Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 Inch small bearing rear end - need brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ctfortner, May 18, 2009.

1. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Hello all, dazed and confused.

I recently bought a 9" housing that is small bearing 28 spline.

I need backing plates and drums. The cheapest "new" brake set I can find is $400 for 10" or $500 for 11", as they say the small bearing are more rare than the big bearing, thus the larger price tag.

Is this my best choice or should I consider going disc at this point, or is there a cheaper alternative to add brakes to this thing? Could I used brakes from an 8" or something else?

2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Try Johns Industries in Caspian Michigan 800-332-3450

I used a set of their drum kits and they work very well

3. Currie's may be a good place to go for the backing plates.

4. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Thanks, checked with Johns, they have what I need, a tad cheaper at $375. Looks like if I go new, thats going to be about what it costs.

I will see what currie has also.

5. I used 66 Fairlane 10 inch brakes from an 8 inch on my 59 Ford 9 inch....backing plates and all.I did however have to machine the drums a bit to clear the backing plate edges.

6. havi

havi

11" small bearing 9" brake drums are rarer than others, yes. However, 10"x2.5" is an option. Axle shafts are the same between 8" and sm. bearing 9" so I would say the backing plates and drums should interchange.

7. 50shoe

50shoe

yep, the 10x2.5 were on may late 60s fords. if you have the backing plates then the guts + drums should not run you more than ~$150.

8. Drive Em

Drive Em

First figure out the brake offset, which is the measurement from the outside of the axle flange to the inside of the axle retaining flange. There are different brake offset measurements, 2", 2 1/4", and 2 1/2". Once you have the brake offset, you can have a better idea of what to look for as 8" brakes are the same and are easier to find, but they only come in 10" versions.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I followed the info in the tech article (Below) and installed 1990 Lincoln Towne car backing plates, drums and brakes (which are 10 x2 1/2) on my 1973 Mustang 9 in. small bearing rear. The entire rear wheel brake assembly for both wheels - including drums, loaded backing plates cost me $50 and is a direct bolt on. All I had to do was make spacer rings to fit the "nub" of the 9 in axle and the large hole in the brake drum. This was done so as to center the drum on the axle and not by using the axle studs to center the drum and carry the load.. I have an extra set of the spacers if you need them. This is a "soild gold" tech article. I have also attached photos I took at the junk yard and the parts I removed from the Lincoln. You will have to remove "C" clips that hold the axles in the Lincoln pumpkin. Then axles come right out. If needed you can by new brake shoes, springs, drums etc at any parts store. Not expensive. I painted and labeled final assembly. Here's the tech article.
    http://mustangsandmore.com//ubb/RearBrakesbySamGriffith.html The article also shows what other rear brake assemblies will also work. The wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface did not change since the Lincoln Towne car backing plates had more offset. Don't crawl under the junkyard car with only the jack supporting the vehicle. Hope this helps and removes "dazed" and "confused" feeling.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  10. 4woody

4woody

11. i have a pair of 9" ford small bearing loaded backing plates here , i have no idea what car they came off of. they are 11". if you any need measurements let me know

12. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Wow, thanks for all the info guys, extremely helpful! I knew yall would pull through.

I have measured about everything on the rear, except for the offset, I will check it out tonight.

I am considering the disc option too, although I recently installed my new master which is disc/drum and would have to start over with that.

19fordy that is perfect! Thanks for that info. I am going to read through that and if I go that way I will def. hit you up for the spacers if you dont mind.

13. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

That would be great. I wonder what drums i would need to use, and how hard they would be to get hold of, unless you have those also?

14. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

Too bad you don't need a 9 inch big bearing set up. I have a complete brake set up from a 1973 Grand Torino wagon that I've wanted to give away for some time now with no takers. I don't have the heart to throw it away. Probably too expensive to ship due to the weight. Oh well.

15. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

I had one guy said he used the big bearing plates, and just redrilled them as needed. I will talk to him about that.

16. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Reckin mid-late 60's galaxy drums and brakes would fit? I know where a few are if they would.

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I would like to know how you determine the pinion offset. I used the following formula that was told to me. Pinion offset equals 4.375 -(Length of Pass axle minus Length of Driver side axle) divided by 2. the number 4.375 is a Constant, but I don't know why. Please let me know if this makes sense and works works for you. thanks, jim

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  18. I'm using 8" backing plates but with 2" shoes/drums off a Granada on my 40 - works really nicely and it was real cheap!

Attached Files:

19. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Check the Ford racing drum brakes from Summit, last time I looked it was 250 for the pair, but that didnt include drums.

20. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

I have a set of brakes and drums from a 77 maverick and also a set from a comet I am going to try when I get some time. Maybe they will work. That would be great, and cheap!

21. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I used 8" inchers on my 57 ford 9 inch on my 33

22. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

not to hijack this thread but i am running a early bronco small bearing housing and recently picked up a set of 11 inch by 2 and a half drums brand new which were refered to as the police specials ! i would like to run these on my rear and was wondering what was out there for small bearing 11 inch backing plates that would work ?

23. If my memory serves me right my 59 Ford 9 inch was originally 11 inch x 2 inch. Gotta watch the axle offset though.....

24. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

So are all 8 inch backing plates created equal? Meaning all backing plates on the 8's are the same.

I took the 8 inch maverick brakes and set them on the 9" and it seemed like a perfect fit to me. But I have not checked any offset, and not really sure the right way to do that.

Carlos were yours a throw on and go, or did you modify anything?

25. The offset of the axle flange will determine where the drum will end up in relation to the brake shoes.The shoes and the drum braking surface have to line up correctly.

26. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Ok, confused more. I thought I read that all small bearing 9" rears were 2 1/2" offset.

Here is mine being measured, 2 1/4 is all I can get out of it.

I wanted to post what I was doing so maybe I am overlooking something.

1.jpg

Here is some pics of the rear itself, which is believed to be a 57-59 9" small bearing.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

27. 57-58 had the drain in the housing like yours....Mine is a 59 and has no drain.That offset looks correct.If your 8 inch has the same offset then the backing plates and drums should work just fine.

28. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

The maverick 8" offset seems to be the same. The only reason I am still looking into this is because the maverick brakes are 10" x 1 3/4". I would like to go at least to a 10" x 2 1/2".

Gentleman on here has a set of 10 x 2 1/2" for me from a 72 torino, but we figured the offset on mine had to be 2 1/2" for them to work correctly?

29. I tried 73 Ranchero brakes on mine and they wouldn,t fit properly.Ended up using 66 Fairlane 8 inch diff brakes.

30. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

well I have the granada discs on the front of the car now, so should I just go with the brakes from the 8" rear? I have a slightly wild stroker motor going in, just want to make sure I can STOP it.

Here is the maverick 8" brake offset measurement

mav.jpg