Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does your family trash talk your project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51delivery, May 18, 2009.

1. Larry T

Larry T

Uh, you might substitute *******rodder for Corvette weenie, and Model A for Vette or muscle car and see what that looks like. Kinda works both ways. LOL

On the family trash talk, I took one of "my kids" to school in a 1960 Chevy pickup I used to own. The truck was hoodless, lowered, mags/fat tires, 327/Muncie 4 speed. He told me he would appreciate it if I picked him up in my other (newer) pickup when school was out. So I did. On the way home, he said "Uncle Larry, we can use the old truck in the morning if you want too." Amazing what peer pressure will do, even with 7 year olds.
    Larry T

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'd bet if the 17 yr old had to walk to get where she's going- she would have a new appreciation for old cars & trucks.;)

3. westcoastct

westcoastct
    from ca

Yeah they all say what is that! you paid for that! then they want to take it to the shows without you. When its done.

4. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Ahhhh.....man after my own heart. I have 15 and 17 y/o's that I remind that exact way. I also make it a point, when they insist on wanting the latest and greatest, to grab an Auto Trader magazine to show them the current prices for those. I then grab the Classic Auto Trader and show them what that same money can buy and challenge them to point one out at the next car show or outting. I THEN remind them about the endless times they've insisted on how badly they want their "individuality". :D

5. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Yep... What he said! Nobody around here besides the wife and me even work. ALL they do is talk shit, with their NO workin' asses. Rude awakening for kids these days. We've made it too easy for them.

6. LOL...Mine too...:D

My daughters...6 and 8 years love my old long roof....the wife hated it when I first brought it home but she always warms up to them in time.

Now I need another house, mine only has a single car garage..:(..then I can get my rod project and the wife can start hating it too....until it's done that is.;)

7. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

my mom hates my car because she saids it a money pit, my dad hates it beacuse its not "all original"

8. corsair

corsair

I have an Edsel, I think that pretty well answers the question.

9. 62rebel

62rebel

my car-clueless son's friends are always amazed with the latest find i've drug home... my very patient wife just wants to know if i'm ever going to drive one of them. she long since gave up trying to control it!

10. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

My 94 year old mother (RIP) always wanted to know what I was going to do with the car once it was done. Tough question as I don't know when it will be "done". I usually told her I'd just drive it. I think she thought that was nuts.

11. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

All the time my 55 was in the shop being built my wife and 2 daughters would show up on occasion and just stare at it while they shook their heads and laughed saying it would never get done. Suprised the crap outta them when I drove it home. It now lives alone in my 2 car garage while the 2 dailys sit outside regardless of the weather. Now I'm the one laughing

12. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Every time my dad steps in my garage he says he still dosen't know why i took the car apart.And i should just sell it as parts.And i always pay to much for parts no matter what it is.

13. rusty48

rusty48

My wife told me once that she wouldn't give a dollar for everything I owned.

14. attastude

attastude

my wife and daughter always make fun of my studebaker, saying it's ugly, etc. but, at car shows and show+shines, my car always gets a lot more comments and appreciation than their cars do..

15. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Other than my kids, everyone thinks it pretty cool. My kids call it the turd and don't want to be seen in it. My 16 yr old is starting to drive, but is still not wanting to learn to drive it. She has been warming up though, she's starting to show some interest in what I'm doing and offers to help once in a while. The younger one says she likes older cars, but it only includes old vettes, mustangs, and cameros ( at least she isn't into rice burners !!!) They have agreed to go to 2 car shows with us this year so there's still hope !!

16. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

My 8 year old son likes my car, but thinks my daily driver is a piece of poop, which it is. I always tell him that while it may seem crappy now, wait for 8 years and see how it looks when he's driving it!

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

My ex wife used to

18. bluestang67

bluestang67

In laws always ask how there doing and sometimes my sons even help . Now the wife thinks I have a sickness and am crazy . But she never says anything bad about them .

19. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

My family is good about my toys . The problem I have is when I see another one I want my wife says " You have a 2 car garage and you have a car and a truck .....now do the math ! "
    Buy the way my dear wife loves old cars & trucks , goes to cars shows and swap meets with me PLUS she built me the 2 car garage 2 years ago for me so I wouldn't have to lay in the driveway to fix the car ! So I will have to say I don't have that problem ! :D

20. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Family?? Whats that???.... Oh wait you mean the woman and teenage girl that live in the structure next to my shop?

21. Mack81

Mack81
    from Tennessee

My wife likes it I think she'd be more interested if any of my junk actually drove around under it's own power lol. I'm sure some of the turds at work trash me up about my old cars. Seems like everyone expects some kinda reality tv show where the car gets done in a day.

22. junk fiend

junk fiend

i dont have a project but everytime i tell my dad i found a nice old car for sale or show him pictures on here he always "goes why do you want a old car do you have any idea how terrible old cars are" or my fav " they where POS's then and there POS's now". he grew up in Pasadena and Arcadia in the 60s, so i always ask did you ever see any cool cars when you were a kid. " i could care less about cars when i was young all i cared about was racing dirtbikes". hes into cars just not old ones i guess.

23. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

my kids think my car is the best, way better then everyone elses dads car.
    but the guys at work dont know shit.
    i get shit becuase i have australian cars as well as having old cars, they call my wifes daily and my daily dinosours.
    like america the trendy metro guys in the big cities only like the latest european and japanese buzz boxes and its not trendy to have big local cars with big angry motors.

my street thinks i am nuts, i built the car in the front yard, it spent a year on its side all cut up on the lawn, i am also often seen at 4 am in the front yard with flood lights while i quitely try to get things done, unfortunately all my motivation waits till about 1am to come to life.
    my mother in law used to look at my old car and ask when were we getting a "real car" after a couple of years we got a modern car, what a silly idea, what a unreliable pain in the arse those new cars are!

24. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

My wife tryin tell me to stop bringing home rusted out crap, then I crapped on the ground and said HEY do you like this instead.
    Nuff said.

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad to say no, my family, every one of them are into Hot Rods. Its a fight to keep whatever project I have, my Austin is with my sister and brother-in-law right now. I'm scared I wont get it back, my father and mother are babysitting my Nailhead from what I hear there will be a fight to get it back, my mother wants it for her A model.
    I like having a car freak family.
    Doc.

26. sunsetdart

sunsetdart

I had an old pickup years ago. It was all faded and it was my daily driver. My daughter really hated it. Then she asked me for a ride to the mall one day, told her get in, she said why do we have to take your truck? I said you have 2 choices.,walk or I take you in this. She didn't walk.....

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Nope..My daughter helps me find them:D:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  28. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Hey Michelle, you couldn't have said that better... You mis-spelled Camaro. Pretty much solidified how you feel. Ha-ha!!! Good Call.

29. HotrodQ

HotrodQ
    from Whittier

I bought my first hotrod/custom a 1950 ford. Brought it home and my father proceeded to ask me why I bought a Ford. Then he asked for the keys and took it for an hour long test drive.

30. rodknocker

rodknocker

I have an uncle who's a hoarder,he's got a barn full of old cars rotting away, he thinks he's hot shit because he judges high end car shows, so when I told him I chopped my shoebox, he tried to rip into me about ruining the car.I told him if I ever get into his barn I'm gonna chop all of the cars in there!!