mercury skirt idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, May 22, 2009.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Ok I'm bored. Half of my friends went west to Santa Maria and the others went
    to Springfield, Mo. To pass the time away, last night I worked on my skirt idea.
    Originally I was going to mold the '53 Ford stainless to my bubble skirts and paint
    it black to make it look like a quarter panel. While I was working on the concept
    I'm second guessing my decision. Do you think that it will look out of place if the
    only side chrome that I'll have on the Merc? Also I plan on adding a lip to the bottom
    of my bubble skirts. Kinda like the lip of the '51 Merc.

While I was searching the web, I found a picture of Sombreros. I'm going to have to
    buy me a set.....

Happy Trails,

Mick

2. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

I like it, I think it breaks up all that black nicely.

3. I say go with it, looks good.

4. The large vertical piece of chrome breaks up the flow. Try to find something slimmer and shorter, it's got the right forward angle, though. Also, quit jackin with the angle of the fins. Try to lean them more forward to match the b-pillar and it might look better.

5. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Looks great Mick! looks like it belongs there!

6. studeboy

studeboy

That looks really nice. Seems like a tall task to build a Merc that has some originality. You sir have hit a homerun with the skirts and sombreros.

7. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

That looks reallly nice. Great idea!

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I like it, pretty refreshing to see new ideas for a Merc that actually look good

9. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Really nice

10. ditto on the looks like it belongs there!

11. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

I really like that a lot. Keep the chrome.

12. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

It needs some other peice of bright work somewhere on the side of the car so the skirt isn't the only chrome.

13. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

P.s. I really like that under the window kind of belt molding. I like that alot.

14. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

I like it looks damn fine!!

15. mikes51

mikes51

So you can't find someone to make you those sombrero's in 17" ? :D

The stainless trim looks good on there. Yea, custom made 17" sombrero's with radial ribs that match the ribs on the skirt trim piece.

16. 29 de soto

29 de soto

i'm diggin it like that!

17. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

That look is different, but not really. Anyone old enough to vote knows what a '52-'54 Ford looks like. To ad the Ford "vibe", would besmirch the Merc name and lines. Perhaps if you could add some trim pieces that run horizontal through the trim, and break up the Ford look, that would work?

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

18. haulAss or GTFO

haulAss or GTFO

19. Looks cool. Would look even cooler if the 'skirt' was straight across and no longer that indent around the tire... and if you removed the lip too... back of car would look floating like merc charlie's ride.

20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL!!!! I appreicate your help Mike..... I'm still working on th 17" wheel
    thing. The idea is not dead but it is resting for a while. A friend of mine
    found some '57 Lincoln caps for me at a garage sale. ($20). Going to play
    with them this weekend have some kool ideas running through my head.

Thanks guys for all of the feedback. Won't start working on them until this
    Winter, I'm too buzy driving it right now...

Happy Trails,

Mick

21. I dig it! I think that looks pretty cool but I may be a bit biased being in bubble skirt mode myself right now. ;) I kinda like JK's idea, too about leaning the end of the quarter forward a bit to match the line on the lower 1/4, skirt and post, but I know you just finished a big round of significant body work. I noticed you pulled your front end back a smidge, too. Is that a thought for the future?

22. I like it....alot. Whats the highlight along the beltline? Is that paint or stainless? Like that too.

23. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Nice taillight treatment! :D

24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hated to use JK idea so I was waiting on some body else to suggest it.
    Kool dea Dave!! LOL!! Ha, ha, ha,...Love ya Jason..

The front end will get sucked back a little bit. maybe not as much as shown but you will
    be able to see the difference. Hey Dave we will see ya in Eureka next month....

The belt line where the stainless used to be is a gold scallop out lined in white. Ron Myers
    slung some paint kinda like a Tommy the Greek style. We are going to do maybe one more
    once my skirts get done.

I saw a '50s Caddy in American Rodder years ago that I just fell in love with. I've not
    seen another picture of it since then. Its a shame because it was very tasteful Kustom.
    I thought if it looked good on his Caddy It would have to on a Merc.

Looks kool on your sled!!

Do you know whick one that I was talking about?

Happy Trails,

Mick

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  25. vertible59

vertible59

I like what he's done there, as I'm really into cruiser skirts. Are you talking about the three "teeth" like on a '54 Merc? If so, that would look good too, in mho.:)

26. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was trying to do somehting the same but different. Mercs look real kool with
    the '54 teeth. I was using the stock '53 Ford stainless that have the teeth molded
    into the stainless.

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

When I first looked at it my eyes were pulled directly to the chrome strip on the leading edge of the bubble skirt. It says "Look at me!." I didn't notice the rest of the car. How would it look if that chrome strip was made a continuous part of the bubble skirt and painted the same color as the car and a long thin piece of body side moulding going from the front of the front fender to the end of the lower rear quarter was added. That chrome strip would be about the same width as the beautiful trim around the windows and compliment it in such as way so at to make it all "match" and go with the flow of the lines of the car. It's got to be soft, simple and delicate like your window trim. Perhaps 52-53 Packard side trim starting from the front fender. or maybe having a thin strip of side chrome that starts on the front fender and follows the contour and flow of the major sheet metal body line along the door and the rear fender lower quarter panel.It's one of those cases where you'll know it's right when you see it.The flare on the skirt is perfect.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  28. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

Looks great! I wish that gold scallop was a piece of stainless. That would be ingenius. And would also compliment the skirt stainless.

29. wouldn't change a thing

30. spinner

spinner

mick I like it !! A fresh idea with a good traditional flow . I do think you will lose that with the the blackwall & 17in idea . You have waited a long time to get that style of merc & I think you should keep improving with ideas like the latest. But it is your car & your ideas . good luck