Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Orleans hot rodding scene?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vik morgan, May 18, 2009.

1. Mopar34

Mopar34

New Orleans may have the highest murder rate for small metropolitan areas, but you can bet your ass that being in certain parts of Baltimore City (Md) or Washington DC will get you dead just as fast as being in New Orleans. All depends on where the fool in you strays to.

I live in PA, but work in Baltimore. They don't call the Baltimore/D.C. area the "killing fields" for nothing.:eek:

Like any other city in this fine nation of ours, you just got to know where you can go and where you shouldn't. A simple rule if you want to live.

I enjoyed my stays in Naw'lins. Always stayed in the Quarter and refrained from going places where I was not wanted. Of course that was before the Katrina hit. I understand that some of the eateries that I really enjoyed may not be there anymore due to the high water.:( Sure hope they come back.

2. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

UGH!!!!! It's not "Naw'lins"! That's has got to be the worst tourist gimick, yet! And to Hollywood: we don't have those dumb accents from Gone With The Wind, Benjimin Buttons or Justin Wilson's cooking show! :p

Ok, rant over. I'll shut up, now. :)

3. hepcat_13

hepcat_13

The murder rate isn't a issue unless your doing something you shouldn't be most of the time. At least once a year someone will get killed and they will make a big deal out of it, but it's like what are they doing in that area. Theres a few areas of this city tourists have no reason to be in like any other city. An trust me you can tell your in a bad area down here.
    You got to be alert here, but I hake it a habit to be on my toes most of the time anyway.

4. The roads SUCK. A hot rod or a custom wouldn't last long down there.

5. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

I understand what you mean Rocket. Im from the Westbank (Marrero)....ok now that you have thrown up in your mouth..ahhahahah so I know what you mean. I guess I miss something I familiarize with growing up but everytime I go home I miss it. Ive worked on a shrimp boat, Ive jugged for gar-fish, ive hunted Nutria rat, ieat trout eggs, the best part of crabs are the eggs, I eat everything out of a crawfish heads, I guess Im just biased. Im a bayou boy, hell I even have it tat'ed over my heart. After Katrina I did see alot changed but maybe Im just a person who will love that city no matter what. When the storm hit I felt it in my heart and watched several freinds lose alot. The way people act on here Im sure they would feel the same if their friends and family lost everything. I stick up for the city when noone else does. Im a war veteran and an American and it pisses me off when people talk shit about any American city. I like to have a feeling that that is my home and I like to know that others will ALWAYS consider me family there and thats more than I can say from all of the other places Ive been. All my blood family live else where and hell they could give two shits but New Orleans has always been good to me. As far as crime and stuff go to STL or hell come to Atlanta. I see it here too ya know. Its funny that some people who have never been say how its crime riden and yet how do they know. I miss it and would move home in a heart beat but no time soon. Yes we dont speak like those movies hahahha. People ususally ask if Im from Boston when I talk and when I say New Orleans then they say oh yeah now i hear the difference.

ANyway car scene, yeah its not in the Orleans area but its around. I have a friend with a beautiful roadster in the Lafayette area. I believe its so so there. As far as the roads yes they SUCK...I mean SUCK. I even said that to my girl who wants to move there as well, that my truck would get the shit beaten out of it being lowered.

oh yeah and Axle great clips you posted. Ive wathed them all like 5 times now.

6. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

We've got that down here too. I was whizzing along on one of those when it threw a rod and sprayed me down with oil. Nothing like having an airplane engine scatter it's guts 6 inches from your head. haha.

7. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I don't want to start talking politics and get this thread shut down, but i'm still extremely ashamed of our government and what our officials didn't do (and still haven't done) since Katrina.

Seems someone in a far away country can step on a thumb tack and the military is sent to the rescue within hours, but in our own back yard we can't even......oh hell, don't get me started.

We were there a month before Katrina and haven't been back since. We're finally returning next week and looking forward to it. Guys, there's good & bad everywhere. Don't forget it.

