Register now to get rid of these ads!

Very superstitious

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, May 13, 2009.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Gary, so eating women in the pits is bad luck, eh?

I painted my 1976 AMF Harley Davidson FLH a nice shade of green. The combination of an AMF-built shovelhead and the green paint should have killed me a hundred times. I rode it over 20,000 miles with no bad luck at all, actually had some good luck with it a time or two, iff'n ya know what I mean......

2. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Racers believe green is unlucky and so do some artists.
    Green is considered by some to be the next primary (red,yellow,blue) color.
    Salvador Dali was deathly afraid of green and he was a nut?

Wasn't there a Corvette fueler that was painted green and ultra unlucky? Can't remember who it was,but read about it somewheres...

3. RichG

RichG

You've seen a Dali painting, and you still have to ask if he was nuts?:p

(he's one of my favorite painters, right up there with Jackson)

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

yeah, there was a bit of superstition with green in the circle tracks of the north east. never held any stock in any of it. the only thing green meant to me was GO!

5. budhaboy

budhaboy

no, Red, Blue and YELLOW are primary colors, Green is a secondary color(blue and yellow make green)

6. it may have already been said since i didnt read the whole post, but its funny how green has always been bad luck in racing yet john force and steve kinser both drive green race cars. my family has been involved with sprint car racing for years and they freak out over green and peanuts too. never understood it myself.

7. Never drive a car under a ladder.

8. Abomb

Abomb

Bullshit....they cancel each other out. No bad luck involved...................I swear to God that's what one of the guys who raced motocross with me swore too, anyway. We raced for Team Green (Kawasaki), so obviously we were required to race a green bike.

My car is half green........I'm not terribly superstitious, but I don't go looking for ladders to walk under either.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's always been a family thing with us... No way in hell I would drive a green race car, but I had a british racing green Corvette. In that car, I got arrested for being clocked at 140 mph on loop 250 in Midland, TX. I decided that was it for me and green...

Of course, traditionally... Corvettes are known to be bad luck for many pro drivers. I've had two Corvette race cars and had most of my success in them... We always got comments though from old guys. A corvette that doesn't kill?

Jim Hall... He once said that if you ever wanted to commit suicide, you could race a green Cheetah. "No one could survive those odds," he said.

BUT, where did all of this come from? It started pre-war... It seemed as if all DNFs were green cars and people started to take notice. Then, there was a string of deaths that all involved green cars. Before long, green was a no-no.

Tempting fate, Jimmy Clark showed up to Indy in a green car in the early 60's. It was the first predominately green car entered at Indy since the early 50's. Jimmy beat the curse and did quite well for a number of years while sporting green.

And then...

Jimmy Clark hit the wall in Germany (1968 or 69) while driving a green Lotus. He died instantly.

[​IMG]

10. brownington_bomber

brownington_bomber

My car must be pissed going from black to green.... how does one properly appologize to a hunk of steel?

11. Abomb

Abomb

You do it while block sanding gently, most cars love that.

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dead baby's smoking virginia slims are bad luck too.

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Funny how these things change regionally.

In the UK, its good luck if a black cat crosses your path (according to my Mom, whose British).

I'm not real superstitous, but I won't walk under a ladder (It means I have to work on the roof)
    and a broken mirror means 7 minutes of cleaning up glass.

14. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Ok, so what's the winning-est color in racing...

Red? Ferrari, etc...
    Silver? Porsche, Audi, Auto Union, Mercedes, etc, etc,...
    White? Just about everyone at one time or another... Or does white count? Since most white cars have some other color promonantly on them.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what if you painted your car in that flip flop paint where it is green from some angles and gold from another? then depending on where the sun was your car would be going back an forth between good luck and bad luck. I would try for good luck at the end of the track where speeds are higher.

just to be safe I will paint all my cars black.

16. I am really confused. So when a car that is green crashes, it is because it is green. When a car that isn't green crashes, it is because of other factors?

17. bossmanshags

bossmanshags

You would be confused.

18. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

right you are

19. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

just to be safe I will paint all my cars black.[/QUOTE]

Sorry You can't paint it black cause that's not a color and the Government is outlawing Black Paint

20. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  21. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Actually, the car Jim Clark was driving at Hockenheim when he was killed was a Formula 2 Lotus painted in Gold Leaf Team colors of red, white and gold. So in this case it was unlucky to not drive a green car.

Kurt O.

22. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I'd like to have seen him create hot rod paintings? The slicks melting like clocks...Hey,he was a Surrealist!
    When you see his Last Supper painting at the National Gallery,you'll know he was an excellent actor.
    Read more about color theory...green's gaining on red,yellow and blue.

To keep this hot rod related,I prefer dark colors aside from green on my vehicles.
    Back to the thread...

23. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I've also heard that fat girls wear a lot of purple colored clothing.

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And don't forget all of the "Green Monsters" that Art Arfons crashed. Survived every one, and died at home, at the age of 81. But in the grand scheme of things, he probably had more good luck than bad with them. One pic attached.....

Attached Files:

25. SpeedwayRyan

SpeedwayRyan

Depends on what system you're talking about...

In additive color only, like your TV and computer monitor, yeah, red, green, and blue are primary. 100% of R+G+B=White, and mixing the colors of light in lesser quantities gives you all the colors your tv/monitor can display.

In subtractive color, like with paint, ink/printing, etc., red, yellow, and blue are primary, they make up the primary triad on the color wheels you see in art class. 100% of red, yellow, and blue make black (in theory anyway...it really ends up brown in reality because the colors aren't always dense enough), so it's totally different than additive color since you're mixing pigments instead of overlapping light.

In commercial printing, the colors shift slightly to cyan, magenta, and yellow (with the addition of black, this becomes the standard 4-color printing color model, CMYK.)

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yes.

Colin Chapman was the first Team Owner to drop the National Racing Colors for Sponsorship Colors.
    And when a Driver from another Team told Jim Clark that he thought it looked ugly, Jim replied Don't worry, it still looks the same if you drive behind it...

Pic of the F2 car that killed Jim Clark.

clark_hock_Lotus48.jpg

Jack Brabham's Cooper was Green too.
    ( I think that was the first mid engined Brit car to try Indy.)

255px-Cooper_indy_1961.jpg

View 18.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and very successfully at that. considering that the Cooper was a 1.5 litre or 2 litre car, when the contemporary indy roadsters will still pushing 300 cu in+

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

Bored out to 2.6 or 2.7, if I remember correctly.

But yes... way under the limit.

The Indy organisers did give special permission to let the car run.

It was slightly lengthened from the regular F1 Wheelbase, but still a lot shorter than the minimum Wheelbase that the Roadsters had to be.

29. gotra66

gotra66

I hope you threw some salt over your shoulder!

30. gotra66

gotra66

I hope you threw some salt over your shoulder!