Register now to get rid of these ads!

Very superstitious

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, May 13, 2009.

1. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Ive heard that green is an unlucky color in the car world, some people would even go as far as to never step foot into a green carbecause of it. What other kind of superstitions do people have that have to do with cars?

2. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

New to me I have heard this about bikers green being bad luck never cars

3. I've heard it's bad luck to get in a car with a woman driving.

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Its bad luck to have superstitions

5. I've only heard it applied to drag racers. When Eric Medlen died, I remember lots of chatter that the green goblin's have struck again.

6. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Its also bad luck to rig a steering shaft made from 3/4" pipe fittings!

7. RichG

RichG

I sneezed in a car once and left something green on the windshield...

8. roddinron

roddinron

The aversion to the pastoral hue is well established in the racing world. There, the sensitivity to the color's presumed darker aspects is so strong that Mario Andretti never signs autographs with green ink, and it is said Joe Weatherly (NASCAR's 1962 and 1963 champion) once removed his socks for a race because rain had changed their color from blue to green.

While it is true some drivers have won races in green automobiles, cars of that complexion are rarely to be found at racetracks because they are regarded as unlucky. The prejudice against them dates to the earliest days of motor racing, fed (if not begun) by some especially memorable racing fatalities brought about by green racing machines.

On 17 September 1911, one of the worst auto racing accidents in history occurred at Syracuse, New York, when 11 fans were killed and 10 others injured by Lee Oldfield's Knox racer, a green car that blew a tire during the race, careened into the infield, and plowed through a snow fence into a group of spectators. (The driver, thrown from the car, received minor injuries.)

On 25 November 1920, Gaston Chevrolet, lost his life when his green Frontenac crashed at the Beverly Hills Board Track into the Duesenberg driven by Eddie O'Donnell. (O'Donnell and Lyall Jolls, his riding mechanic, also lost their lives in that accident.) Scant months earlier, Chevrolet had won the Indianapolis 500 in that very car.

Well-entrenched centuries-old superstition about green being an ill-favored color has likely combined with memory of those two high-profile fatal crashes to help foster the belief that green cars and auto racing should not mix.

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Like this one? Better avoid those quick left turns!
    [​IMG]

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

^^what dumbass would risk their lives with 1/2"? I never use anything less than 3/4", and please, use some f'n pipe dope to keep the shit from leaking. Jeezzuss! What freak'n morons.

Nice bare brake lines right up next to the exhaust manifolds too. That's a good one.

You get a lot more bad luck being an idiot than being superstitious.

11. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

green is a no no in a race, a DD is ok to be green.

think about all the winning kyle petty did in the green mello yellow car oh wait nevermind..

12. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

You always spit out the window when a black cat crosses the road. As for the green, yep. There are very few green dirt track cars arround here. I have never had a speck of green on me or my car. Also peanuts are bad luck too.

13. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Ya, so I guess all of those green Jaguars, Aston Martins, Lotus', Coopers, Brabhams, MGs, Triumphs, etc. That raced and won at places like Lemans, Indianapolis, Daytona, Sebring, Silverstone, Monaco and the Nurburgring were just rare flukes.

14. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Yeah, British Racing Green is so unlucky...

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Superstition comes from a lack of education and understanding.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Green was considered unlucky in America for race cars, but mostly in the traditional forms, like ovals (as were eating peanuts and even women in the pits). Sports car types never paid much attention. The rest of the world didn't give a shit. In this day and age, does anyone still care? What do you do when 7 UP wants to sponsor you? Say no? Fuck, ask Steve Kinser what he thinks about green. Gary

17. Brian C

Brian C

I have no superstitions....................Knock on wood! :D

18. Scary shit right there! There's another thread about this sort of thing. Kermit the Frog said "it's not easy being green".:D
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

19. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Another green topic...

I say superstitious people cause bad luck ;)

20. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Green #13 race car=death..............Rich

21. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Don't tell the Britts that they have been racing British Racing Green cars for years and seem to have no problems. My Austin Healey race car was Porsche Shamrock green and never had any problems.
    The only car I crashed in 40 years of road racing was my blue and purple formula ford, I should have stayed with the teams blue and orange colors.

22. striper

striper

ergo, this guy was very superstitious

The thing that concerns me more about this set up than the pipe fittings is the misalignment of the lower socket fitting and what may well be (with close inspection) a chunk of wood wedged into it to take up the slack. Maybe the wood has some give so it can work as a kind of "olskool" uni joint.

Anyway, my car is green and my childhood racing hero was Graham McCubbin ('72 Australian Sprint car champion) and when he wasn't running #1 or #2 he ran #13.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  23. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Poor ol' green,the secondary primary color...

24. striper

striper

???????:confused:

25. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

The problem with this is that that thing is going to leak when he poors power steering fluid through the set screws, He needs to put some teflon tape on those threads, but I don't see any green so I am sure it's fine.

26. mottsrods

mottsrods

I never heard about the green thing...i've got a green Model A Tudor, my only real superstition is licking my finger and holding it into the air anytime I cross a continental divide. It always makes me safe!!

27. And, there's no such thing as re-sale green. I've owned 3 green cars out of nearly 300 and had a hard time selling each one.

28. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Yea, because this guy has NEVER won a race . . . silly green cars.
    [​IMG]

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

In my better days, I raced with Ralph Firman. He was a really talented driver from Ireland. In and around 1999 or so, he was running Formula 3 trying to prep himself for a seat with a F1 team. The first race of the year, his owners thought it would be cute to paint his car green for Saint P's day.

Ralph refused to drive the car and his team (I believe it was Jordan) spent the night before the race rattle canning his car yellow... and then applying his sponsor's decals.

He spun on the first lap, took 6 other cars out (including me) and did not finish the race.

30. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Have heard of it but only in Gran Prix cars

Red,Green and Blue are primary colors