Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "may banger may not" may's monthly meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sko_ford, May 1, 2009.

1. Looks good Bloodyknuckles!!!

I drove mine today. It was raining, but still the highlight of the week:D

[​IMG]

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Looks good Chris. Just im time for some Summer fun!!

3. Chris, Thanks alot man. I'm ready to get going on mine.

Yours looks pretty damn good too!!

BloodyKnuckles

4. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Great pictures guys. Love the videos Chris. I finally got mine running right. Who would have thought a $5.00 condensor could cause such a head ache.

5. Gaters

Gaters

I'm headed out to El Mirage tomorrow with the roadster. This will be my first time out to the dry lakes so I am excited to go. I'll be taking my dad out and plan on having him drive the roadster out there. "Blind man on the track!!!":eek:

This will be the return voyage for my roadster too. Best I can tell it was 1949 or 1950 that it was last out there racing under the South Gate Gaters banner. Bit of a historic day for me and hopefully for my dad too. He was 17 years old when he was tagging along with Ray his cousin who owned and raced the roadster out there. He was only 26 at that time.

I'll get plenty of pictures and I'll be taking video too. Too bad I don't have a digital video, lest I'd share that too. Anyway, I'll report back when I can.

Gaters -

6. Chris, that looks good.

7. andyg

andyg

gaters, that's very cool....post pics please...
    chris....that's awesome ride!

8. RussTee

RussTee

best of luck a true challenge for you and the car

9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Hey Gaters,
    Did you get the carbs worked out?
    Good luck tomorrow. I can't wait for the pictures.

10. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I made the time today to take apart the 32 truck chassis I bought a couple of weeks ago. The valves are still stuck but here's the crankcase. The engine is fairly clean on the inside.
    [​IMG]:)

11. Counterbalanced crank! Score!!!!

12. Gaters

Gaters

Crazydaddyo,

It's a lot better! I still have a slight hesitation at the start of the throttle but I think I can work through that by trouble shooting some of the other ideas you gave me by dialing in the smaller jets I'd already installed. I've also learned to work to throttle to eliminate the hesitation anyway.

I was able to get my Mallory ignition working, which seemed to clear up a lot of the timing trouble I was having. Again, I used your instruction to work through the set up.

It was a BLAST!!!!! The races were squashed by winds, so I was bummed I didn't get to see anybody run. But the experience was next to none. I'll post pictures in a following thread.

Thanks a ton for your help,

Gaters -

13. Gaters

Gaters

RussTee,

Sorry. I read through my post again and I made it sound like I drove the roadster the distance. I didn't. I trailered the roadster to the lakes and drove it once we were out there. It was basically it's maiden voyage at El Mirage beside going around the block around here at home.

I may take that trek another day though!!

Thanks for the well wishes.

Gaters -

14. I went "down the hill" yesterday and on our way home we stopped in Phelan around 5 PM and I saw a huge cloud of dust on the west end of El Mirage. Was that you?

15. Gaters

Gaters

HA! It could have been. I met Billy Crewl (HELLMET) out there with his Calori roadster and we were making a few dust clouds ourselves on the far west end. We left out about 4:30 and would have been around Phelan on 395 about that 5PM. We crossed paths last night.

Honestly, there were some giant dust clouds that formed and enveloped the track. Some of the guys we'd met up with (HAMBERs) were just covered in dust. As dusty as it was, where we were at wasn't that bad.

16. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Met up with some other As at a Flyn this morning.

My car looks pretty standard until you compair it with a couple of stockers. The car closest has stock suspension and 21" wheels, the furthest has stock suspension and 16" wheels. Mine in the middle has a reversed eye spring with a leaf removed and 16"wheels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

18. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

hello there... just wanted to show my fathers rpu banger ,he drives this thing every weekend...

http://[​IMG]

barrnone50 likes this.
  19. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Great article in Bonneville Racing News this month by Rich Fox on building steel main caps for his Dodge 4.

20. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Sure wish I could've made it to the Jalopy Showdown, but I did have a blast with the kids today watching the AARA guys race at the fairground in Washington Court House, Ohio. Sorry I don't have any shots of the cars in motion, it was REALLY great to see and hear these things doing what they were built to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This car was incredible, engine was a SOHC that was handmade by a guy out of the Chicago area named Krensek. He built the chassis, too, circa '34. Looked very graceful on the track:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Studebaker flat 6 I believe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model A/B powered midget:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looked like a good time was being had by all. They ran the cars hard but didn't race too hard, the emphasis was on fun and safety. They ran in three groups - big cars (champ cars & speedster), offy midgets, and other midgets. They would bunch up, take the green, then run 10 hot laps or so.

Check them out here if you are interested:

http://www.antiqueautoracing.com/index.html

Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com

21. Will Kimble,

Thanks for the pics! Do you have any more info on this car- specifically, the radiator shell? It looks a little straight down the sides to be a Whippet, but is just about exactly what I'm looking for!!!

[​IMG]

22. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Thought id post up some pics of the touring. (Chris, show these to Len)
    still not close to being done, its my senior project due in 2 weeks, and i still have no front doors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 88daryl88

88daryl88

Will Kimble,
    Another thank-you for the pictures.
    I think I had a 'special moment'.
    There's almost nothing better than a vintage midget with DIRT on it.[​IMG]

24. 88daryl88

88daryl88

[​IMG]
    STUNNING - TOTALLY STUNNING!!!. :D

25. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Sorry Mac, I don't have any more info on the big orange #99 car. It was really beautiful and ran great. I would guess the radiator shell is handmade, but I don't know for sure.

Will

26. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it is a cut and sectioned chrysler product, probably mid 20's.

27. Lookin sweet Duke!!! I'll send these pics to Lenny for sure!

28. Wondering about that or possibly Paige?

29. Gaters

Gaters

Hey,

Check out this post on my day at El Mirage if you hadn't already seen it. These are the picts I promised.

Thanks everyone!!!!! You'll never know how much this meant and this group was a big part of helping me get my roadster on the road.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362924

Gaters -

30. andyg

andyg

very cool gater!....ver cool!
    nice piece of history....well done!