Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "may banger may not" may's monthly meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sko_ford, May 1, 2009.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I'd say there's a few guys here who'd like one of those valve covers ;)

2. I dig it. Sounds great Chris! :)

To take a quick poll; Im running dual carbs on my car, but sporting the stock exhaust manifold. I havent been too fond of the looks for the aftermarket banger header so I opted to the stock exh manifold. Im I going in the wrong direction or are headers a must? Any other ideas?

I have considered fabricating a lake header or even the idea you just came up with for your roadster.

Back to the stock exh. manifold; am I choking my motor with the stock ehaust? Im running a healthy cam, C head, dual 97's on a Zephr manifold.

Attached Files:

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here is a header from 1939 issue of Ray Kuns Automobile Racing.

Attached Files:

4. The stock muffler is rather restrictive. I think the exhaust manifold works okay especially with the Aries muffler which has larger tubes in it and was/is dyno tuned but is "pricey". A straight pipe would help. I think it is similar to a Volkswagen as the restrictive exhaust limits the RPM and torque. I have a header similar to the one in the photo laying around somewhere if you like the original look. I would swap it for something.

5. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Chris,

Nice, I wish I could see the video here at work, DAMN.

BTW Happy Birthday too. And thanks for the junkyard tips,
    I didn't find any A or Ford banger parts, but I got some stuff
    to do a juice brake conv. when the time comes.

Jeff

6. Doug,

Nice find! Could you share a few pics as the axle "comes apart"? It would be great to see where the modifications were made- did they use T bushings or modify Chevrolet, etc.

7. Actually the one I have is a little different. I have an extra 36 drive shaft laying around somewhere.

Attached Files:

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

stock T bushings press right in. ream to perfection.

9. Bob (the37kid),

Please for give my momentary lapse of reason there... I DO remember your correct name...:rolleyes::D

And FB- thanks for the info- I should've tried it already (duh).

10. MrModelT

MrModelT

Chris,

I did the same thing on my '26 T. I originally had a glasspack on it but it was too quiet....So I agree, they sound weird without a decent "Bark" :)

Attached Files:

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

sweet ride (MR. T)

12. That is one of the most bitchin T's I have ever seen!! Got anymore pics???

13. MrModelT....awesome looking roadster. You have to post more picts :)

14. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

15. I put 2 18" glass packs on my PRU doesn't sound too bad but doesn't sound like an "A". It has 8.5 to 1 compression and 20 lb. flywheel and a JB Winfield SUIA cam. On my Lakes Modified I have a 36 drive shaft cut in half and they are connected to a 4 into 2 header.

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

Chris, chopped50ford, BCCHOPIT,

Thanks for the compliments! I put up some new photos and a few updates for you guys too.

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

18. Great videos. That car screams "depression" era. I love it!

19. andyg

andyg

That IS one cool T....Fantastic! I bet it fun to drive! Greaaat lookin' ride! Sounds oh so good too!

20. andyg

andyg

Here's a little tech for you generator runners! I learned a lot about generators yesterday. I'll cut through the chase and make it a simple read.

End Result-

21. Sorry about your MIL. Is that the JEEP dizzy you're running? If so, how's it doing?

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks to all!

That is exactly the look I was going for: 1930 to '33 early dry lakes "Gow Job". I was heavily influanced by the "Multy" Aldrich and R.Hodge Ts, so I based my roadster on both. It is a blast to drive. I eventually plan to refine her with all the correct period speed goodies as someone my age in 1932 or so would have done.

23. Wildfire

Wildfire

First a new Brookville RPU tub and bed. The "phaeton" tub I've been working on still needs a lot of work and I want to drive it this summer. So I picked this up - may sell it in the future, may just build another car....

Next up is the new header - straight from Salt Flat Matt at Geardrive.com. Great price and it fits perfect. I did the measuring and figuring, he did the hard part. It was mounted up within 10 minutes of me getting home tonight!

Attached Files:

24. that's it? :)

25. Elrod

Elrod

Got to spend a little time with the 1930 cabriolet last night. It's been dead for a couple years now, started having parts borrowed off the engine, went through a move and basically has been sitting patiently in the corner.

About a year ago, after spending all day rebuilding the carb, leakless water pump, adjusting brakes to get it on the road, I went to turn it over and heard a POP inside the engine. I found that my distributor had rusted solid and wasn't in the mood for getting the spins. I threw in the towel, shut the door on it, and kept working on the coupe.

Last night decided to open up the engine and found that the distributor drive off the oil pump had sheered the roll pin through it. It also had a lot of wear on the drive teeth. Had another drive gear, made another roll pin from a nail that fit perfectly, and put the valve cover back on. Got another distributor and converted it to electronic ignition, stabbed it, set the timing and hopped in. The old girl jumped to life on the first crank! A few more things to button up, but hoping to drive it to a Model A meeting this Sunday!

Just happy to hear that little banger purr again!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. shock

shock

Just an update post....new tires, and playin with the duel updrafts before swappin in the fresh longblock..........man is this ever fun !!!!
    [​IMG]

27. Piewagn

Piewagn

Here's where I am so far. I should be on all fours next week.

Attached Files:

28. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Yep, That' s themodified Willys distributor. I seems to be working great. It has a lot of advance.

29. Well guys, I have been following the banger meetings for years and have enjoyed them all.

I have had my '31 A rumble seat coupe for about 4 years now. I've had it for so long and have gone through many, many visions for the completed project. From heavily chopped and channelled, to 50's east coast style and a few other styles floated through my small brain.

I have come to the conclusion that I really want a pre-war, banger powered high boy. I will run with no fenders but with a full hood.

Like a dumbdumb I got rid of the banger that came with it but with the assistance of Chris I made up my mind to buy another one;

[​IMG]

It's a complete runner just recently removed. It has old chrome shifter and parking brake handle. I can't wait to install it into this poor thing;

[​IMG]

My plans for the engine are very basic; install it, get it running, build my own intake and header and drive it.

Thanks for all the inspiration throughout the years. I am very excited about my decision.

BloodyKnuckles