Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know about old flatbottom boats?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, May 10, 2009.

1. kustomkat

kustomkat

Sangers are the Camaro of the flatbottom world, at least on the west coast. That is not a bash on a Camaro. It is my way of saying they are common.

It isn't a Raysoncraft as I have one of those.

Maybe a Howard??

Anyway you can take a picture of it from the rear???

2. How's this?

[​IMG]

3. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Right out of high school, I was working for a Corvette body/paint shop...boss had an 18' Sanger Hydro with a blown/injected gas, 500" Chevy that I got to crew on...tow vehicle was an El Camino with a slanted Laguna nose, all painted to match the boat, candy red and tangerine with fogged and flaked panels, that we painted at the shop!

Pretty exciting stuff for a 17 yr.old!

4. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

5. That sounds like pretty exciting stuff for an "any" year old!!!

6. cafekid

cafekid

could be a racing craft or a schiada??????

7. That looks just like my kids Hallett right down to the cav plate.

8. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Are you sure it's not "Hondo" ?

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

All of my buddies had them in the early seventies. I can tell you that they are the scariest ride that I've ever had. I've gone faster in cars and on bikes but this was the scariest. Look at the pictures and think about how high you are sitting. Nothing around you. No windshield, no seat belt and no V bottom to slice through the waves. Ever stick your head out of the window above 100 MPH?

If you get near a 100 MPH on lake with a slight "chop" on a flat slab that pounds every ripple with a jolt that want's to dislodge your teeth and the sensation that you will be ejected at any moment you'll understand. A V bottom softens the blows like a shock absorber. A flat bottom is like having no suspension on a hot rod. You've got a screamin' open header engine 24" behind your head. Oh yeah no real brakes! The pounding of a flat bottom on the water at speed is incredible. Sensory over load.

Yeah the prop acts like a parachute to slow you down if you leave it in gear (in and out box). My buddy was coming up to the pier with another friend on the bow to tie us off. My buddy shifted out of gear eliminating any drag. My friend on the bow put his feet up to stop us from going under the pier. He slid on his ass from the bow all the way to the cockpit. He was just about to fall in cockpit with us when he got the boat stopped.

If you want a thrill, take a ride in a flat bottom drag boat wearing only swim trunks propelled by a built BBC that can do over a 100MPH in a 1/4 mile. You might need to get the seat upholstery surgically removed from your rectum. I can say I did it but I don't miss it.:D There is a huge difference between a fast ski boat and a flat bottom drag boat. Don't ever confuse a "Jet boat" with a real flat bottom. We called them toilet boats because it was like flushing a toilet.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  10. I have never seen a cavitation plate run from the center of the boat to the rear. I have only seen them run across the transom bottom from side to side. I had a Howard and I don't think the original post is a Howard.

11. flynstone

flynstone

definition of a boat (a hole in the water that you throw money into) nice vintage boat. i have a nordic (jet) you can actually fish tail a jet boat....some fun. the only problem is no room ...............

12. flyin-t

flyin-t

This is the site where you're likely to find your answer, lots of v-drive guys in the know and most of them do belong to the other site listed too. This board is much bigger and more active though.

http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

You'll have to join to post pictures, or if you want I can do it for you.

The boat at one time just fell off the books and was re-registered as 'homemade', happens all the time. Could have been stolen too. If the thing was made after 1973 or so, (I think the actual law went into effect in '72 but most of the shops didn't do number until '74, I know we didn't) there will be numbers in the glass on the right hand side of the transom. If they're not there, it's an earlier hull, or they were ground off.

13. There's no numbers in the place of other boats I've had in the past (right transom). I just joined and posted. Thanks

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  14. SSTONY

SSTONY
    from OhiO

Can someone tell me why the steering wheel is on the left side of most west coast speed boats ? Just thought i would ask. :confused:

15. I thought boats with inboard motors had the steering wheel on the left, and outboard motors on the right? Not East coast/West coast thing

16. Killer

Killer

are you gonna post this on every damn website on the whole internet?!?!!

Looks like a Schiada.

goto riverdaves.com hit the Schiada section. See if someone can put you in contact with the man....

17. Killer

Killer

18. YES, why wouldn't I? It's called "networking".

No HIN# on boat that I've found

19. Killer

Killer

on the TITLE.

20. TomWar

TomWar

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_3908144 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: Anyone know about old flatbottom boats?
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Can someone tell me why the steering wheel is on the left side of most west coast speed boats ? Just thought i would ask. :confused:
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

TORQUE

21. bcf

22. Killer

Killer

Details for Manufacturer Identification Code BCF
    <!-----Insert search results below ----> <table id="tblMIC" style="border-width: 0px;" border="0"><tbody><tr id="Row1"> <td id="tcMICLabel" valign="top"> MIC:
    </td><td id="tcMIC" class="tablebody" valign="top">BCF</td><td id="tcStatusLable" valign="top"> Status:
    </td><td id="tcStatus" class="tablebody" valign="top">Out of Business</td> </tr><tr id="Row2"> <td id="tcCompanyLabel" valign="top"> Company:
    </td><td id="tcCompany" class="tablebody" valign="top">BOICOURT MARINE</td><td id="tcCompOffLabel" valign="top"> Company Official:
    </td><td id="tcCompanyOff" class="tablebody" valign="top"> BOICOURT, JIMMY</td> </tr><tr id="Row3"> <td id="tcParentCoLabel" valign="top"> Parent Company:
    </td><td id="tcParentCo" class="tablebody" valign="top">
    </td><td id="Tablecell3" valign="top"> Parent MIC:
    </td><td id="tcParentMIC" class="tablebody" valign="top">
    </td> </tr><tr id="Row4"> <td id="tcAddrLabel" valign="top"> Address:
    </td><td id="tcAddr" class="tablebody" valign="top">PO BOX 667</td><td id="tcCityLabel" valign="top"> City:
    </td><td id="tcCity" class="tablebody" valign="top">TOLEDO</td> </tr><tr id="Row5"> <td id="tcStateLabel" valign="top"> State:
    </td><td id="tcState" class="tablebody">WA</td><td id="tcZipLabel" valign="top"> Zip:
    </td><td id="tcZip" class="tablebody">98591</td> </tr><tr id="Row6"> <td id="tcCountryLabel" valign="top"> Country:
    </td><td id="tcCountry" class="tablebody">
    </td><td id="tcPhoneLabel" valign="top"> Phone:
    </td><td id="tcPhone" class="tablebody">2069785393</td> </tr><tr id="Row7"> <td id="tcFaxLabel" valign="top"> Fax:
    </td><td id="tcFax" class="tablebody">
    </td><td id="tcBusInLabel" valign="top"> In Business:
    </td><td id="tcBusIn" class="tablebody">7/29/1992 12:00:00 AM</td> </tr><tr id="Row8"> <td id="tcDteOutLabel" valign="top"> Out of Business:
    </td><td id="tcDteOut" class="tablebody">6/8/1994 12:00:00 AM</td><td id="tcDteModLabel" valign="top"> Date Modified:
    </td><td id="tcDteMod" class="tablebody">6/13/1994 12:00:00 AM</td> </tr><tr id="Row9"> <td id="tcTypeLabel" valign="top"> Type:
    </td><td id="tcType" class="tablebody">Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon BoatsInboards, Cabin Cruisers</td><td id="tcAddAddrLabel" valign="top"> Additional Address:
    </td><td id="tcAddAddr" class="tablebody">factory address: 1610 Hwy 12 Ethel, WA 98542</td> </tr><tr id="Row10"> <td id="tcCommentsLabel" valign="top"> Comments:
    </td><td id="tcComments" class="tablebody">BEACH-CRAFT BOATS PO BOX 125 MULVANE KS 67110 OOB 05/07/76. BOICOURT MARINE OOB 06081994 PER MSO SEA.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

23. Killer

Killer

I still think its a Schiada or a Schiada splash.. send the pics to Shiada and see what they say.

Problem with HIN#'s, they weren't necessary until 1970-something. Some builders put a serial number somewhere (usually on a stringer at the rear).. Some didn't. Alot of times, somewhere through its life, most early flatbottoms get titled as "homemade". Easier to do it that way than prove its a Hallett, Hondo, etc...

24. So, this isn't really proof what my actual boat is? Since the number is on the title and not necessarily on the hull itself

25. junk fiend

junk fiend

anybody want a 16ft 1966 Tahiti. go to havasu much?

26. Killer

Killer

yep. just proves whos HIN they used to register it...

27. Killer

Killer

V drive???

We go to Needles.

28. zbuickman

zbuickman

I was wondering the same... Theere all Right hand drive here

And to answer a answer earlier definatly not a checkmate. that was athe "camaro" speedboat here for a while. personaly like hydrostreams But Id like that one too with cleen seats:D

29. WTF?:confused:

30. flyin-t

flyin-t

Post up a picture of the id plate, if my dad rigged it I might be interested.