Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 35 - 36 Ford Pickup Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andrewvolsen, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I see. Just curious.

2. 28rp

28rp

Here's mine- based on fifteen years of scrounging-'36 Australian cab-note the different roof line and inner door frames to the U.S cabs. I,m gonna convert it to 1935 config.,when I replace the rusty cowl vent using 35 pieces from a wreck. Also got lotsa wood to replace with steel!!
    So far-,54 8BA motor, 71 Ford Toploader with Jeep shifter and a Torrance City Halibrand,41 Brakes.
    Front sheetmetal is my spare set-the originals are at the body shop.

Attached Files:

3. Your right Jeem, pic was taken at LARS, I fell in love with this truck when I saw a black and white pic in American Rodder in 1998. It was the one thing I wanted to see on my first trip to America, but I thought it would be next to impossible. So the first weekend in America I spotted it in the pits at the Antique Nationals as we were driving in, so I made a bee line for it as soon as I get out of the car only to see it leaving through the other gate, man I was devistated.
    Two weeks later we got a site at LARS and go off searching for bargains only to return and see it parked right behind our site, couldn't wipe the smile off my face for weeks.
    Sad thing is I lost most of my pics when I had a computer crash not long after I got home from that trip.....:mad:

4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

That is going to be a really nice pickup!! ....old QC too, that's cool! I'm not seeing the differences though in the cab, then again, I only have one cup of coffee in me.

Bummer!

5. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

By far the best. My Rodders Journal issue with this truck is worn out from re-reading the feature!!

6. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

This is your build, Jeem? Nice start. '35 is my fav Ford PU. They run around Ford's Greenfield Village in a couple of nicely faded '35's as maintenance vehicles. Since you didn't ask - try to go with the '35 grill, shell and hood. Looks better with the thinner shell line, IMO. Keep us posted on progress.

Hey nice mention in the HR&Resto piece on Pinkee's too.

7. 36tbird

36tbird

It ain't that ez just to swap out the grille shell. I found out the hard way that the radiators are different because of the different shell depths.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

The 35-36 radiator are the same, the 37 grill is totally different and the hoods won't interchange between 35-37.

9. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

I love 35's wish I had a fendered 35. When I bought this truck I thought 35-36 were the same. So I sold off all the 36 stuff no one wanted the cab. So now I have a 35-6 Jalopy

Attached Files:

chickenshift likes this.
  10. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Langan
    Really dig the chop on your truck do have pics on how it was done, also I like the grill, same question. It's a good looking truck I am trying imagine putting fenders on it.

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks, it's coming along SLOWLY.... I'm using the '37 shell I have that was turned into a somewhat Anglia-esque deal with two long, tall nostrils. Picking up a hood in Pomona come Father's Day. Gotta build a floor for it next, then all the sheet metal can come off and the chassis blown apart for paint, then........

Of the 35-6 and 7, I like 'em all. Two gripes(?), thick shell on the '36 and the long bed on the '37. These trucks are the first commercial vehicles from Ford that got some real style thrown into the mix.
    Heck, I like ALL Ford pickups 'til about '85.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Jeem, you should post up pics of your bare chassis....make that your trucks bare chassis.

13. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

You lost me Root (that's not hard to do).

14. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Hmmm Root I tend to dissagree that 35-36 pu radiators are the same. 28rp might chime in here as were have been down this road! Even the side brackets are different. They are only subtle differences that you see when you have them side by side!:)

15. rainman1958

rainman1958

Put me down for no fenders on anything. Especially trucks.

16. mow too much

mow too much

Yes, the brackets are diferent on the 35 from the 36.

17. mow too much

mow too much

Jeem, I think Root was saying he didn't want you posting bare pictures of yourself. :D

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Ah ha, yeah, I get it now....

These pics represent a year or so of little progress. As of right now, I need to fab a floor, but the chassis is ready except for the motor mounts which just need a little trimming before they are tacked in. Sheetmetal comes off after floor and the chassis will be broken down, again, cleaned, painted and then I get to reassemble it, that'll be GREAT.

19. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Ah ha, yeah, I get it now....

These pics represent a year or so of little progress. As of right now, I need to fab a floor is built, but the chassis is ready except for the motor mounts which just need a little trimming before they are tacked in. Sheetmetal comes off after floor and the chassis will be broken down, again, cleaned, painted and then I get to reassemble it, that'll be GREAT.

Attached Files:

20. mow too much

mow too much

A long way to go.

Attached Files:

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

....and as it sits in my garage now.....

Attached Files:

22. I think you have that stance nailed.....I love those front wheels tucked up under the front fenders.

23. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

JEEM Yes the stance is Great. What about taking out about 6-8" in front of rear tire? Always thought it really helps the proportions. Spell check would help me.....Jim

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was told that the radiator was the same part number, maybe not. I have never actually had a 35 radiator to compare it.

25. Here is a pic of my sons '35 Ford pickup: