Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Santa Maria post for those not familar with the area...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, May 17, 2009.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

If you are not familiar with the Central Coast here is a thread for those of us that are from the area to put stuff to do.

I know the car show will take up 99% of your time but if you do find yourself with free time there is quite a bit to do in the area.

1. If you love steak visit Nipomo and eat at Jocko's. It is a steak house and is quite famous. Make sure and have reservations as last Saturday at 6pm was a 3 hour wait. We just made our reservations tonight for next saturday night. The steaks are amazing and if you are adventurous try the sweetbread. There can normally be found out front harleys or old hot rods.

2. If you can not get into Jocko's try McClintocks in Shell Beach. The food is good and if you are adventurous try the Turkey Nuts...they sell over 10,000 pounds a year.

3. If you are wanting some nice clam chowder try the Splash Cafe in Pismo. Carefull though as the line can wrap outside for almost a block at times. I guess they have other food then clam chowder but to be honest I have never looked. I just get the chowder in a breadbowl.

4. If you are into newd beaches there is pirates cove...as you are heading into Avila you will see a road that goes off to the left up a hill. follow it to the top. I have only gone once a long time ago when I was 18 and it was old naked people :eek:

5. In Santa Maria on weekends you will find Santa Maria style BBQ...it is tri-tip meat, beans, salsa, bread. It is some of the best BBQ you will find anywhere.

6. If you like old drive ins (even if they are not open anymore) take the short drive to Lompoc and check out what is left of Valley Drive-in. It is right off the road and how cool would your old car look in a picture with this in the background
    [​IMG]

I am sure there are more but this is where I will stop for now. I was born in Santa Maria and lived there through the 3rd grade and moved back to SLO for 6 years in the 90's. It is by far my favorite area in California.

2. no55mad

no55mad

Just North ~ 15 miles in Arroyo Grande, the Strawberry Festival is also happening Memorial Day weekend - great strawberry shortcake, pancakes and strawberries in the morning:p, beer battered onion rings. On Moday, there is a car/parts swap meet at the Nipomo swap meet - you can see this facility just west of 101 on the frontage road - easily accessable from the Teft street exit.

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

There was a Valley drive-in where I used to live back in the late 60's . They used to show skin flicks back in the day and you could watch them as you drove down the main road . That was in Reistertown , Md .

4. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

FYI, Santa Maria still does have a functioning Drive Inn... completely paved (none of that gravel shit) and you can use their crappy speakers or tune into their FM station.

5. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to Guadalupe to the Far Western for bbq or the Hitchin post ....Way better than Jockos im my opinion..

The Highway Drive Inn in Santa Maria is better than Slo ...

Also plenty of back roads for cruzin lots of beautiful stuff to see..

6. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

saw a band at the hitchin post once. but have never eaten there. will have to try it.

I watched a scary movie at the slo drive-in from the cemetery...pretty freaky!

7. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watched a scary movie at the slo drive-in from the cemetery...pretty freaky![/QUOTE]

I did that to when SAW 2 came out it was freaky..

8. mopedcouple

mopedcouple

Sorry guys i have to do some shameless plug.

Old Vienna Rest./Beer Garden in Shell Beach. Authentic German Food and Large Beers. Super Fun, There is even a polka band that plays covers like... White wedding, whip it, Iron man (accordion man) etc. sorry my in-laws own the place

9. RocketGirl

RocketGirl

We just ate there last Friday at Old Vienna and it was awesome and the band was great.

10. JOEHOODS

JOEHOODS

Hell yeah!! Potato pancakes!! No apple sauce extra sour cream! And a nice octoberfest beer!