Register now to get rid of these ads!

55/56 OLDS. Custom Audio Sound?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smalltownspeed, Apr 21, 2009.

1. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Do any of yall have or have any pictures of a 56(or 56) oldsmobile dash running a custom audio sound radio in it? Ive got a dash, and Im thinking about buying the CAS radio, but Im not sure how it will look since I dont think it has the ribbed bezel like the stock one... And can you use the stock radio knobs? I figure if I dont like how it looks I can run a factory delete plate and just hide a radio somewhere.

And on another note, what are some good sources for reproduction parts for a 56 olds?

Thanks,
    Cory

2. There's a thread from a while back on hidden stereo. No modern radio will look good in that beautiful dashboard.

Fusick has a lot of stuff for Olds. The old guys at Danchuk are into Olds too. They know what tri-5 Chevy stuff works on your car. Hope that helps, man.

Don't screw that dash up!

3. Slick Steve

Slick Steve
    from Indy

4. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Thats what I was thinking. Ive seen them look decent in some more simple dashes(50 ford, older trucks), but havent seen them in anything like this.

Anybody have a 56 olds radio delete plate they want to sell? I dont want to leave the stock radio in my dash if Im not using it, plus with what Im swaping the dash into I doubt it will fit.

Thanks,
    Cory

5. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

Speaking from someone who regularly drives a 1955 Oldsmobile 98, you can't do anything to that dashboard. It would be a sin.

There was a thread about putting an iPod into your Rod, and it's really easy, I'm doing it to my shoebox right now, and I'm going to put it in the Oldsmobile as well. It's easy, and is a hell of a lot better than cutting up the dash or changing it.

6. don't buy that CAS crap. you'll regret you did. i've removed many of those cheap ass units!

if you wanna do the ipod/phone install, i can walk ya thru it. i'm gonna remove the faceplate and guts from my stock olds radio and just use it to fill the hole. may use the knobs for heater control. love that 56 olds dash!

[​IMG]

7. lownslow

lownslow

yup custom audio sound is shit ! . i wasted my money on them and they sucked huge . all the components literally fell apart . and their customer service was horrible . i say sing to yourself before wasting your hard earned dough on that junk !

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A good unit with a marine remote will sound better,I did not want to cut the dash in my 55 Ford so I bought a factory block off plate to mount the remote and mounted the radio under the seat on the drivers side so I can take the CDs in and out withount having to stop the car. I used a Pioneer radio with their better marine remote.

9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Yeah, I had one of their cassette players in my 60 Impala. It sounded pretty bad. Ended up buying a new Alpine in-dash unit and made a mounting plate to put it under the dash, like an old underdash slide mount style stereo.

10. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

I did put one in a 50 Ford convertable, and it did fit pretty well, even though it didnt sound very good, but I attribute that to the low quality speakers they sell.

Im considering taking a factory radio delete plate, and trimming it exactly to fit the CAS unit, and using the factory knobs so it will look close to factory, and I wont have that crappy looking plastic/chrome filler plate. I plan on driving this project a lot, so Id like to have a fully functional radio right where I can get to it, not hidden in the glove box or console or something like that.

Ive thought about the I-pod route, but Im just not quite sold on that yet(like CD's, and the ability to adjust fade/balance, plus highs and lows to get it all to sound right; cant do that just putting an I pod into an amp or can you?)

11. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Anybody with a pic of the CAS unit in a 55-56 olds dash? I still want to see one...

Although I did step up and buy a radio delete plate already.....

12. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I bentup an aluminum box and hung it inside the glovebox. Its easy to reach and totally out of sight. but you cant have my radio delete plate

13. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I also have a pretty goog pile of stuff

14. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Those worth a pretty penny? I know I paid out the... for mine...

15. hot74roadrunner

hot74roadrunner
    BANNED

i put a cd player under my front seat it works good