Register now to get rid of these ads!

The HAMB outreach list for the newer rodders! Mentors needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

im not much of a mechanic but would still help were I can. Id also be open to helping someone with striping

2. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

That's the attitude that I was picturing when I read this thread. I know there has to be some structure to it if there's gonna be a setup through HAMB, but I don't know that there has to be much. I just picture it being a couple of guys (or gals) getting together and sharing beers and swapping stories about life while turning a wrench or two together.

Like some have said, age isn't the only factor here either. I feel like I could probably help out a few people with quite a few things, but bodywork/fabricating is not in my blood! I have done all the mechanical and structural stuff with the car, I just need to figure out the body stuff. I'm completely humble about what I know and don't know and just want to learn more!

3. jangleguy

jangleguy

This is why I'm a HAMBer. I pretty much grew up apprenticing under Rocky and finally went into the biz full-time in '96. I've learned some stuff, but am always hungry for more knowledge. The HAMB is the best forum for info exchange I've ever found. But anyone interested in hands-on info swapping is welcome at my garage. C'mon over...
    Scotty

4. duste01

duste01

I have an 11 year old that is chomping at the bit to build. He is in the avatar on the left(2years ago). I am going to teach him everything that I can, but I would love for him to work in a real shop and learn in that setting as well. He is eager to learn and doesnt come with an attitude. Anybody want him...summer is coming.

5. Fatmyke

Fatmyke

I am a 27 year old that is always willing to learn more when it comes to rods...if there is anyone it the Sacramento Ca area that wants to mentor me I am always down!!!

6. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

I would like to thank 36-3Window for taking me up on this. I will be helping him build a 40 Ford!!!:D I'm pumped. If i can't work on my dreams i may as well help someone else work on theirs. :cool:

7. bellydraggin63

bellydraggin63

young guy willing to learn or teach. really wantin to learn to stripe and do lace paint.

8. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

I got exactly what I was looking for from a couple of guys from my town. I had no idea that they were around, but they offered to let me use their shop and expertise as long as I do the work myself. That's exactly what I was looking for and it thrills me that there are guys out there like that.

And I think it works out great for both party's- I gain new knowledge and new skills, and in return, I help them out with their projects wherever I can. I also hope that I might change some "hearts and minds" about some of us "young punks!"

9. martell06

martell06

This is a great idea. I'm from Cleveland but in college in Midland, Michigan. It kills me not being able to work in my garage while at school. 21 yrs old with 2yrs in vo-tech for collision repair and 3yrs experience in a body shop doing custom and restoration work. If anyone in the area could use a hand, let me know.

10. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Chandler, you are right around the corner from me, we should get together, I can do pretty much any restoration/build/mechanic job but don't do paint.

11. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

Anyone in San Jose interested? I'd be willing to go to your shop and at least sweep or some shit to learn anything and everything. Not looking for you to come fix my car for free, I just want to know how so I can do it.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

My shop is open almost every Saturday, but there is work to be done. Not just hangin out.

13. boldventure

boldventure

Keeping your shop open to "just hang out" sounds like and interesting idea!
    Do you get much attendance?

14. metalman

metalman

I'm all for the mentor thing, that was where I learned a lot of the craft, a 70 year old bodyman taught me metal bumping and lead work when I was 18 in exchange for me sanding cars, a top notch welder taught me how to fab by helping him build his roundy-round at night when I was 20.
    Here's the problem today. My wife works in the legal field and the stories of stupid lawsuits is staggering. I'll be the first to try and teach any young guy anything I can but as far as them working in my shop... don't think so. One accident and the nicest guy in the world can get the idea everything you own he now deserves cause it's YOUR fault he didn't put on his safety glasses (his lawyer told him so) and put an eye out. Insurance won't cover it cause it's not an employee, shouldn't of been in the shop so they won't help. Sorry, thanks to me seeing this crap happen everyday really changed me, untill the courts start making people once again assume personal responsibilty no one gets to use my shop or tools. I am sorry I feel this way and sorry if I'm raining on the parade here, just food for thought.

