Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lusted after nailhead bought. Now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seesko, May 9, 2009.

1. :confused: What ever shall I do?:rolleyes:

2. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I like cheese.

3. afan

afan
    from michigan

how big is the nailhead ? you don't give much to work with.how big is your wallet?

4. 401 4barrel, 1963. Wallet? not huge. I'm planning on a model A RPU. 4 speed. Ford toploader.
    I have a vision. I'm just tickled to have the engine:)

5. Pepper jack would be tasty:D

6. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Cool engine.Sounds like you have a plan?
    Baby swiss or muenster cheese man here.

7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Does the engine run? If so, since you're planning on a 4 speed, finding the stick bellhousing, flywheel, and related parts would be a good place to start. If it isn't running, make sure that it is rebuildable first, and then start looking for parts.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Bellhousing and such are cake, they're readily available in the aftermarket.
    I prefer http://www.transmissionadapters.com/ bellhousing setup.

9. quadcamiron

quadcamiron

Ive got a 322 nailhead that im going through the same thing with. Its down at the machine shop getting checked out as we speak. I'd be interested to see how you mate the 4 speed up to it....Provolone.

10. quadcamiron

quadcamiron

Guess I should have check out the link huh!?

11. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  12. Nothing better than a Nailhead......................Keep searching and you should find everything you need.
    I just picked up a Buick GS bellhousing and flywheel on eBay, I believe I got a good deal.

13. belair

belair

I have had a 322 tri-deuce with the good 3 speed and bellhousing for 3 years. Still looking for that Model A.

14. It's pretty complete. The whole shooting match right down to the carb and tranny. A Hydro Flow. It's all there. It was running, according to the guy I bought it from. The transmission locked up. It has 82,000 miles on it. I have a ways to go with it but it'll all be a learning experience. I don't think it'll take much to get it running. I've been intrigued with the idea of running a nail head for a long time. I never really thought it would happen, at least so soon. :eek:The HAMB has definitley been a help and influence there. ;)
    I want to build the frame from scratch. I've got some ideas I want to try. Of course seeing the great RPU build treads on here is really motivating. There's some great looking machines taking shape by some very talented guys. :)

15. striper

striper

16. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Yeah, it is a little confusing. The 400/430/455 series big block was produced starting in 1967. It was the nailhead through 1966 and the Lakewood literature shows fitment of the 14120 for Buicks beginning in 1965, which would have been a nailhead. Very confusing. I suspect a phone call to Lakewood would be in order if a guy wanted to do this at all.

As far as the starter, it can be anywhere you want to put it. Moving it to the passenger side would make sense to those of us who drive from the left side of the car and would like to make room for clutch linkage. For you Aussie types, it would obviously be more convenient space-wise to put the starter on the left side to make room for the clutch linkage and all on the right side.

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I picked up a good running 401 hailhead about a year ago. Hid it back in the sh0p with plans on finding something to put it in. I ran across a '50 Chevy sedan delivery a few months ago. I know a Nailhead screams to be out in the open where everyone can see it but this sedan delivery starting drooling when I pushed it into the shop and it saw the nailhead back in the corner. It was love at first sight. Nailhead slid in the '50 with nary a whimper. Now I'll just have to open the hood to show it off.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Pull the pan & check bearings for clearance & acid etch. Make sure the oil pump & pickup aren't falling off.

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And I MEAN SWEET!

21. skwurl

skwurl

I drive my nailhead evey day. I like whippin up pn ricers in a 5000 puond car

22. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

My nail head is backed with a T-5, This will be summer number 4 for shows a cruising.... trouble free!

23. ilikeflatblack

ilikeflatblack
    from HASLET, TX

get out a check book i have 7000 grand in this one. the only thing orig is bare heads,turned crank, 30 over block. but it will be bad ass

[​IMG]

24. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

You're gonna love it...... put a Nail between the rails !!:)

25. Thanks for all the poitive feedback gang. I'm pretty hyped about the whole thing.
    Need to start putting together a frame to put it in. I'm very seriously thinking about finding just a model A cowl and building a body from wood. Something open. The bed might be metal or wood.

26. This might help!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365780

27. 29tudor

29tudor

you can find stock bellhousing off mid 60's nailheads that allow you to mount a top loader or a 4 speed, but there next to impossible to find. vintage aftermarket cast aluminum bellhousings pop up on ebay once and a while if thats what youre into. otherwise eelco makes a pretty good one off the shelf for around $325.

28. 40series

40series
    from USA

Pretty! Got more pics??

29. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I have a 401, 322, and 264...damn tractor motors. I love the low end torque, the 264 has a T-5 and is geared 300 with a 28 inch tire, she'll pull 5th gear at 30 MPH then pull on up to 70 or 80.

30. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Me Havum 364 Nailhead.Appreciate this info!