Register now to get rid of these ads!

Keeping your car secure?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Westside Lefty, May 12, 2009.

1. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

So I've got a kill switch, brake lock, hood lock. Any other ideas? I don't have a garage and I live in a shitty neighborhood. Just put a bunch of cash in my car and now I'm a little cautious. Any advice is appreciated.

2. iamspencer

iamspencer

chain its easy to see and people dont want to mess with it ive chained cars to trees where i used to live. or it its a standard, chain is around the bottom of seat to hodl it back into gear

3. LO-JACK,
    fuel cut-off,
    boot on front & rear wheel
    chain to a tree, manhole, another car
    Chain the hood down
    and for the window smashers....
    this!!!!

4. skunx1964

skunx1964

park it close and keep and ear open

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

My Ideas are only popular with some folks around here..;)

6. 62rebel

62rebel

you left cash in your car? big bills or small ones? i'll be over later tonight.

seriously, though, you sound like you got a handle on at least slowing the thieves down and for most, that's enough to stop them, unless they got a rollback. i read an article about some punk going from car to car trying to bust in and actually trying to break into a COP CAR with the Ossifer sitting inside.... punk actually shit himself!

whatever you can think of to slow them down makes them skeery of getting caught either by you or the cops. sometimes just taking the rotor button can be frustrating enough.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeah..huh i couldnt get it to load that way..oh i see now I took the &feature off the end..thats way..thanks man

9. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

I just need something for the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. I like:

www.cardefender.com

they may still smash windows, and I suppose they could tow it away, but they aren't going to start it and drive it without a good bit of time (and probably daylight) on their hands... (I've thought (only for a moment) of doing my wiring harness using only black wire to further obfuscate things... but I know that would bite me in the ass))

but there is not much deterrent value unless you do the "blinking light" thing.

my concern about my old cars is that if stolen I think they are likely to be grabbed by a professional thief who can part them out or re-do them to get the most value out of it. I don't think it will be joy riders.

I'm also a fan if Lojack but I have a question - I could not get the dealer to install it while I had my interior out and access was easiest. It's like it was important to them that their installation be "secret" but for a car I've disassembled and reassembled, there aren't many secret places from me. And I wasn't thrilled about their guys disassembling my brand new expensive interior... anybody put Lojack in a hot rod?

--steve

11. Swap the leads around on the dizzy. Works as long as the thief doesn't know the firing order or remembers to check the leads:D

That way they'll have to push or tow it.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Lojack is only good if you notify the cops quick enough..and if they care enough to get right on it..usually you dont get lucky twice.
    a Pro will have that Lo-Jack disabled within moments of stealing it..or have it someplace fast enough that the cops will never get a hook on it..
    the theifs will be sitting around the table laughing at the little black box sitting in front of them.
    You sure dont hear many stories about the ones that got recovered by Lo-jack anymore..do ya?

13. dbradley

dbradley

The things you've done will keep an newbie from taking it. If a pro wants it, nothing will prevent it. The only other thing is to try to park it where a "roll back" can't get to it.

14. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

All Track, you can locate your car using a laptop.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

these types of systems are better in my book..because you are only relying on yourself to get off your duff to go after them..
    and in a way it sames the Law into doing something about it..They hate it when you up stage them in a job they are supposed to care about..

Car theft and the law going after them..doesnt generate revinue..it costs money..I'll let you fill in the blanks

16. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I had my battery mounted under the bed and a battery cutoff switch in the cab(hidden of course) in my last hot rod.

17. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Okay... no one has posted it yet... get a Trunk Monkey...

???? Don't know why it puts 2 of them in here...

18. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

All good ideas. Thanks fellas

19. MBog

MBog

hide a gps unit in it, its worth it. If they do get you get the chance to hunt them down. You can get units that will tell you the minute it starts to move....

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Add in a FAKE kill switch in the most obvious place you can find under the dash. It will actually feed a horn relay, so horn comes on...not just noise, but a way to rattle the nerves of the perp during his exploration.
    Replace real kill switch with a 3-way...if he finds it, when he hits the third position, horns again. I had to replace punched-in doorlock and smashed steering column on a NYC friend's car 3 times...but car was never moved even though the guy finished smashing the lock to the point where car could be started by finger. Noise is very bad for these guys, and horns will not be ignored as easily as an alarm.

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

PS...I used a second set of horns, both because they were super loud and because unplugging the obvious and accessible stock horns was just too easy. Use distinctive horns, too, so you know when action quarters is sounding for YOU.

22. madmal04

madmal04
    from CA

You could always get those motion sensor lights and put on that section of your house. I know it won't stop them from doing anything, but it might scare them.

Also, on my Jeep I have an alarm system that has GPS in it and the alarm can get so sensitive that if someone puts their hand in the Jeep without touching anything (with the top off) it will go off. The only problem with it is that in the Winter time if I leave it on the sensitive, the rain sometimes sets it off. I think it's called Python alarm systems or something.