15. Somebody teach me how to weld!

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I get plenty of stoppers by, usually 3-5 every Saturday. Most have their own stuff going and know more than me anyway.:D

17. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

anyone in houston? mid level skill. no garage.

paint/body/welding/ basic machine work, I can say I am good at

wanting to really learn engine rebuild (high performance) and chassis set up.

18. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

This is a great idea, kinda like another program I belong to. Anyway, I only know what I learned from the school of hard knocks and what I have picked up here and there from others, but I am willing to share what little I know. I am in my little shop Fridays through Sundays on most week ends.

19. boldventure

boldventure

Any shops have a "hang around day" in the SF Bay area?
    I'd bring the do-nuts!

20. TomWar

TomWar

Iv'e been doing this stuff for over fifty years, and it bothers me that there are not to many young people learning hands on
    anything. I would be more than willing to pass on some of my accumulated (Knowledge??) to a willing recipient.
    Tom on Florida's Treasure Coast

21. boldventure

boldventure

I think they're out there, but you have to ask youself; when is the last time anyone offered something of real value for free, no strings or some other kind of BS?
    Back when I was a youngin' I ran an advert to work for free in a local racin' paper. I got a few takers but the follow through was usually pretty weak. Some guys that need/could use help don't know HOW to work with any one. Teaching is a special talent, so is learning!

22. junk fiend

junk fiend

im a youngin, every time some one has a build thread on here i always want to ask if i could come over and help out even if it means being a shop bitch. but i never do. i dont know much, but anything to be around cool cars and learn something.

23. willymakeit

willymakeit

My experience with being mentored was positive. My autobody teacher was into 53/56 F100's. I helped build 2 ground up 30 yrs. ago. We became best of friends , going to shows ect. There was more of lifes problems solved over the hood of a truck, than sitting on a couch. He passed away 20 yrs. ago and this year his wife told me to come and get his 56 daily driver. I am in the process of building it in my new shop. It will be my driver also. As you can tell I still miss him. I dont mind continuing what was gave to me.

24. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Very Cool story

25. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Bump for a mentor in houston/galveston

26. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I have also been around cars all my life. Even worked professionaly on them for 20 years. But this whole scratch build has alot of hoops to jump through.

Its easy to change parts,But building them and fabricating them is a whole other animal.

I am up for a good mentor. Not someone to build my car. But to steer me in the right direction on frames and suspension fabrication. I have all the tools needed for it. Just that this will be my first scratch build and I want to do it right the first time.

Looking for someone in the East Bay. I am in Newark.

Thanks in advance

27. If there's any kids around the northeast PA area, I'll gladly teach 'em how to fuck up stuff and procrastinate!

28. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I gotta tell ya - I have learned more from Ron Ek - this guy in chicago area than I have learned in all the reading I have done.........

one hour with the guy and you get to hear so much stuff and if you are in the garage - forget it - I almost need a recorder to remember all the stuff he is blowing by me - it is great when you can find these guys that are willing to give out the info.......
    I have tried locally to get a couple of elder statesmen to help - they blow me off

anyone in the Quad City Iowa / Illinois area that wanna help some guy that dont know jack about flatheads?

ha

GREAT thread

and even though I have been around rides - it was all muscle cause that was what my dad was into- this is a whole new area for me and that is why I enjoy it so much

I can talk corvettes and mustangs and chargers - but I have already been around that my whole life..............THIS is all new and that is why it is so much fun

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't know alot, but anyone who was interested in building and driving a Bonneville car, I have done that a few times and I am doing it again. Little harder for me to get around than it used to be. But it could get you on the salt on the cheap.

30. jangleguy

jangleguy

Attention young/new guys: Wake up and grab this opportunity, or regret it forever. These are some big time guys, offering to mentor you! Unbelievable...