Register now to get rid of these ads!

have you seen brake drums like these

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Johnny Hotrod, May 18, 2009.

1. I took these off of my brothers 30-31 model a, which started off as a tudor or fordor and was turned into a pick up. any help or what numbers to look at would be great. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Got them on one of my '32 Fords. I think some people call them Rocky Mountain Drums.
    ( cooling )

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Arent they AA Truck?

4. That's regular model 40 stuff.

5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Rocky Mountian drums...improved cooling

6. Weasel

Weasel

brokenspoke beat me to it - yep, Rocky Mountain drums.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Sure look like these 32 Ford drums.

8. Yea Doc that's where they came from its an old, old school hot rod trick.
    I remember going to Diego to pic up an old canyon racer with a friend beck in the later '70s or Early '80s. It had that brake setup and a super trick caddy mill.
    It was going to become a high zoot (for the time) street rod. But then I was along for the ride (and then of course there was advice from the Ol' Man when we got back to the bay area) and became a super trick old timmy canyon racer. Cleaned up and freshened in its true hot rod form.

If ya gotta have old time racer chit that's the stuff there brother.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Had one of these on my 28 A front axle..
    i was told Rocky Mountain Drums too

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Check the diameter; if 11" they are A, not '32-4. They are sometimes called Rocky Mountain, but in fact are standard production parts from the very end of Model A production.
    They are actually valuable--post'em on Fordbarn if 11"! They are the only good OEM drums for A, and the only originals likely to be in safe condition.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Introduced in late 31 the 11" open face drums were the predecessor to the style used in 32-35.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The drums that came off of my low mileage 32 Spt Cpe are closed design. It was first registered in Penn. June 6 of 32 and I'm pretty damn sure they are the ones that it left the factory with. Could it be that different plants used different parts giving credence to the Rocky Mountain folk lore?

13. wow thanks, great to know, its great to tap into the vast knowledge that is the H.A.M.B., i only hope i can return the favor as many times a possible.