Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did I end up buying? thought they were cragar SS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, May 12, 2009.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I need to pay more attention to stuff when I go buy...I went to buy what I thought was 4 Cragar SS wheels and I thought 2 matched and the other 2 matched with one of them being pretty rough.

I go out tonight to clean off the dirt that was covering them and here is what I found out.

2 match. They have a sema sticker on the inside (no pic of that yet) and have stamped in them Made in the USA. They resemble Cragar SS but the spokes are not rounded...they go to a point. They are 14x7 and they fit on my 4.5 ford bolt pattern Falcon. These two are going to buff out nice!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One other is a 14x7 and is a Cragar SS. The spokes are rounded and it is stamped made in Mexico.
    [​IMG]

The one that is shot is a 15x7 cragar SS stamped made in Mexico.
    [​IMG]

Are they all Cragar SS? Did the style change at some point? or what are the first two?

One other thing I noticed is the single 14" Cragar SS is the kind of uni lug that uses the offset washers. The matching pair do appear to be a uni lug but do not have the recess for the washers. was there a different uni lug setup at some point?

Thanks,

2. SYCO620

SYCO620
    from Merced, Ca

First two look like Astros but I could be wrong.

3. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

4. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Posting a Astro and Rader here for comparing...

Rader
    [​IMG]

Astro
    [​IMG]

Rockets
    [​IMG]

5. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Do the astro spokes go to a point or are they rounded? looks like they are rounded. The Rader (which i have never heard of till tonight) look to have a point on the spoke.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

One style of "uni-lug" uses an inset washer slug with the lug hole reversable for 2 different patterns.
    Another style has a smaller width slot and use a thick washer under a tube nut to make up the pattern difference. The tube nut shank fits the slot pretty close.

7. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

Radirs (not er... that must be a cheapo knockoff) have three spines in each spoke, they're not what you're looking for. Check out the American Racing or the Rockets, those'r more like it.

8. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

yeah, found a rocket...they look a lot like those.

well the purchase turned out to be informational to me so it makes it all worth while.

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The pointed spoke and the way the uni-lug looks may be a Western Wheel,right prior to closing up International Wheels out of Bencia,CA had cast some wheels similar to those they would be very rare the International has a thicker center and the slot will have a taper rather than being straight up and done.

10. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

Personally, I think they look cooler than the Cragars. Different, ya know?

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Rader mag illustrated actually has a fairly flat spoke face with a central rib.

Rader, I believe, was the original name of the wheels, often bastardized as "Radar" and now made as "Radir", I know not why.

The coolest wheel Rader made, in my perverse opinion, is a front only
    5-spoke with round spokes melding into a central smooth hub with machined bolt pockets. Very stylish when paired with wider slotted mags as illustrated in their catalog on a 55 or 56 Chevy gasser, advertising their hot new product, lakes pipe finned covers. I've only seen one pair of these ever on the front of a 26-27 T roadster which visited Specialized Auto Parts store in Houston over 25 years ago and then disappeared.

12. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

well...back out to the shop to take a look and see if there is anything else stamped under the dust/dirt and to get a picture of the sema sticker on the inside of them.

I like them and they will clean up nicely. They just have dirt/dust/film on them.

13. SYCO620

SYCO620
    from Merced, Ca

See...told you I could be wrong.... But I dont think so. Look how the spokes go into the mounting plate. The rockets are raised above while the Astro supremes are damn near flush. Theyre def not Radirs. Heh, always good to have a question to ponder.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  14. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

I didn't know that. :) Interesting.

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

I really liked the look of Rockets better than SS Cragar's, But they were known for having a problem and it happened to me twice and a friend once, they would crack from the lug hole out,..... it was a shame because I really did like them better.
    [​IMG]

16. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

The one with the pointed spokes is a Rocket for sure...The one with the black spokes looks to be a Cragar GT...Same as the SS but painted spokes. The cap looked like an SS but had GT and instead of blue paint on the cap, they were red...Haven't seen one of those in years...

17. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

It appears the matching pair that might be Rockets...one was made in USA and one was made in Mexico.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. hemi

hemi

Peaked spokes are Rockets....

19. vertible59

vertible59

Don't think those are knockoffs. The spokes are polished aluminum and the rims are chromed steel...Mickey Thompson wheels, aka Raders.:confused:

20. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

It appears I spoke in error. I was wrong. :eek:

21. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

the first two look like first generation american racing to me. torque thrusts

22. Cragars rule! I like the looks of the rocket wheels though.

23. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Keystone made a clone of the Crager SS, I believe they were also called Raiders, this may be where some of the confusion is. The only difference between them and the Crager SS's were the center cap.

24. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

Your first two are definately Rockets!! I just bought a set of four them for $100.
    I was told they were Crager s/s also, until he got them out of the rafters. The first set that I have ever seen!!

25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

26. Slowlow

Slowlow

100% look like Rockets to me.
    The first two that is.

27. Yea, thay're rockets all right. I could be wrong, but arent astro's all steel? rockets were composite wheels(cast aluminum center with steel rim) like cragars. As stated earlier, the big differance was the spokes having a defined rib in the middle on the rocket, where the crager are rounded.

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I saw some sevral years ago that looked like these, the name on them was FENTON