Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new ride - 53 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TNHaney, May 19, 2009.

1. TNHaney

TNHaney

Just wanted to post a few pictures of my new ride / project. It is a 53 Plymouth Cambridge. Flat 6, 3-speed. The car is fairly solid for its age and runs/drives good. Clutch is a little weak, but that is no big deal. The chrome is rough / pitted but I plan on taking most of that off. I would like to find some good grille pieces though....

Here is what I am thinking..... Flat black, No trim on sides at all only bumpers, grille chrome, and ship on hood, red wheels, wide whites, lake pipes, and 3" drop then ride the heck out of it..... I would also like to find some cool items for the six (2x1 intake, split exhaust manifolds, head, etc.) If any body has any good trim or go-fast goodies for a six, I am in the market.....

What do you think?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. These cars rock! More guys should be buildin them. I wish I could find one around here.
    So what are the plans?

-Shiny

3. cool car , my granddad had one , same color..

4. TNHaney

TNHaney

Here is what I am thinking..... Flat black, No trim on sides at all only bumpers, grille chrome, and ship on hood, red wheels, wide whites, lake pipes, and 3" drop then ride the heck out of it..... I would also like to find some cool items for the six (2x1 intake, split exhaust manifolds, head, etc.) If any body has any good trim or go-fast goodies for a six, I am in the market.....

5. TNHaney

TNHaney

Oh yeah, I would like to have a visor and some fender skirts too.... How hard are those to find for these cars?

6. storm king

storm king

You asked...I think flat black with red wheels would suck on shuch a clean car. Find a Chevy to butcher instead. Narrow and tuck the bumpers, maybe flip the front one, french the headlights, just lose the straight side chrome trim. I'd find a nice medium blue similar to what's on it, but a modern version. Maybe even two tone it with some creame color or silver/grey. Three inch drop might be a bit much. Really low usually translates to "rides like shit"

7. Love those '49-'54 Mopars! You sure found a nice, straight little car! Shouls make a great project. If you can't find any flattie six speed goodies, a small block Mopar (318-360) fits in there very nicely, good info on some other threads here on doing that. Keep us posted!

8. TNHaney

TNHaney

Yeah, I have been into the SB mopar thing for a long time and actually this is the first older (pre 64) car I have ever owned. I would really like to keep the six just to have something different. If a swap is in order then it HAS to be for a 241 early hemi!!!!!!

I do agree though, a 360 would fit nicely in there.......

9. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

Why butcher up such a nice car? I'd leave it alone and drive the wheels off it!! Flat black? Red rims? Yuck.... Shine is fine!!

10. I have always liked that body style. Cool car!

11. Joatha

Joatha

What do I think? I think I like the blue that's on there better than the idea of flat black. I would keep the six (with some go-fast goodies), make some mods (ie remove some of it) to the trim, rub out the paint, and drive it. Dropping it 3" (that may be a bit much), adding wide whites, and throwing on some lake pipes sound good as well. A visor would be cool, too.

I think you'd be stupid to touch that paint if your plan is to spray it flat black.

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

A nice rake and some 15" 5 spokes/blackwall radials, bigs and smalls.

13. Scott F.

Scott F.

Neat car. As for the clutch, you can baby it a bit as this car should have a 'fluid drive' which means that you can come to a complete stop, in gear without using the clutch. when cruising around town in my 53 dodge I usually have it in 3rd and just use the brake to stop at stop signs and never fiddle with the clutch unless down shifting or unless I have to take off "fast". That should let you extend the life of that clutch a bit.

Scott

14. please no flatblack lower it a bit. langdons makes a ton of go fast stuff for you. check out the p15-d24 forum i believe skirts are reproed for your car same with the visor. my car is a 51 so i'm not sure for yours. i'll try and find a link for you if you promise not to turn that clean car into a bullshit ratrod. that is a nice car please try to keep it that way.

15. jazzbum

jazzbum

i agree with glendale, man, don't mess with it too much. everybody's got a flat black car with red wheels, not everybody's got a nice, clean mild mopar. i'd go sleeper with it, hot rod the six. just my opinion, of course, your car.

16. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Drop it, polish the chrome bits instead of removing them, DO NOT flatblack/redwheel it, and drive it.

17. Had a 51 for years, these are fun cars to just drive!!! Lots of luck with it, parts are easy to come by too.

18. MERC 55

MERC 55

53 and 54 didn't usually have fluid drive. The plymouth flat 6 was the easiest 6 to split the exhaust. find you an extra exhaust manifold, the outlet is at the back of the manifold. cut it off, drill a hole in the center under the exhaust flaper and weld the piece in. Back in 1959/60 I had a 54 two door hardtop with 3 aces and split exhaust.

19. TNHaney

TNHaney

Wow, I never knew so many would be against the flat black look. The pictures I took of the car are very flatering.... the paint on the car is way past gone..... Has surface rust and some thru rust on the passenger side.... I would not make this a true RAT rod but I just like the look of the flat paint and painted wheels..... I will post a link to all the pictures of the car and then see what you think....

I really do appeciate everyones comments so far.... I can tell you that this car is going to be really fun. I have been into the muscle car thing for 25 years so this is a fresh game to me....

This car is not a Fluid Drive, just a standard 3-speed.

<EMBED src=http://haney2.myphotoalbum.com/slideshow.swf?xmlfile=http://haney2.myphotoalbum.com/albumFeedShare.php?set_albumName=album12 width=640 height=563 type=application/x-shockwave-flash WMODE="transparent"></EMBED>

20. havi

havi

+1 !!

21. TNHaney

TNHaney

22. snelson57

snelson57

Agree with the others - flat black and red wheels are over. Dont do it. If you must have flat, pick a color. Take a look at the Hot Rod Flatz line.

I would probably leave the trim other than the badges and hood ornament. French the headlights. Down a few inches w/ WW, black steelies, spider caps and trim rings.

23. phukinartie

phukinartie

I am for no flat black no red wheels no de-chrome save the time and effort for Langdon hop up parts and a close to same color repaint .....And drive the snot out of it!!!

24. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

I'm all for keeping the color too... I think the same color in flat would be great. It is unique as it sits, why make it mundane?

You can have quite a bit of fun with the six, check out what I did with mine here...

Pete

25. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

That an awsome find. I think it would be wise to stick with that same color when you paint it.

26. red wheels AGAIN, might as well drop a 350 crate in it and it will be like all the others

27. shifticus

shifticus

1)Make sure it goes, stops and turns... when you want it to
    2)Clean the heap up and throw some wide whites on.
    3)Drive.

What I did with mine, and I have a blast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

does this '53 have the hy-drive tranny in it?

29. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

NO FLAT BLACK !!! :mad:

If it was mine I would do the WWW tire and Lancer style hubcaps .
    The car really looks good now so why not put your money into the hot rod parts and rebuild the engine ( if needed ) then worry about a nice dark blue paint job later ! Just my 2 cents worth ! :cool:

30. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

No Flat Black!!!....cool car. I wish mine was that clean.