Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New Project - 1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad S., May 10, 2009.

1. Brad S.

Brad S.

I put my bike up for sale when I heard there was a shovelhead project available at an attainable price. Of course a sporty doesn't command a lot of money so any offer I got was either stupid....or a trade of some kind. I had offers for late model cars and junky 4X4's. One guy wanted to give me two 4 wheelers. Crap.

Then...

This guy from south of Houston sends me a pic of this and wants to know if I'll trade.

[​IMG]

Welp. That's a helluva trade up in my opinion. How many 1960 two door Oldsmobiles are around these days?

(The wife is digging the picture the guy sent.)

Rode the bike down to Stafford (after the wife told me if I waited a week it may be gone) and made the trade. I figured if it was too much for me I could sell the car for well more than I had in the sportster. Then as the wife and I kept looking at it on the trailer (the guy towed it home for me) it really started growing on me.

In the driveway....looks good.

Today? Damn. It's a keeper. Especially after my wife busted her ass getting ALL the junk and trash out of it. Cleaned everything. Found all the fucking holes and rust and all the shit that I will have to fix. BUT...she digs it so what do you do. Happy mothers day? Bah. She deserves more than this but if she likes it so be it.

1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88. All original except for the pearl white paint, wheels, and gold pinstripe added in the sixties. Plans are to fix all the rust (two doors from Arizona in the trunk) and get it resprayed with a flake white, gold or bronze pinstripe, with a gold or bronze laced roof. So says the woman.

We have all the trim and ornaments including two chrome fender skirts. She took some of it off since it was loose. Can't believe all the shit that we don't have to find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So while she was cleaning out her new 1960 Dynamic....I was working on the Roadster. Rebuilding the top I built for Roundup and cutting a few inches out of the windshield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. Wow! Thats a hell of a trade!

3. Brad, not sure what your bike was worth, but looks like you scooped up one hell of a fine automobile! The lines on these cars are so cool, and you won't have to worry too much('cept for VLV) about seeing another one like it. Seems like plenty of basic parts available to keepit going down the road. Slim Jim trans sucks, but hopefully you got a good one.
    PM me if you need a list of Rocket parts suppliers.

From the looks of the window sticker, Florida is where the rust came from. Humidity is brutal on our cars down here. Keep us posted on the progress, included a few pictures for insperation.:cool:
    JT

Attached Files:

4. Squablow

Squablow

Did the continental kit come with it? That should be worth a few resale bucks. Looks like an excellent trade to me. I like those wire wheels too.

5. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

Excellent trade dude. No offence but I like the look without the continental kit.

6. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

Sportsters are hard to sell and you got a great looking Olds. Your wife is giving you good advice.

7. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

I'd drive it. I am partial to the 1960 GM cars tho. :D

8. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Thats gonna be killer when you get it done!

9. phukinartie

phukinartie

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what kind of Sportster?

that's a nice looking car there.

11. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Daaaaaaaaaammmmmnnnnnn, that car beats a Sporty any day. Awesome trade, and awesome car. Those are siiiiiiiiick

13. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

SWEET trade!

Congrats!

14. leocad

leocad
    from LA, CA

good trade!!! I dont think there is one 1960 GM coupe that I dont like.

the rear end on that thing is ridiculous, this car is on my list of cars to have.

I too think that the continental kit is better off.

15. great trade! I like the lines of the car.

16. DUDE! Great score! Looks like a complete car, all the hard to find stuff is still there. Are those Buick wheels? Ya just don't see a lot of Oldsmobiles from that era, far outnumbered by the Chevys. I'd be real tempted to drive it the way it is! Your gal must be a cool chick, you are blessed.

17. aldixie

aldixie

Hey Brad, Nice trade. I'd seen that car up for sale for a few weeks. Trade seems the way to go in this economy. I've just put up my camaro to see if I can trade it for something earlier.

Alex

18. rusty28a

rusty28a

Nice olds! Had a customer who's parents had one when they lived in Panama. Talked him into buying another one and man it sounds like no other engine I have ever heard. Sweet!

19. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Dude you stole that car! Gotta love those 60 Olds, I'd have one but it wouldn't fit in my garage :)

20. I remember those FL inspection tags. It was a pain in the ass and after studies they decided it didn't accomplish anything. I'm glad we got rid of them. They were state run. In some states it's private industry and I'm always Leary of that set up.

21. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

Looks like it matches your midcentury Ranch nicely!
    I love seeing "era correct" cars matched up with houses!
    Good SCore!

22. Racrdad

Racrdad

Yep you make a good trade. Sounds like you have a cool wife too!

23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Was that car sitting off Murphy Drive in Stafford / Missouri City? I drove by a white '60 Olds 88 on a business trip, didn't have a chance to stop and look, but it had a $3k price tag shoe polished on the glass.

I can't see photobucket, imageshack, et al at work anymore, so I'm not sure if it's the same car.

Hell it almost has to be, there might be 3-4 of them in the whole country! :D Great score.. I'm jealous. ;)

24. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'll get a sportster if you have buyer's remorse.
    Man THATS a score. and ya dont have to wear a hemmet when dribben it.

25. Brad S.

Brad S.

I promised I wouldn't say what all the guy had or where I got it from exactly. The guy I got it from is a lurker who I'm going to try and convince to become active. He's got some super cool stuff happening and it would have blown some of you away if he had been able to bring his planned project to LSRU. I was stunned looking at it. Crazy cool.

I definitely don't think I stole the car since I love being on two wheels but I know what you're saying. This is definitely looking like a much more worthwhile project than what I initially imagined it would be.

This is going to be a helluva project considering I can't find a lot of resources for patch panels. Does anyone if the 60 Impala shared similar floor pans? I think that will be the only "big" thing that will definitely have to be replaced right away before we get it on the road for any length of time.

You know...aside from the brakes, tune up, tires, etc. :D

26. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Very cool ride, I'd ditch the continental kit as well... Hell of a nice Mothers Day gift! :D

27. InPrimer

InPrimer

Get Bill (bulletnose ) to show is '60, Bitchin car.......