Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for any mags/pictures/items that feature my dad, Herb McCandless

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McCandlessboy, May 13, 2009.

1. McCandlessboy

McCandlessboy

Hello everybody. I was introduced to this site from another member who I just recently bought some old englishtown magazines from. I'm Mike McCandless (3 of 3) who is lucky to call Herb McCandless his father. I'm always on the lookout for rare photos that we don't currently have. We've spent years making everything digital and by end of year hope to have everything up we've got. We have Jake Kings entire scrapbook scanned and most of my mom's books on my dad.

If anyone has random pictures they took or anything with my father, I'd be very interested in purchasing. I look forward to reading through the site, I've seen a ton of cool stuff already!

Thanks,

Mike McCandless

2. vertible59

vertible59

Used to see you guys run a Barracuda at Piedmont Dragway back in the 80s. I have a pic. of your pop driving his beautiful early 50s Plymouth convertible. If I can find it in all my mess, it is yours.

3. Man, I just did a search on your father....tons of pics on the net......You should have no problem finding pics! Very cool dad by the way....I remember taking pics of your fathers cars over the years....I will look through my archives....you must be very proud....chip off the old block I hope?<table id="post1070958" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" width="175">

</td> <td class="alt1" id="td_post_1070958"> <!-- message --> Yeah, Herb is my dad. His 72 car pictured in the flyer above will be there. Todd finished restoring it a few weeks ago.

Mom/Dad/Myself at the All Hemi Reunion a few weeks ago:

[​IMG]
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

4. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

"I was introduced to this site from another member who I just recently bought some old englishtown magazines from."

Gee...I wonder who that is? :D

[​IMG]

Glad to see you here, Mike. Make sure you tell Mr. 4 Speed about this place too!

Pete

Last edited: May 13, 2009

5. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

8. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

9. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

11. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

12. jangleguy

jangleguy

Royalty in the house! Welcome. I'd sure love to get a peek at Jake King's scrap book - he kept all of his tune-ups in there, right?

13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

Hey, where was Herb? :)

14. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

Mike, Welcome aboard. I have had the pleasure of meeting your dad a few times through the years. I am looking foward to seeing all the pictures that you plan on posting and reliving so many memories.

15. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

Pete, When Mike said he bought some old Englishtown memerobilia, I knew it had to come from you.

16. McCandlessboy

McCandlessboy

Appreciate some of the picturse guys! Mom did a great job of keeping stuff dad was in, but they didn't meet/marry till 1966. I'm trying really hard to find anything with his 65 car. To me, this is one of my favorite cars. It's the car, in my opinion, that made dad who he was. It's what allowed him to take those steps towards the eventual S&M ride.

Dad is NOT an internet person. He doesn't know how to cut on a computer. Mom deals with all of that. Dad is still very active and is constantly working on something. He just finished up a 61 300-G that he put a 5.7 hemi in it. In typical dad fashion, he finished it on a thursday, drove around the back, went to bed, woke up and drove 800 miles round trip the following 2 days to go to a mopar show. The man is crazy!

For those that wonder if dad still does any race car stuff. He just did a cage in my 67 coronet stocker station wagon. He also tied the frame, built the dana, did the front brakes, aligned the front end and countless other things. I run in division 9 in IHRA. We just purchased a 70 challenger that he'll build into an NHRA/IHRA stocker from the ground up. At 65 I have by far the coolest dad on earth. He's grandson was IHRA champ in the JR dragster class last year and has won 2 out of 3 races this year. At 9 years old he has 5 or 6 ironman's already. The goal next year is for us to have 3 cars finished up and make a hard run at both an NHRA and IHRA world championship. My brother and I owned a race track up until last year, Piedmont Dragway, down here in NC. After 18 months, we realized we enjoy racing a lot more.

I'll show mom this thread and see if I can get dad to post. Meaning, have mom ask dad what to put up haha.

17. Mike,
    Call Larry Pontnack at Mo-Par City in Illinois. I used to work for Larry selling used & reproduction parts back in the early 90's while he and his son ran the engine & chassis work out in the shop. Larry used to carry on and tell stories on the phone with your Dad from time to time, and he was also a pack rat worse than me! He showed me some photos and paper that I had NEVER seen before, and I'm pretty sure that he still has some stuff that he could send you. 815-732-7751 or 1-800-426-HEMI.

18. Will you and your dad be at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green? I'd like to see him again.

19. McCandlessboy

McCandlessboy

Dad has a heavy travel schedule this year. Mom keeps up with all of that stuff. I know they are doing the hotrod power tour in the 300. I was going to try and do it in the turbo car, but can't due to new business ventures. I'll ask mom to find out!

20. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  21. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Speaking of Ronnie Sox, check out this pass!

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  22. oohheck

oohheck

Hi Mike, sorry don't have any pictures but have a question about a 69 1/2 Superbee
    I own. I bought it back in the 90's and was told that your father was a previous owner of this car. It really excited me so much that it was previously owned by Herb McCandless but never really knew for sure if it was for real. If you could confirm that
    he possible owned this car it would be very much appreciated. If you need additional info please let me know.

thanks,
    Barry

23. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

24. Your Pops is a great guy. I think this group would enjoy pics of the Imperial he used to take on Power Tour and the new 300. Please post some.

25. Old Gearhead

Old Gearhead

I well remember seeing Herb drive his '65 A990 car at Lakeland Drag Strip near Memphis, TN. He was one heck of a driver and shifter! I never saw anyone any better with a 4-speed. He certainly earned the title "Mr. 4-Speed". When we knew Herb was going to be racing my buddies and I would be sure to go. If I had been into photography back in the day I'd have some great photos. But I do have the memories. :)

This photo was on another discussion thread. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  26. Old Gearhead

Old Gearhead

27. McCandlessboy

McCandlessboy

I'll be honest, guys I forgot about the site. My companies have had some great growth and I've been buried in work. Dad is currently on a 3 month trip across the country. He's always doing something crazy. I really appreciate the link and some of these pictures. I'm sending the link to dad so mom can show it to him while they're on the trip!

28. Old Gearhead

Old Gearhead

Cool! I seem to remember the A990 '65 Plymouth winding up in A/FX eventually. I'm thinking it had Hillborn injectors and altered wheelbase. I'd love to see any pics of that. ;)

29. Topper72

Topper72
    from Norfolk

Mike,

Looking for info/pics on the Superbird your dad drove with Sox and Martin. If you've got a serial number, vin, or know who the team sold it to, please let me know. It was later campaigned as the SuperChicken (pic below). I'd like to put together a paper for class - the effect the 2 winged cars had on dragracing.

Attached Files:

30. Deuces

Deuces

I may have a better picture of this car... I gotta do some digging.. :(