Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Mercury Coupe We're Working On Returns.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldtimerodder72, May 17, 2009.

1. Been a little over a month since I've posted anything on the Merc build, so I thought a little update might be in order. For those of you who are just joining us now, I'm providing a link to my original posting here...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345525

Progress has been steady since my last posting, so without further adieu, here's the next segment.

Here are some more detail shots of the parklight housings, along with some photos of the lead work to the driver side, and finally more adjustment to the hood gap.

The first is a series of closeups of the Passenger side parklight housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we have a few of the driver side parklight housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the lead has been applied to the driver side quarter panel. Lead has yet to be shaped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here lead is being used to help adjust the hood gaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now a few showing the grille as installed in the front end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

wow ! OUTSTANDING WORK ! i especially like the grill

3. Cool shit dude!!!!

4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The grille is facing upward, be careful..... just mocked up Im sure. Absolutle perfection. Like I said, Harry Bradley would love this car.

5. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second that ....

6. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Very Nice. I like the overall work. Awesome job.

Pls. dont take this the wrong way and understand that you are still mocking up but it seems the grill seem a slight bit lower on the passenger side. Might be the photo but It would be a shame to be slightly off on such beautiful work. Just a freindly recommendation.:)

Peace,

Chevnut

7. In this segment we install the spotlights and make the final adjustments to the hood gaps.

[​IMG]

Here we have the passenger side spotlight installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Showing the routing of the passenger side spotlight through the window post.

[​IMG]

Final hood gap adjustment on the passenger side.

[​IMG]

Final hood gap adjustment on the driver side.

[​IMG]

Driver side spotlight installation taken from the side.

[​IMG]

Spotlight handle detail as shown through the window post into the interior.

[​IMG]

Slightly overhead view of the hood gap at cowl and trial fitting of the spotlights.

[​IMG]

Closeup showing the correct angle for mounting the spotlight through the garnish moulding on the passenger side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View of the front showing final adjusted hood gap.

[​IMG]

Another view of the front.

[​IMG]

View of the driver side showing continuation of the metal shaping to the fadeaway.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the driver side spotlight showing correct angle through the garnish moulding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slightly overhead view of the hood gap at the cowl taken from the passenger side.

[​IMG]

Final gap adjustment on the front edge of the hood where it meets the grille surround.

[​IMG]

Final hood gap adjustment showing rounded hood corners on driver side.

[​IMG]

Final hood gap adjustment showing rounded hood corners on passenger side.

[​IMG]

3/4 quarter view taken from the passenger side front corner.

8. Come on guys, with the level of detail and all the work that has been done to this car, do you really think I'm going to let the grille or any other part of the car remain out of kilter? This is merely the mock up stage. Trust me, the final product will be arrow straight.

9. chevyshack

chevyshack

Thats some serious metal working.

10. [​IMG]

Here the lead is being shaped on the driver side quarter panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup from the inside of where the handle for the spotlight passes through the passenger side windshield moulding.

[​IMG]

Closeup from the inside of where the handle for the spotlight passes through the driver side windshield moulding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The spotlights are being mocked up in these photos as well. The final angles and adjustments will be perfect.

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Masterful work.you should be proud!

12. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

That is some really nice work!

13. Matt S.

Matt S.

I've been waiting for the updates on this, again... incredible work!

14. brady1929

brady1929

wow, awesome job

15. moter

moter

wow!! Great job!! Love all the work!!

16. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

You nixed the bodyline dogleg in the doors, just a fade front to back. Always a nice touch, and had to be a pain to do!

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

As discouraging as it is encouraging! LOL Maybe you should think about working in a subtle mistake somewhere.

18. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

haha for real

19. banditomerc

banditomerc

Its a custom,remember it is what appeals to the builder...thats what makes it different and not a copy of so many.:cool:

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As fine a 51 Merc as I have ever seen. Congratulations! Look forward to seeing the progress on this.

21. Ok folks, this will be the last posting for a while. This segment deals with the modifications to, and fitting of the rear bumper.

[​IMG]

Here is the test fitting of the modified bumper and trunk guard.

[​IMG]

See if you can figure out exactly what the modifications were.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the center portion of the bumper with the installed trunk guard.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the licence plate mounting area.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the trunk guard fit to the modified bumper taken from the passenger side.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the trunk guard fit to the modified bumper taken from the driver side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup of the driver side bullet fit to the bumper.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the passenger side bullet to bumper fit.

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of the passenger side exhaust extensions. All pieces are made out of T-304 stainless steel. This piece is designed to adapt the tailpipes to route into the centers of the trunk guard bullets.

[​IMG]

Photo of how the extension mounts to the back of the bumper and how it allows the exhaust to exit through the center of the trunk guard.

[​IMG]

Here is a better view showing how the pipe is routed and mounted on the driver side. Notice how the bumper bracket is routed to follow the curve of the exhaust extension.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stock 1951 Mercury licence plate light adapted to the trunk guard.

[​IMG]

View from behind of the rear end modifications.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More photos for your enjoyment.

[​IMG]

The adjusted gap of where the bumper wraps around the side of the quarter.

[​IMG]

Trial fitting of the bumper top around the quarter panel extension. This gap has yet to be finished.

22. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Show off!:D That thing rocks!

23. I have decided to let the photos speak for themselves. I will only comment if there is a unique point I would like to raise, otherwise please enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished passenger side windshield moulding showing modification for spotlight mounting hardware.

[​IMG]

Finished driver side windshield moulding showing modification for spotlight mounting hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, we're coming to the last of this post for a little while. The following pictures give you an insight into the direction we're going with the taillights. The taillight on the left is a stock 54 Mercury lense. The middle lense is pretty much how the taillights will be finished. Over each rib in the lense there will be a polished stainless steel trim cover. The lense on the right has yet to have the stainless rib trim installed.

[​IMG]

A few more pictures of the taillight lenses under development.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My next post will comprise the completed installation of the taillights, the final back bumper modifications, fitting and installing the side trim and finalizing all the other little items that need to be completed. Oh yes, and not to forget the creation of the exterior window trim pieces.

24. WOW, blows my mind.

25. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Fantastic! I love seeing the updates and incredible quality of work. Thank you. What is the color going to be?

26. 39studebaker

39studebaker

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

28. Fraz, there is more hours in doing the fadeaway then there was in chopping the top. It was one helluva job.

29. Thanks for all the compliments guys. I really appreciate all the positive feedback. Hey shoebox, the car is going to be burgundy with a gold flake in it.