Crawfish Etouffee here i come

8. Philbilly

Philbilly

I was down there about 5 years ago and yes someone asked me where I got my shoes while on bourbon street. That cost me 20 bucks for being a dumbass and not walking away.

9. Axle knows whats up...

10. floorman

floorman

wife drags me there everytime we go.She loves it in NOLA .May be headed there the first part of June if all goes well.

11. Homemade44

Homemade44

New Orleans is a great places to be from. I was born and raised there lots to do and the car scene was very good. Lot of hot rods being built, street racing and a drag strip in LaPlace about 40 miles north on Hwy 61. Jakes Speed shop had or could get you want you want. Other car places also but not as good a Jakes. This was in the 50's and 60's. It was a great place to grow up. Can't beat the food there, still good today. PoBoy sandwitch, any kind dressed was great. Seafood can't be any better. Weekend nights were spent crusing around town and enjoying the city.

The city started changing in the 70's and has continued to change for the worst in my opinion. Many of the people that were into cars moved out of the city but stayed in the area. The cost to live in the city was a lot more expensive than it was in the surrounding parishes, Jefferson, St Tammany and others. I moved in 1977 but still worked in St Bernard parish. Schools were deteriorating and crime was on the rise. The car scene was not what it once was.

Katrina was the final blow to the city that once was a great place. Many of the cars that were still there were flooded out and were sold by the insurance companies. Most of the car people that were still there moved away but stayed withing 100 miles of so of New Orleans. Most of the car activity is not in the city today but in the towns across the lake and north of the city. Slidell, Hammond, Baton Rouge and the Gulf Coast in Mississippi have most of the activities now. There is something going on every weekend. There are still some car guys on the west bank, across the Mississippi River and they build some nice cars.

I miss what New Orleans use to be but don't like what it is today. The food is still good there but I would not live there again because of the crime and the politics there.

Joe

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  12. 58sled

58sled

hepcat_13 you said it bro. I search louisiana on here all the time and try to introduce myself to everyone from here (or use to) and no one ever seems to want to get anything together so I sit out side and work on my car alone. but if you ever need help just let me know.

13. couldnt agree more , i myself am a former westbanker from marrero..

14. hepcat_13

hepcat_13

58 sled I'll hit you up when need some help. I'm just grinding now and I cant expect anyone to wanna help with that.

15. BISHOP

BISHOP

How do you loose 20 bucks from, "hey, where did you get your shoes".

16. its i will bet you $20 bucks i know where you got them shoes!!

17. Homemade44

Homemade44

You got them shoes on your feet. Give my $20.

18. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

My best friend lived there right up until the storm. I still have friends that live there. Since this has gone away from a hot rod thread here's my recommendations. The Saturn Bar. Hands down a great joint. Neil and Bailee have done their uncle proud. Camille Grill for the best butter pecan waffles. Grab a burger at Port of Call. Swing by the Louisiana Music factory for some good records. And the Magic School Bus record shop. Grab a fedora from Meyer the Hatter. Top it off with a Jazz poorboy from the Verti mart.

19. Jingles

Jingles

I live in south Ms. just 100 miles north of New Orleans. There are a lot of hotrods and race cars in the area but not in the center of New Orleans. Try looking for the cars in Hammond, Slidell, Kenner, Covington, Raceland or LaPlace. There are safe areas in the N.O. metropolitan area and some dangerous areas; learn where not to go before you go there.

20. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

dont complain dude I live in tijuana mexico, we have a higher murder rate then Irak.

21. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Here is what the Hot Rod scene looks like in Baton Rouge. Ha....

