Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinion wanted: Engine color?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Probesport, May 20, 2009.

1. Yes I actually do want an opinion, no matter how bad it may be :)

I think my engine could use a little color, it will largely remain teh same save for a multi carb setup in teh future - however I think its a little too black and was thinking about a color change. I have some red pinstriping on the car and was thinking a dark red may be a good choice to change things up a bit.

what are your thoughts? Any other color choices?

[​IMG]

The headlight buckets are black now and the chrome alter & pulleys are now a satin chrome.

[​IMG]

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

Red might be nice to coordinate with the pinstriping and distributor cap. Although something loud like an industrial yellow might look great against the black and chrome. Think Caterpillar yellow.
    Personally, I think it looks tits as is. All business, no frills.

3. George

George

Looks fine to me also!:)

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

A little bit of color really help in an engine bay if you don't have the means to polish everything. Here is my roadster's engine before I bought it and after I sprayed a little gold on it.

Before.

[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

On yours I'd like to see something other then red (which would mean painting that dizzy cover). What about a Rootbeer flaked paint on the valleys of those valve covers or the whole engine block if you can. Something shiny and that has a lot of pop to it I would think.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wait what about a copper color? Copper always looks nice with black. That's my final answer. COPPPER!!!

6. I was thinking copper too. a Gun metal gray might look good too.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

copper / gold would give it an old timey look.

8. I was thinking a real deep maroon red, the accents jeffreyJames posted look great and maybe I will try some of that as well, bucket is black but no reason I can't do some red on the valve covers. (BTW I love your engine, whole car actually - I am sure I've said that before somewhere ;))

Never thought about gold, that may be interesting as well.

Rootbeer would be anotehr thought as well - the disty cap can definitely change not a big deal there - it wasn't done because I liked the color :)

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks man, I just got word that my Lug Nuts arrived at my house this after noon so it'll finally be back up and running tonight. Look out for the update!!!

I like the idea of red or maroon but only if it's accenting a glossy black body instead of a flat black one. I like flat black a great deal and I know there are people that are hating it because of it's common use now a days but it's still fucking cool. That why I was sort of thinking a different color something along the metallic lines. Gold, Copper, Flaked Silver, etc.

For me your T is just screaming to get the body sprayed in a shiny coat of white pearl or something along those lines. At that point your options for painting your engine become endless!! I would focusing on that next and just drive as it until you are certain that you are going to keep that color. If black is be all end all revert back to what I was saying earlier or just put some polished goodies on that engine and dress it up a bit. Over all though your T is awesome.

10. uglydog56

uglydog56

Personally, I wouln't change a thing. The industrial look is bitchin. But if you were determined, go with the copper/gold crowd. That was the first thing I thought of when I looked at your pix.

11. uponone

uponone

dont change a thing.....some times standing out isnt the best thing

12. 94 GMC

94 GMC

Mabye red valve covers??

13. It's not flat flat, its a satin black - the goal was something closer to a real model T black enamel but I get your drift..

The main reason didnt run out and do red is that it is so commonplace. But it will be staying black because I was able to have any color I wanted - as long as it was black ;)

Thanks for the compliments, and you definitely give me more to think about.

I hear that too. I am a big fan of the mechanical look, I do that for alot of my toys I just really dig the rawness of machinery.

I may split the difference and add some dark/cast iron grey to break it up but keep the industrial look.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  14. how a bout the purple the body was when ya got the car?

but seiously gold

15. That just makes me shiver... Whats worse, is the hot pink I found on the manifold when I stripped it.

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I actually love it black but with those supremes I think it's very flashy...but in a good way. I always look at cars from the hey day and see what I can use from them. Grabowski's lightning bug might be a car to take a look at some of the engine details. Some times it's just a good cleaning and polishing that is needed and the splash of color can go elsewhere like the interior or striping.

Black and Rootbeer might be a cool combo. Aslo what about adding in a Champion White (off white cream) for some parts and also throwing in a bit of the root beer. Polish the valve covers and paint the engine root beer candy flaked. Add some subtle off white pin-striping and paint the air cleaner Root Beer too.

Really I am just throwing out options. The car looks great and I am sure it will look awesome what ever you decide to do.

17. HOT PINK!! :eek: Ouch!
    A dark metallic red might look good. Something semi gloss or satin. Like an anodized maroon.

18. uglydog56

uglydog56

root beer with champion white makes me go want to make a root beer float. I vote for that, I'm hungry.

19. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Leave it black.

20. I love Hemi orange myself!!!

21. My opinion? Chevy engine orange is always correct (on a SBC). Particularly good against a black firewall.

Attached Files:

22. rottenrod

rottenrod

i think dark red would look good and thats a beautiful T

23. 50dodgeboy

50dodgeboy
    from California

a dark like metallic red might look good.

24. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

25. Candy-apple green over a silver base.

26. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I like blue

Attached Files:

27. Side

Side
    from Berlin, OK

A lot else came to mind when I picture this engine. I think black is fine. It makes the car look lower and doesn't take away from the rest. A few things that I feel I would change would be the copper lines. Swap those to Russell ProClassic lines. Swap the cap from red to black and add a chrome vacuum advance cover. Loose all hose clamps in favor of safety wire tightened by a ClampTite tool. Relocate the alternator down under if possible. Add three more beads to the air cleaner to even it out. And then paint the valve covers a satin black and polish the fins to make the engine seem smaller.
    This is just my honest first impression if it were mine.
    Love the car and please don't take me wrong.

28. Sidedump is absolutely right.
    I just went back and looked at your pic,,,Sidedump knows what he is talking about,,,obviously he is into hot rods.
    I would do exactly what he said.

Tommy

29. I decided that it needed more black, not less black :)

I did a few details, added a couple small pieces including a belt shroud from a 70's Volvo.

I do dig some of sidedumps idea's, especially the clamps. I will keep that in mind..

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  30. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Food for thought:

1. Lose the red distributor cap.

2. Wipe down the body with a 50:50 mix of kerosene and water.

The car will take on a patina'd look you won't believe. After a week or two the satin finish will return to its normal appearance.

Note: this is NOT a joke. Back in the day, the NYPD would wipe down the mayor's and PC's limos with this mixture. It makes it look like you spent all day Simonizing, beads water, retards rust and brings a faded finish back to life. The kero probably also nourished those old enamel paint jobs.

You can try this easlily enough, adn it is reversible. IMHO, your car looks fine and these little details might change it enough for you to be happier with it.