Register now to get rid of these ads!

454 worth It?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, May 15, 2009.

1. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

I have a chance to get a 454 out of what looks like an early 90's Suburban that was wrecked for cheap (like free probably). Having never messed around with Big Blocks, is this thing worth anything before I go through the effort of yanking it? The wreck was side impact towards the rear so the engine compartment is fine. The car has about 200,000 miles on it, I just want to know if this is a good starting point for an engine? Also, does anyone know what kind of tranny would be behind the 454? Thanks for your insight. . .

2. squirrel

squirrel

I'd snag it on general principles.

Pretty much any Chevy V8 trans will fit behind it. Not all of them will survive. If it's a 91-up truck it should have the L480E overdrive auto, if it's older the TH400 3 speed auto.

3. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

That is what I thought, but is this engine something that I would want to put in a 1959 wagon some day? or am I just going to be storing this thing because the price was right?

4. kgriff

kgriff
    from CA

Yep, snag it. I can't remember but it may have the small "peanut port" heads that aren't that great but heck the price is right.

5. squirrel

squirrel

It would work in a 59 wagon, and be fun to drive....not quite trad, but that wouldn't stop me.

6. Racewriter

Racewriter

It has the peanut port heads, and is probably very low compression (about 7.5:1). Still, the peanut ports will produce some fun torque, and better pistons aren't that expensive. Get it. Bump the compression to 9.5:1, cam it, and have a good time.

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

Might be a factory roller cam block and might have no place for a mechanical fuel pump?? If you have a few hundred bucks,buy it.

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

nice thing about 454s is that even stock - you've got all the torque you need. You'll not find a better price than FREE

dj

9. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Big Block Lots o torque and lots o potential........and did you say FREE????? What else you need to know!!!!!:cool:

10. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I would take anything for free...even an old junky chevy parts......

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

this one is a no-brainer...

get it. even if you DONT ever use it, its free, and free means bitchin swap fodder...

12. 91 Suburban would probably have a 700R4 with electric speedo drive, mine does, too early for a 4L80E but the other trans option was a TH400.

The motor itself will be a TBI, not huge power but probably not bad. They usually hold up pretty good even with the high milage, stay clean inside, and so on.

13. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Alright, I am convinced. I think I just needed some motivation to take the hoist out and go over there and pull it out! Who knows, if I have the engine maybe my wife will be convinced I need to get another car for it. . .

14. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

and if it has a 700R4 in it that thing is going in my wagon for sure.

15. griff321@comcast.net

[email protected]
    from IN.

200,000 on a big block, take a pass you, got deep pockets 2.50 a gallon for gas what would do with it. a 350 with a stoker kit from speedway would be faster and get better gas mileage in a rod

16. squirrel

squirrel

I thought the 4L80E was introduced in 91, behind big blocks....and the 700R4 wasn't used behind them was it?

17. aceuh

aceuh

Leave nothing behind!! So many times the accessories or what holds up big block swaps. The manifolds, all the brackets, motor mounts...take em with ya.

As previously stated, even if you don't use it you'll be able to trade it one day for something else that you want.

18. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Go for it and grab it

[​IMG]

19. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I'd grab it in a heart beat.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

As long as you have some place to store it, and some $ to go thru it and add some horsepower take it.

21. :D Naaaahhh.........this is for FUN - not a daily driver. Nothing against small blocks - but - the roar of a 454...oh yeah!!!!

22. 4kids1job

4kids1job
    from michigan

i just bought a 91 chevy truck with a stout 402 from a 70 camaro it has a 5 speed trans and a 3.55 posi i was told the heads where ported ane polished and a better cam but who knows. it may not be the fastest thing around but it does get 17 to 20 miles per gallon, and sounds awesome . big block yes!

23. phat rat

phat rat

It's a no brainer. Grab it. Everybody expects a small block not a big block. As far as gas mileage, I run a 425 hp 454 crate motor with 700R behind it in my 3700 lb cpe and have pulled as high as 19.6 mpg.

24. You're right, actually, if I would read my book. It was introduced this year for light trucks rated at or above 8600 lbs GVW. So it would depend what size Suburban this is. But I also believe the 454 wasn't available in the half-tons.

25. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I say go for it . Im finishing up one to go into my 53. Parts are easy to come by then you can have as much power as your pocket dictates. put it in the change as you go.

Attached Files:

26. grab it. Even if you don't use it, it's "horse-trading" material!

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

FREE is the KEY. Go here for serial # info and ID.
    http://www.mortec.com/