22. racerodcustom

racerodcustom
    Member Emeritus

Scene....We don't need no stinkin scene.
    I rather enjoy bangin sheet metal alone or with a few choice people. The nice thing about the people here that actually build their rides is we do just that. we dont go to EVERY rockabilly show or get all primped and pressed just to hop in some suv to play the role. hell, with these roads if i go out one night, the next is spent makin adjustments! but that dosent stop me from slammin gears down Magazine st. or passin people on the highway everyday when i drive my bomb 25 miles out of the city for work. between keepin my heap (aka daily driver) runnin, fixin my wife's 57, buildin a 54 for a buddy, and now helpin another with his truck (ahem, ahem), i dont have much time for cruisin and just hangin out. but for the most part, theres always greasy wrenches and cold beer to be had at my place. i wouldn't say there's a scene, but there's a few people that are straight up and decent and help with what and when they can. I kinda like it that way, when we do go to a show, i always park at the door. I'll push that fuckin toyota out of the way. i don't put grease in my hair, thats where i wipe my hands when i can't find a rag.
    anybody coming down is more than welcome to look me up. my wife works for a non profit helping rebuild this "toilet" so she can give you the real info on whats goin on.
    -mike

23. bobscogin

bobscogin

Joe, I live in Slidell and in the mid 60's used to make a pilgrimage to Jake's with the local rodders just about every Saturday. Thought you might like to see this -- the sign that hung over the entrance. A local rodder has it.

Bob

Attached Files:

24. Closest track is not 100 miles away, it's No Problem Raceway in Belle Rose. I think it's maybe an hour and a half from NO. I've raced there, great track. Has a bar in the tower.

25. There are many reasons to go to New Orleans....hot rods isn't one of them. I love the town.......have a herititage connection. We have a place near the French Market, and I'll be there next month to enjoy the food and Zydeco music at the old US Mint on Esplanade.

The car scene is almost entirely North Shore and Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Bobscogin...thanks for the picture of Jake's sign...I used to wander in there while visiting my Grandmother, who lived nearby. If you grew up in the area, you must remember seeing Boogie Scott, Q Ball Wales, Cupit & Cunningham at Laplace, Opelousas, Hattiesburg, Biloxi..........good old days.

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Pancakes at Betsy's Pancake House, coffee and beignets at Morning Call, Drago's for Italian food, The Tiffin Inn for breakfast, Harbor Seafood for seafood with the locals, and of course pralines from the Market, subs and muffelattas from the grocery store, great memories of NOLA with my wife's Father who was raised there and returned in later life. His Dad was a glassblower who claimed he made at least 1/2 of all the "JAX" beer neon signs ever made!

27. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I'd be up for an impromptu Hamb meet & greet Friday or Saturday night on Frenchmen street if anyone is interested? Just thought i'd throw it out there. Doesn't have to be a big deal, just some ice cold beers , listen to music, and of course, talk cars.

God, i can't wait to sink the teeth in some fresh Beignets !!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  28. Homemade44

Homemade44

Bob, Jake's sign is worth having for the memories. Wonder what happened to his green 40 Ford sedan delivery. Remember the magneto on the counter, tell your friend to hold the wire and you would spin the gear and watch him jump. Lot of good memories of New Orleans in the 50's and 60's.

Bob, I moved to Slidell in the early 70's and lived there for about 4 years. It has really grown since I lived there.

There is a drag strip in Gulfport, MS. It is about 4 miles from my house. Was at Belle Rose a couple of months ago, very nice track and easy to get to.

Joe

29. lowgalaxie

lowgalaxie

Another westbanker here. Like others have said in the surrounding parishes there is somewhat of a scene. There are cruise nights every weekend in jefferson parish but for the most part non HAMB friendly cars.

30. [QUOTE="Whitey Ford" 62 Uni;3934953]Damn dude were you raped or something while living there. [/QUOTE]

No, I wasn't raped, but---

A- I do have family that has been raped there

B- My sister was shot with a .357 in her bed during a break-in.

C- Attempted car jacking #1- My friend Ruger .40 cal saved my bacon.

D- Attempted car jacking #2- I was in a Vette, they were in a Maxima,
    you do the math.

F- Many friends and family robbed, stabbed, shot, murdered. Many cars,
    boats, bikes stolen, homes broken into, etc, etc, etc.

Shall I go on?