Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do i get rid of 1000 tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, May 14, 2009.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Trying to help a lady clean up a garage. There are literally close to 1000 tires in there and around the yard. They want $2 each to dispose of them. Any ideas on how I might be able to unload them for free without dumping them illegally? I really need to help her out here. Thanks

2. I am sure Al Gore need to buy some more "carbon credits", maybe he needs em?

3. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

sell my all the premiuim sportway 5.20s, ill personally drive to get em! ;0)

but other than that, idk of how to.. im SURE you could contact one of the companies that pays to pick up used tires from the shops, they recycle em and would maybe even pay you for em

4. DHI442

DHI442

are any of them any good at all?

5. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Surely your town has a used tire place, they're everywhere here.....it may be a pain, but if some of the tires are still usable, they'd take 'em. Maybe talk with 'em and see if they would send someone over to have a look?

7. 61TBird

61TBird

This is ONLY for humor....
    [​IMG]

Are there ANY companies that are willing to take them?
    Advertise on Craigslist under "Free" in the For Sale section,you never know what someone is going to haul off because it's Free.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. 416Ford

416Ford

As touchdown said the local shop may buy them if they are great shape or take them if they are in good shape. I had to hire a company to come in and take all of our old ones when I had the salvage yard. Your state may use them for ashphalt and have a drop off site. Michigan did not so I paid a company in Indiana to come and get them. Lots of EPA crap involved when it is a company.

9. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

At our shops we pay around $1.50 - $2.00 each to get rid of them. If there was a cheaper way to do it I'm sure the shop owner would have found it.
    I haven't seen anyone offering to pay us for our used tires.

In Minneapolis where I live the city has vouchers for getting rid of certain items every year. I think I personally can get rid of up to 8 tires a year. So...with the 1000 tires you need to get rid of you just need to find 125 neighbors willing to each bring 8 down.:D That's provided your city offers something like that.

Jay

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Build your own go-cart track.......ya I've got a one track mind lately :D

11. synthsis

synthsis

they can shred them down and turn them into an all purpose playground material and a safe running track for track&field. Try doing a search and see if the companies are looking for materials.

12. I gotta ask, what the hell is she doing with 1000 tires??????

13. Lately ?

CBB

14. silent rick

silent rick

go-kart tracks wouldn't need them if it weren't for them women drivers:)

15. jonny o

jonny o

Maybe the lady knows why they were saved? Maybe another house member knew of someone who would buy them?

16. jonny o

jonny o

17. traditionalrod

traditionalrod
    from Canton SD

You could make a lot of "no hunting" signs for farms fields!

But seriously you should go talk to tire stores and see what they do with used tires. They might know a service that is cheaper than bring them to the local dump.

18. Somebody out there is grinding tires up and making playground mats. They might take them. Search internet.

Charlie Stephens

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

there is a guy locally that makes industrial floor mats out of them, will pick them up, see if someone in your area does it.

20. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Believe it or not, my millionaire in-laws spent a pile of cash on mulch made from recycled tires. Do a search and check it out.

21. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

EVERY place I know of makes you pay. Hell, you can't even get free AIR in your tires nowdays...

22. Earthship.
    Somebody up there must be building one.

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Nevada Cement was burning them in it's klin for fuel. But that's in Fernly Nv. There is shipping to consider and there is sure no shortage of junk tires. i think she will have to pay to dump them.

24. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

He's right !
    They grind them up into mulch and works real well . Water goes trough and weeds don't come up !
    If not stick one out for the trash guy once a week . That's how I do it !

25. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you get caught dumping tires illegally, the ONLY way you can DUMP tires, you will regret it! Each tire is a violation, not just the act, kinda like ATF and automatic weapons!

Good luck on finding someone to take them for free. If there was such a thing they would certainly make YOU haul them to them for free too! Tires are a real bear to get rid of, and nasty too.

The tire recycling business has not been able to dream yet about catching up with the number of tires that have been piling up in this country, Canada, and Mexico over the last 100+ years. Add that old stock to the zillions being discarded every year NOW and what a problem we have to resolve.

26. 4rod

4rod

build a tire house with them...
    [​IMG]

27. farmboat

farmboat
    from Lucas, KY

Big go-kart track.

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

We are talking go-carting though, not.......;)

Sounds to me like we may need to find a local track during the HCPU this year and just see about that.:p

29. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

having run a DEP tire facility i can tell you the only ones that will take or pay for tires are the used tire shops. even if you take them to a shredder you must pay $125 - $200 or more a ton, they get paid at both ends!!! hopefully there in good shape and usable sizes. the used tire guys should take them. and if there really decent you should get $2-$5 apiece. might be able to make enough to dispose of the rest.