Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who cruised Van Nuys Bl in the 70's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Sep 26, 2006.

1. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Mirrors? Yeah know all about them, why do you think I'm so loopy!!! LOL.

2. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

THE STRIPE on the Falcon;)? Not so much!:cool:

3. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

WHAT COLOR IT WAZ??????? Are you frickin nutz??????????????? I was lucky to see it was a MOPAR van!!!!!! Scared the livin crap outa me. Yeah, I screamed like a lil bitch! I admit it.:eek:

4. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

You need to visit this site more my friend, I'm writting 3 books and am looking for investors in a movie to be titled "The Valley Boyz" and, you guessed it, it's about the group in Van Nuys that tore up the nite. Got anything you want to ad to the books/movie, put it on here. Most people that visit know this. Did you know that you can go back pages? I didn't. You can go all the way back to where GROUCHO started the thread. It's good reading my friend.

5. Yep, Speedmasters was there. I would just go over there and drool at the cars. I remember their '57-60? Ford panel was parked up front. My mother was a waitress at a deli on Vanowen and Van Nuys back then. I'd walk down there and stop along the way. Johnny Angel's used cars was up a ways from there and he always had hotrods and customs for sale. A&W was I think next door to Johnny Angel's and a rootbeer float was always good.

6. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Next door to A&W was the tune up shop that they used in the movie "HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS" on the other side was a vacant lot as I recall. And I spelled GROUCHO's name wrong, sorry GROUCH, layin on the COUCH, yuk, yuk.

7. Ok, yeah I remember that. After Hollywood Knights the place was empty.

Got'cha, We may have met. I also worked at LACR from '77-'97. Think I even know a few people Groucho knows. Think Fast Eddie from PDQ intro'ed me to him. Small world here.

8. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

I never attended ANY races at Terminal and knew so many people but none of it was a blur. I held every waking minute to my heart and my mind. I knew this day and the rest of my days would come and I have held tightly to each one. It's people like you that rattle some of the dust off the otherwise flawless memories of EVERYBODIES that I collected and will reproduce in print. Without all of you I would have been no more than a whisper in time.

9. Over the years I have worked at many tracks. Seattle, IRP, Gateway, LACR, Famoso, Ascot, Bakersfield Speedway, Sears Point/Infinion, Kingdon, Las Vegas (Old and New), Pomona and a few fair grounds races. Even did a few races in Europe, New Zeland and Australia from a comfy studio, but never made it to Terminal Island. Sorry I missed that one.

10. Yeah, Fast Eddie Salvatore. GREAT guy. We prolly met through him. Our shops were across the street from eachother for 15 years. Hey Gotcha, don't worry about mis-spelling my name. You gotta hear what my my friend's dad calls me:eek:

11. hey groucho! did you give eddie heads up on the june 10 cruise?

can't believe you got rid of the chevy already!

12. Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about selling it. My shop's been real slow, and I have BILLS! I told Gotcha to give you 1st shot at an 8-track tape player he knows about. I'll call Eddie right now. I forgot about him, since we aren't neighbors any more

13. Road Kings meeting Tuesday. I'll print out the flier for Eddie. Last I heard he was in Arkansas. Can you imagine him there??? They'll shoot his ass in no time flat...LOL

14. Have you seen pics of his place there? AMAZING!

15. No, I didn't even know he had gone until Kimmy said so at the pic nic a few weeks ago. He didn't make the parade either. Kim and hubby were there, but no Eddie and that's a first.

Wonder if he is near Grabouski?

16. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

I absolutely remember the red Camaro and you putting the Ford engine in it. I've told that story many times...Everyone thought you were nuts, even back then...LOL!!!

17. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Pictures of the "MAD AMERICAN" are coming!!!!! And Drag scoops and National Dragster and my god I can't believe the stuff I unfolded that has been packed away for DECADES!!!!!!! You guys are gonna squirt yourselfs! Hold on to yur seat belts boys.

18. Found my Van pics from '72. Cruised every chance I could on Van Nuys.

Attached Files:

19. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

I like the "period correct" wood bumper....

20. Genuine pine with walnut stain....

21. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Hay Bob, looks like Jerry Dames striping! One ass kickin striper! Really admired his work. And was/is one hell of a good guy. He's in Mid-Oregon last I heard. Could be MOSS' work also, another great artist, not so much striping but like Dame could knock out some really nice lettering.

22. Bill Carter did the stripes for me. Took him about 2 hours and a 6 pack

23. Bill's a great guy, and an amazing talent! For the younger guys.....Bill's painted everything........

Dragsters
    Funny Cars
    Race Cars of all types
    Hot Rods
    Magazine Project Cars
    Tow vehicles -lots of Duallies
    Bikes
    Lowriders
    Choppers
    Drag/Ski boats
    Off Road stuff.
    His paint jobs had to have graced at least 50-100 magazine covers throughout the years

24. Last I heard Bill had a shop in Chatsworth. He was in No.Hollywood/Van Nuys area on Burbank Blvd accross the street from Valley College when he did my van.

25. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

GOTTA call ya on that one Bob. You may have had it done at Carters shop (which was in Downtown San Fernando back then, but Walt Prey would have most likely done the lines. He was Carters "man" for lines. Your right Groucho, Carter is an icon in the scheme of things and has cheated the devil of his due!! How Bill and Walt made it this far in life just amazes me!!! I could not last a day partying with these SUPER MEN!! I have to be completely straight to stripe /letter or create a knockout paint job. Even when I party you can hear humming! We just have different ways of doing things. And it all seems to work out.

26. Nope, it was Bill. It was fall of 1972 and his shop was accross the street from Valley College on Burbank Blvd just east of the RR tracks at Fulton Ave. I don't remember Walt. Bill was alone that day and I spent it with him as he worked..

27. I remember going to that shop. KILLER sub sandwiches next door at "Union Sub" in the early 70's!!!!!!!!! Across from Carter's was another talent @ Lemans Ent. Will Cosby or Crosby. Billy Westbrook, another real talent worked for Will after school and built some amazing bicycles there

28. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

I thought I was wrong once before but I was only mistaken.

29. A guy worked there went by "Delgato" He made a Vega Kamback into a pick up with killer fender flares. I'd love to have that car.

Union Sub Shop was the place to eat between classes.

Saw Fast eddie to night. He says Hi..Ok, he said other words too, but these are the ones I can say LOL

30. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

My crew loved the Philly Steak subs on Van Nuys Blvd across the street from Mambo burger, Stan Alexanders place who also was the owner of Autocessories on Sepulveda, where a lot of us would buy our L-50x15's for $24.95!!:eek: Van accessories, Custom wheels (Blems) for as low as a dollar an inch (by width) A 15x10 cost $10 BUCKS!!!:eek: So what if they were a LITTLE outa round:rolleyes: or had an apperance booger.:eek: CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!:confused: We loved it.:eek: