Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rare small block chevy intakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ol' Drippy, Jan 26, 2007.

1. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

what about the smokey yunick cross ram intake for the 302? I had one until someone stole it.

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. Flashback Bill

Flashback Bill
    from PA

I have four 3x2 intakes and they are all different. My Offenhauser and Edelbrock small 2GC intakes are pretty common, as far as 3x2 intakes go, but not everyone has one of those. But the Fenton 3x2 I just scored at the Jalopy Showdown was the first one I ever saw. Underneath the intake it has MD 483 stamped into it. I wonder if that stands for manufacturing date 4-1983? Does anyone know when these manifolds were made and sold?

No one has yet mentioned the Edelbrock model C-362 large bore 2GC 3x2 intake. I have only ever seen the one I own....but don't know ecclectic it is. This tripower intake came from Biddy Winward of 60's era top fuel drag racing fame. Edelbrock brought out this manifold in 1962. The advertisement reads:

"Venturi area equal to 5 stromberg 97's. Considerably extends power range, smooth at all speed. Use with large Rochester 2GC's or tri-power carbs. 1" lower than conventional triple manifolds. Ideal for Corvettes"

That was the description listed in the "Whats New" column of the July 1962 Hot Rod Magazine. The manifold cost $92.75 new.

I just happened to have my copy with me the day I bought the intake and thought I remembered seeing the add about it being built for the large bore 2GC carb. I have a Vette and thought the suggestion of being for one was pretty cool. So with four 3x2 set ups in my possession, I guess think I might officially have started a collection. Now I need to collect the manufacturers corresponding valve covers to go with each intake to have a matching top end set.

Does anyone know if they sold Fenton valve covers that would compliment the their 3x2 inake manifold?

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. skunx1964

skunx1964

ya, someone has posted a complete fenton dressup kit. intake, valve covers, and headers

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I've got a Creitz intake that I've had for a long time. A co-worker recently was telling me about his 55 Chevy back in the 60's; He was running Jackson fuel injection (maybe from jackson gear drive fame?). Never heard of it-Anyone?

1Nimrod likes this.
  5. budd

budd

smokey ram, SY1, one day when everyone has tossed theres mine will be the only one left.

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Here ya go..... :)

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  7. skunx1964

skunx1964

yup, thats it. niiiiicccee

1Nimrod likes this.
  8. Weasel

Weasel

Maybe Tecalemit Jackson - a British company which developed FI in the 1960s for sports racing? I think Holman Moody used it extensively in the 60s. I had a setup for a 289 Ford years ago.

1Nimrod and Movinman like this.
  9. Larry T

Larry T

Pete Jackson made fuel injection, he was "Kong" Jacksons (ignition guy) brother.
    Larry T

I shouldn't post before coffee, Pete Jackson made gear drives. A quick google says it is Tecalemit Jackson.

Did some more looking and found some references to Pete Jackson manifolds and barrel valves so who knows.................

Last edited: May 17, 2009
    1Nimrod likes this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

11. oldschool1956olds

oldschool1956olds

i have a creitz intake that i was looking to sell or trade for a three duece intake. or sell it out right

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. oldschool1956olds

oldschool1956olds

i have a creitz 2x4 low profile chevy intake. looking to sell or trade it for a 3x2 intake.

1Nimrod and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  13. I have a Weiand 2 X 4 crossram with carbs are actually side/side not off set

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Heres a sbc 2x2 my buddy built....Not og rare, but cool.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, Deuces and volvobrynk like this.
  15. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Duh! Yoose guys done fergot the SAM-O-RAM! :cool:

16. Muttley

Muttley

Thats the same way mine was, ShakeyPuddin55 owns it now.

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Lots of great stuff on here. I have nothing rare, but nobody mentioned my Weiand Dragstar with 6 Strombergs. I also have a Fenton with 3 Rochesters. On my coupe I'm running a Weiand C3b. Saw a C3bx for sale at the swap last week.

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

I guess this is Rare <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>
    Yes I would say so. Crossram and Porcupine heads....sweet.

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Big block with factory cross ram and aluminum heads? Tell us more about it!

I dig the hell out of those valve covers, too.

All I've got is a bunch of generic stuff... Edelbrock C3B, C3BX, C4B, Say Why-And, and I just got an unmachined Weiand 4x2 dual plane from Stephen Fields here on the HAMB.

-Brad

1Nimrod and volvobrynk like this.
  20. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The intake threw me... particularly the water tube going up from the back of the water pump to the front of the intake. I've never seen anything like that. And the whole thermostat housing area doesn't look like any SBC I've seen. Nor do the heads.
    I'm guessing that nice, shiny metal is unobtanium, not aluminum.
    So tell us some info on the engine. Heads, valve covers... The block stamping said "DZ" if I read that right.

-Brad

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. Lucky77

Lucky77

Here's my X1 that I got from fab32. I will be working on getting it running in my sedan over the winter. And yes I know the fuel lines are run incorrectly and have since been changed.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, Deuces and volvobrynk like this.
  22. Not rare but heres the one I had that the "polisher-97 rebuilder" told me was stolen from his shop. Found out later that a friend bought the Halibrand Champ QC he was also polishing for me that was also "stolen"

That was a quick 2K lost.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  23. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Smokey Yunick built them, for/with Chevrolet. They were called Porcupine heads, like a big block/Hemi head for the small block, I think. They is 1 set on a car, a 1969 Z28 I think, was told it is in Floyd Garretts museum. The only set I am aware of that they put in a car. I`m pretty sure they only made a few sets. Where did you get the engine? Did it come from Smokey`s auction.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    1Nimrod likes this.
  24. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Copied this from another site....

I believe that after Chevrolet enginer's Howell and Sperry got finished with extensive inside engine performance testing in 1968 that showed no major gains in engine performance that the 3 (not 6 or so) engineering test engines (#'s 70065-98 A,B&C) were sent to Smokey in early 1969 at his request to see if he could work more of his magic with them.
    Most of the additional castings and parts for these heads was sent to Smokey at this time also.
    Smokey refers to some of this developement and these heads in several of his articles and books.

Also this

True. Prototype heads for the SCCA Trans-Am competition. Never made production but a few sets are out there.

RARE indeed

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

speed gems 2x4. has speed gems logo between carbs looks like a snake coming out of a basket. one of or local gooroos told me at a swap meet he had only seen three in his life. and I had two of them. so I put one in my private stash any body know how rare they are thanks jim.

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

what water pump is that? pretty cool!

27. rusty bill

rusty bill

I have a Nicson 3x2 and a pair of Fenton sbc rocker arm covers!

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Probably not the choice of intakes for most traditional rods, but Holley only made a few hundred Pro Dominator intakes for SBC engines:
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  29. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

This sidedraft Weber manifold has to be among the rarest. It is not a Moon piece. The car is a rare Bizzarrini(only 100+ built). They were powered by a 327 Corvette SB, and this manifold was an option on that car. Only a handful of the manifolds were made. As witnessed by the corrosion that is beginning to show since it was last removed and cleaned, the manifold is magnesium. The top portion of the casting contains two geared-together linkage shafts. The geometry of the linkage typically used with the Moon manifolds causes an uneven opening of the carbs at low throttle openings. The more complicated linkage arrangement used on this manifold eliminates that shortcoming.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011